Does Husqvarna have an equivalent to Stihl's 026?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are right Bob. I mixed it up with the MS260. According to the official Stihl website, the MS 260 Pro chainsaws have engine displacements of 50.2cc, or approximately 3.06 cubic inches. However, as the outdoors equipment resource website Southwest Trading notes, the older 026 models have engine displacements of 48.7cc, or approximately 2.97 cubic inches. In my own defense, it seems like my 026 PRO is stronger than any 026 that I have worked on in my shop. Maybe mine has more compression due to lack of use.
260 is a rebadged 026 pro.

Both have more EPA crap that the early 026 didn't. 0.7 mm bigger bore with not as good ports/cylinder. They do have better air filters. And adj oilers some 026 had, that don't pizz iol when idling

Im just thinking, if you want to spend your money on an outdated worn out saw| that is surely going to need a full overhaul at a considerable expense to be a reliable saw... why you do that ? :dumb:
$95 U$D used w/5 extra chains. 13 years, running fine after a clean up. Parts: new chain, rim, plug, AF.

Attachments

• 1 clean 026.jpg
    1 clean 026.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 026 CL.jpeg
    026 CL.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
The 026 has more stroke than a 246, and it shows. The 026 still has plenty rpm, later spec is at 14,000. Definitely one of my favorite Stihl's stock, and my ported one is my truck/quad saw that I run more than anything else. It is on par with my ported ms261, and both perform much better with 3/8 chain than .325.
I haven't ran it back to back with a 346 yet, but it absolutely smokes a stock 353. I think my 2149 is about on par with a stock 026.
I have 346 parts on the bench, it's just a matter of getting the time to build one.

The 026 has more stroke than a 246, and it shows. The 026 still has plenty rpm, later spec is at 14,000. Definitely one of my favorite Stihl's stock, and my ported one is my truck/quad saw that I run more than anything else. It is on par with my ported ms261, and both perform much better with 3/8 chain than .325.
I haven't ran it back to back with a 346 yet, but it absolutely smokes a stock 353. I think my 2149 is about on par with a stock 026.
I have 346 parts on the bench, it's just a matter of getting the time to build one.
I've owner several 260's along with a few 346's. The 260 is a POS compared to a 346 and for a variety of reasons.

The 346 will absolutely smoke a 026/260. The 346 is a much better saw.
That depends on
the owner - operators purpose and how they use them. When smalling things up for a chipper they are a pain having to bend over extra to pick them up from their side position they usually seem to fall over on. Most the wood cutting i do I am focused more on a safe comfortable pace. I choose a saw powerful enough to not slow me down not the 1 that I can go fastest with.

That depends on
the owner - operators purpose and how they use them. When smalling things up for a chipper they are a pain having to bend over extra to pick them up from their side position they usually seem to fall over on. Most the wood cutting i do I am focused more on a safe comfortable pace. I choose a saw powerful enough to not slow me down not the 1 that I can go fastest with.
Yes, if you want a saw that vibrates more, uses more fuel, filters air worse, cuts slower and has less torque the 260 is your huckleberry..

Yes, if you want a saw that vibrates more, uses more fuel, filters air worse, cuts slower and has less torque the 260 is your huckleberry..
I am not that delicate, the vibration of an 260 bothers me, fuel consumption hasn't been an issue probably because I equip my personal 026's with either 8 tooth .325 or 7t 3/8 which gears them higher and I don't keep using them with the air filter clogged up. Takes less then a minute to pop the cover and clear most the sawdust from the air filter so it can breath and burn fuel efficiently. I do it almost every fuel up. Not an advantage over the 346 but not a problem if the operator has a little patience. For me the compactness and the weight of an 026 is more of an advantage . If I need more torque and power I usually step up to my 034super which seems be a closer comparison in weight, compactness and more powerful to the 346. Cost to own is another factor to me. I have been around and used many hours both 346s' and 026's. A majority of 346's have been very reliable for the most but I have seen more 026's still going after more years of hard use. I expect that is why I don't see all that many ms260's but come across very many 026's so I give the 026's a fairly strong edge for reliability.

If it was a 1 saw person and expected to cut some big wood or it was their biggest saw I see the significant advantage s of the 346 and according to a person's needs and desires ones situation. All things considered though an 026 or 260 fills some niches better. Obviously not yours.

I am not that delicate, the vibration of an 260 bothers me, fuel consumption hasn't been an issue probably because I equip my personal 026's with either 8 tooth .325 or 7t 3/8 which gears them higher and I don't keep using them with the air filter clogged up. Takes less then a minute to pop the cover and clear most the sawdust from the air filter so it can breath and burn fuel efficiently. I do it almost every fuel up. Not an advantage over the 346 but not a problem if the operator has a little patience. For me the compactness and the weight of an 026 is more of an advantage . If I need more torque and power I usually step up to my 034super which seems be a closer comparison in weight, compactness and more powerful to the 346. Cost to own is another factor to me. I have been around and used many hours both 346s' and 026's. A majority of 346's have been very reliable for the most but I have seen more 026's still going after more years of hard use. I expect that is why I don't see all that many ms260's but come across very many 026's so I give the 026's a fairly strong edge for reliability.

If it was a 1 saw person and expected to cut some big wood or it was their biggest saw I see the significant advantage s of the 346 and according to a person's needs and desires ones situation. All things considered though an 026 or 260 fills some niches better. Obviously not yours.
Delicate about AV? Stihls bad AV?

Guys, I grew up in the 1970s. I worked on a farm , and when not farm working cleared brush/cut cordwood.

I did that with a Homie XL Super. One day the the boss said (he was a good guy) "why aren't you still cutting?"..."I'm out of gas"....."All 5-gal?".... "Yup"

That's a whole lot of work with a non-AV saw in about 7 hours. Ever done such?

Then I got "rich" and found a Stihl, but my Dad's same Homie XL still runs and gets a bite of wood every few years....don't ***** about AV if you got some.

EPA/Stihl screwed the 260, 026 was a better saw , if it had the better filter of the 260
The 026 filter design while slightly different than the 260, never the less still sucks.
And yes the Stihls half assed attempt at making the saw meet epa regs was a disaster. The 260's with fixed jet carbs are not even runnable to me.

The stihl 260 and a 346 are very dang close in weight and size.

Pulling a 25, my 026 is dead on the heels of
my 10mm 044... It is a long way from stock though.

I have yet to build a 346, but that 026 is stronger than my 254.... I wouldn't dream of saying that about a stock one.

I've had ported 260's by 3 builders and 346s by 2. The 346 ported kills the 260 ported.

I've had ported 260's by 3 builders and 346s by 2. The 346 ported kills the 260 ported.
Like I said, I have yet to do a 346, I have a 353 chassis and a new NE 346 top end on the bench. Just need to get around to putting it together.
I also need to port my spare 254 jug. That long stroke makes it a very strong saw even stock, and my 026 is only barely stronger than it. It's my yardstick that I measure 50cc class saws by, we will see if I can make the 346 outrun the stock 254.

Back