Does Anyone Have Any Other Hobbies Other Than Falling Timber and Working on Saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
attachment.php
I collect old bottles.

I like emptying bottles.

White Pass finally expanded!

Havn't skied much since my knee injury 2 yrs ago. Got it fixed this winter...and have a full pass to Crystal and The Summit! Hope to get in 30-50 days, and resume ski photography. I used to make $2000-6000 a yr selling to magazines and ski areas.

YES!! The last e-mail said the new lifts were running, and the new lodge is being built. I think it will be mostly cruising runs so us old folks can feel good.
There's video on their website of putting together the towers using a helicopter.

Turning wood, all forms of bowls - both "normal" and offcenter. All fashion of spindle turning, especially boxes. Enjoy making fixtures and tolling for my woodturning. These days, the woodturning is more of a job than a hobby after my job got sent to Russia. When I get off here, I have two dozen bowls waiting on me.

Building and flying radio controlled airplanes, speed ranges from 200+mph Formula 1s to 8mph Old Timers. Favorite planes are DeNight Special and LR1A (Form 1) and Buzzard Bombshell (old timer). I also do pattern and mold making for the model race planes and I really enjoy scratch building building - either with or without plans. Also enjoy working on model nitro engines, both two and four stroke versions. Don't rally care for alky FAI engines. Without nitro, one simply isn't civilized.

Being a mainframe programmer by vocation, computers and software are also a hobby - although you really can't trust any computer that is not freon or water cooled....PCs are still toys....

Fog

waitin for sept 18 to roll around....any furball inside 70 yards is in deep trouble.
Until then I'm cleaning up around the place and pulling brush.

I have enough old milsurps to play Beau Gest and a pile of ammo to keep heads ducking for weeks. Hey SS, not only do I have two Mk 4s, but a No5 as well.

My real hobbies, I ocean fish, play with my cameras and try to convert chaotic thoughts into something reasonable. I do hit the Rye a bit.

I also play an old video game, I kill and burn 3-4 times a week

I have an SMLE No.1 Mk 3... 1906 in .303, also got a crate of ammo to go with it. It also has the windage marker on the forend for the muzzle mounted grenade launcher.

One of the most accurate rifles I own...

Gary

The .303 I have pictured has "NO. 4 MK 2 (E) scribed on the side. And has "England" on the side also. It's hard to beat a .303 for deer hunting IMO.

I have alot of cool stuff my PawPaw had from WWII. A ammo belt with Canteens in it, German Straight razor. And even a guidebook to WWII. The book is pretty cool. Shows all the pictures of "good Japs" if you guys know what good japs are.

Now I'm 100% not racist, this is just something I came across one day. It's a really old coin from france or something. But the front is restamped "KKK" in big letters and has a name "Dan" and "NY" and on the date it has "08" stamped over the original coin date beside the original 19. It must be some type of KKK medallion issued to a member in 1908! It's really cool. I'll try to get a pic of it also.

Nice to see so much appreciation for Canadian (british) SMLE's. I've owned a few and handled a lot.The local hardware stores in the middle of nowheresville Canada all stock .303

I keep running into folks from other countries that love the rifles we used, and my favourites are from countries other than my own! (M1 Garand and Swedish Mausers)

I have an SMLE No.1 Mk 3... 1906 in .303, also got a crate of ammo to go with it. It also has the windage marker on the forend for the muzzle mounted grenade launcher.

One of the most accurate rifles I own...

Gary
Sweet gun and a crate of ammo to boot. That 303 ammo is probably expesive now. The 303's are the best bolt actions to me.

What a question. Do I have any other hobbies?:help: Obviously, chainsaws are at the top of the list for the last few years, but there have been many more. Here are a few.

1. Custom computers, water-cooling etc.
  2. Moddifying most vehicles I've ever owned.
  3. Photography/Weddings
  4. Guns
  5. Yamaha Banshee, dune racer

Sweet gun and a crate of ammo to boot. That 303 ammo is probably expesive now. The 303's are the best bolt actions to me.

