Does modifying exceed the manufacture specs.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaseyForrest

I am NOT a tree freak.
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
How about it. If a company like Stihl offers a DP exhaust cover, how can it be exceeding their own specs?? I was under the impression that the EPA is forcing companies to restrict the exhaust so much power is going down, and opening it up not only increases power, but allows it to run cooler.

But lets not limit it to just the exhaust, how about things like Woods mods, and such. Are we really exceeding the manufactures specifications for things like clutches, cases, cranks....on and on...

CaseyForrest said:
Oh...This is a "no piss zone." Please be so kind to empty your bowels before entering.

Not to split hairs, but "bowels" refers to feces. I believe the term you were looking for is "bladder" :)

CaseyForrest said:
How about it. If a company like Stihl offers a DP exhaust cover, how can it be exceeding their own specs?? I was under the impression that the EPA is forcing companies to restrict the exhaust so much power is going down, and opening it up not only increases power, but allows it to run cooler.

But lets not limit it to just the exhaust, how about things like Woods mods, and such. Are we really exceeding the manufactures specifications for things like clutches, cases, cranks....on and on...

Such mods as far I can tell would not hurt the drive assembly by the power gain. The only problem I forsee with mods is if its a saw under warranty. Any atlering the saw would void the warranty in the eyes of the manufacture. Other than that make them saws talk.....

Thall, I agree, no sense in touching a saw under warranty. What about reducing longevity after doing something like a woods mod? I have no experience with modifying a saw other than putting the Stihl DP cover on my 460 and 066.

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Fellers could we get away from bodily functions all together, no need for that sorta schit:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

THALL10326 said:
Such mods as far I can tell would not hurt the drive assembly by the power gain. The only problem I forsee with mods is if its a saw under warranty. Any atlering the saw would void the warranty in the eyes of the manufacture. Other than that make them saws talk.....

I don't get it. If it doesn't "hurt" the drive assembly, then why does it void the warranty?
And as previously discussed ad nauseum....it seems to take very little to void Stihl's 'warranty'....something as simple as not using Stihl-approved oil mix, for instance.

I think we have to leave the warranty out of the discussion and stick with the manufacturers engine specifications as a benchmark. At what point does the mod make the saw more prone to failure? More rpm's? More fuel mix adjustment capability? ....or what?
And how much can you exceed the manufacturers engine specifications before you've created a potential hazard?

CaseyForrest said:
Thall, I agree, no sense in touching a saw under warranty. What about reducing longevity after doing something like a woods mod? I have no experience with modifying a saw other than putting the Stihl DP cover on my 460 and 066.

Cassey to be fully honest with you I have around 20 Stihl's out in the ole saw shed and each one is completely stock. Mods sounds like a neat hobby to do and a good one to get more power and I doubt they hurt the saw in any fashion, may even enhance it more reliable. I can't see how they would hurt providing the RPM levels are kept within the range the saw was made to stand. Mods seem interesting and fun and maybe costly too but this ole geezer likes his saws stock. Speed and power are fun no doubt but weighing the cost of mods verses the gains would be a issue for me. My ole saws all cut plenty fast enough for me.
Reminds me Cassey, should I get a 880 in stock, ??????, hmmm, say yes???

i would like to highlight that if ANY company says to keep your warranty you must use our oil. they must GIVE you that oil no charge for the warranty period. this is why they dont say that :)

coveredinsap said:
I don't get it. If it doesn't "hurt" the drive assembly, then why does it void the warranty?
And as previously discussed ad nauseum....it seems to take very little to void Stihl's 'warranty'....something as simple as not using Stihl-approved oil mix, for instance.

I think we have to leave the warranty out of the discussion and stick with the manufacturers engine specifications as a benchmark. At what point does the mod make the saw more prone to failure? More rpm's? More fuel mix adjustment capability? ....or what?
And how much can you exceed the manufacturers engine specifications before you've created a potential hazard?

attachment.php

I think this is what Casey was referring to.....

Thall, I agree with ya there, so far the only mods I have done are the ones that come from Stihl as oe parts. NWCS is offering a sale right now, and Im thinking the 260 might get an overhaul. The $200 his service is on sale for would bring me up to what the saw cost new, as I only have $275 into it now, and bought it new from a member here!

coveredinsap said:

Sap I can't answer that but I do know for a fact if you alter the saw in any fashion during the warranty period it automaticly voids the warranty. To me it would be of no concern. If you would want to mod a new saw just use it till the warranty period is over and then mod the heck out of it if ya like.
As for hazards created by the mods themselves the biggest hazard would be the money wasted in the mod should the saw fail. I would personally kick myself in the azz if that were to happen which is another reason I like stock.
Thats not to say mods would hurt the saw in any way for I don't know one way or the other if they would. They make even make the saw more relaible, I just don't know. I do know I got stock saws out in the shed over 30 years old still running perfect so I'm from old school, stock seems to work just fine.....

CaseyForrest said:
Thall, Im asking $515 for my 066, and $450 for my 460, will that cover the cost of an 880, good ole buddy ole pal of mine?!

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=34732

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm lets see here, a new 880 runs around 1600.00
According to my ole pencil and paper here 515 plus 450 does not spell 1600.00, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,lololololol, close though,real close. Got any pennies in the piggy bank Cassey, it wouldn't take many to close this deal,hmmmmmmmmmmm

Back