The actions are so smooth. They arent the very strongest made, but are very smooth. The lockup is the weak point in them. Just have to watch loading them and not get em too hot.:angry2:

The flip up sights are remarkably accurate foe such old rifles. They are very well built and can make a great hunting rifle for anyone. The recoil is very tolerable, even for a youngun. I popped my first WT with it when I was 11 yrs old. I still take it out in the brush when I'm not carrying my 45-70. I love my 45-70 and the marble open sights are hard to beat. It had ballistics identical to my muzzleloader only I can pop it off ten times fast.:hmm3grin2orange: Only difference is I'm loading 350 gr hornady hollows in the 45-70 and 250gr hornady hollows in the 50cal omega. Both going around 1700fps.

Last edited:
The actions are so smooth. They arent the very strongest made, but are very smooth. The lockup is the weak point in them. Just have to watch loading them and not get em too hot.:angry2:

The flip up sights are remarkably accurate foe such old rifles. They are very well built and can make a great hunting rifle for anyone. The recoil is very tolerable, even for a youngun. I popped my first WT with it when I was 11 yrs old. I still take it out in the brush when I'm not carrying my 45-70. I love my 45-70 and the marble open sights are hard to beat. It had ballistics identical to my muzzleloader only I can pop it off ten times fast.:hmm3grin2orange: Only difference is I'm loading 350 gr hornady hollows in the 45-70 and 250gr hornady hollows in the 50cal omega. Both going around 1700fps.
You guys are makin me want another one now. My wife will kill me if i bring another gun home though.

You guys are makin me want another one now. My wife will kill me if i bring another gun home though.

Grab ya one up man. Theyre pretty cheap around here usually. Surely she would'nt mind one more after the hundreds you have now.:hmm3grin2orange:

But you can't have mine though.

I see them for a couple hundred bucks here and there.

My next one is a BAR like the one you have or an AR-15 colt target rifle. I could have traded my 7mm remmy for a brand new colt accurized AR with the big bull barrel. I bout did it but held back. I must have one. I enjoy shooting AR's they're accurate as heck. I shot a Rock River AR the other day that was very nice. The guy we're working for had it out on his 4-wheeler.

Grab ya one up man. Theyre pretty cheap around here usually.

But you can't have mine though.

I see them for a couple hundred bucks here and there.

My next one is a BAR like the one you have or an AR-15 colt target rifle. I could have traded my 7mm remmy for a brand new colt accurized AR with the big bull barrel. I bout did it but held back. I must have one. I enjoy shooting AR's they're accurate as heck. I shot a Rock River AR the other day that was very nice. The guy we're working for had it out on his 4-wheeler.
Yep, The ar's are a nice shooter. I have an Colt ar-15A2 a Colt AR-15 A1, Two Colt M-16A1's One rifle and one carbine.

I used to be heavy into guns and such. Shot many of pounds of powder thru the ol' TC Omega. Built a custom 22 bench gun that would shoot 5 shots in under .250 at 50 yards, consistently. Not to mention I have shot lots and lots of clay pigeons.

But I have always had an obsession with motorized things. Saws just give me a motor to tinker with, and in turn I get to heat the house in the winter. Not to mention saws are a lot cheaper than guns, well at least bench guns. I have thinned the gun herd down a bunch. Heck, i think I only own 12 or 13 now. :laugh:

I used to be heavy into guns and such. Shot many of pounds of powder thru the ol' TC Omega. Built a custom 22 bench gun that would shoot 5 shots in under .250 at 50 yards, consistently. Not to mention I have shot lots and lots of clay pigeons.

But I have always had an obsession with motorized things. Saws just give me a motor to tinker with, and in turn I get to heat the house in the winter. Not to mention saws are a lot cheaper than guns, well at least bench guns. I have thinned the gun herd down a bunch. Heck, i think I only own 12 or 13 now. :laugh:
Well shoot.....That just ain't enough.lol

I know if I had all the guns I wanted, I would'nt have room for a quarter of thm.:hmm3grin2orange:

I really want a S&W performance center 357 8-shot revolver. One of these babies right here:
pistol.jpg

Latest posts

Back