Does modifying exceed the manufacture specs.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
04ultra said:
Sorry I was on another site..

Ultra why you staring at me boy, why you looking at me that way ole boy, lololol, those eyes never let up,lololololol

coveredinsap said:
I don't get it. If it doesn't "hurt" the drive assembly, then why does it void the warranty?
And as previously discussed ad nauseum....it seems to take very little to void Stihl's 'warranty'....something as simple as not using Stihl-approved oil mix, for instance.

I think we have to leave the warranty out of the discussion and stick with the manufacturers engine specifications as a benchmark. At what point does the mod make the saw more prone to failure? More rpm's? More fuel mix adjustment capability? ....or what?
And how much can you exceed the manufacturers engine specifications before you've created a potential hazard?

Sap I missed the part about the oil verses warranty. Stihl in fact does not require you buy their oil to keep the warranty in tact. They do require a oil mix at 50-1 ratio, they do not state their oil. As your well aware all companies would hope you would use their oil, you know,$$$$.
Kicking the warranty issue out the way completely I would say the main thing to watch is the same as with the stock saw, the RPM levels. The crank flexes in a 2 cycle engine beleive it or not, its made to do so. Rasing the RPM level above what the crank flex can stand would result in crank failure. The piston however would most likely melt before the crank goes out. So in all its the same deal far as I can see, the RPM levels must be kept within the range the saw can stand. After modding that range is unknown far as I know. You do raise a very valid point Sap that only people that mod saws for a living can answer. They would know the limits the engine can stand....

CaseyForrest said:
I was figuring on a little hillbilly arithmetic, I guess you are smarter than you let on!!!

I gots 10 toes and I can count them many times over and over,lololol

CaseyForrest said:
I guess Ill have to settle for a new 660, I hope Im not dissapointed.
Well now holds on there, I'm quite certain we can get that 880 you want in ya hands Cassey, its not that hard. Your already close to the figure I was thinking for ya, don't rush away from the saw you really want. The price is well within your reach. I figure you cut a few trees with the saws ya got and there ya go, money for the new saw ya want and the wife won't toss ya in the dog house either, think side money ole boy, side money, its out there to be made..............

To answer PART of the original quesion, Stihl (and other manf.) offer dual port mufflers as spares for the original machines that met the required EPA and OSHA specs when manufactured.

The 066 DP cover is for machines prior to 1995. It was discontinued from subsequent production NOT because of EPA, but because of OSHA- it was too loud. If this is put on later models, it's illegal, both for noise and now EPA.

The MS460 DP cover is severally restricted and meets both OSHA and EPA when fitted to the MS460. If you put this on the 440, you're in violation of the law.

If a dealer does the mods, they are in trouble with both Stihl (dealer agreement) and the EPA etc. If an individual does it, just the law...

Everyone make choices... cars, saws, women (oops, that justs slipped out) ...

More: If a professional saw builder modifies a saw, and states that it won't affect the life of the saw, or, impact saftey, then they should offer a warranty the same as the OEM, and indemnification for EPA/OSHA and other issue. HA!!!! Sure... I'm Just saying this for discussion purposes..

My 2C, I don't give a damn whether my saw cuts 10% or 20% faster or not. One or two passes though the wood and it's already slowing down as the chain wears.

Porting and increasing the bore will take it's toll. Early 044's were really just up-sized 036's. took a long time to get the wrinkles out of them with cranks, bearings etc. What make anyone think that there is a huge margin to just get more power out of crankcase without other components being stressed? I want my 1500 hrs... So maybe a mild muffer mod (breaking that law again), but the rest is not for me, at least not for a working saw..

Last edited:
Lakeside53 said:
To answer PART of the original quesion, Stihl (and other manf.) offer dual port mufflers as spares for the original machines that met the required EPA and OSHA specs when manufactured.

The 066 DP cover is for machines prior to 1995. It was discontinued from subsequent production NOT because of EPA, but because of OSHA- it was too loud. If this is put on later models, it's illegal, both for noise and now EPA.

The MS460 DP cover is severally restricted and meets both OSHA and EPA when fitted to the MS460. If you put this on the 440, you're in violation of the law.

If a dealer does the mods, they are in trouble with both Stihl (dealer agreement) and the EPA etc. If an individual does it, just the law...

Everyone make choices... cars, saws, women (oops, that justs slipped out) ...

More: If a professional saw builder modifies a saw, and states that it won't affect the life of the saw, or, impact saftey, then they should offer a warranty the same as the OEM, and indemnoification for EPA/OSHA and other issue. HA!!!! Just saying this for discussion purposes..

My 2C, I don't give a damn whether my saw cuts 10% or 20% or . faster or not. One or two passes though the woodand it's already slowing down as the chain wears.

Lake well said. Sap posed a question that probly only you can answer. I think he was saying if you take a saw that has a max RPM of 13000 and mod it and and it now runs 14000 easily how does that affect the engine and other components of the saw?????

Thall, As much as Id love to have an 880, that would mean Id have to buy new bars, and chains. Which adds to the price. Now, If I also sell my new 460, and new 260, maybe Id have enough for 1 880, with a 42" bar and a couple chains...how about it?

CaseyForrest said:
Good info Lake.....So the only way to get a DP cover for a new 660 is to make one? Or find a used one....

No.. it's available from Stihl for the older saw, and as the muffler case mounts are the same, it fits on the newer muffer... Even I have one... Cheapest and easiest 10% hp gain you'll ever get.

Last edited:
CaseyForrest said:
Thall, As much as Id love to have an 880, that would mean Id have to buy new bars, and chains. Which adds to the price. Now, If I also sell my new 460, and new 260, maybe Id have enough for 1 880, with a 42" bar and a couple chains...how about it?

Cassey read this backwards-.0541$, have we got a deal???

Lakeside53 said:
No.. it's available from Stihl for the older saw, and as the muffler case mounts are the same, it fits on the newer muffer... Even I have one... Cheapest an easiest 10% hp gain gain you'll ever get.

Andy I bought three DP covers for my shelf...oops inventory..Future saw buys..

THALL10326 said:
Lake well said. Sap posed a question that probably only you can answer. I think he was saying if you take a saw that has a max RPM of 13000 and mod it and and it now runs 14000 easily how does that affect the engine and other components of the saw?????

Sorry for the edits to the original. Messed up and went back... and it got bigger.

To answer your question:

You get nothing for free. It stresses the crap out of it, and at some RPM, things will come unhinged (I'm not talking about 13->14K here). Max rpm should be seen as reasonably sacred (unless you're just racing and understand the risks). Main bearing failure is a common problem from over speeding.

Oh yes, all you guys slapping big bore kits and over speeding your 044 - make sure you don't have the shielded crank bearings... Rip those out and replace them with the updated unshielded versions, while you still have a saw.

If you have to mod, go for increases in the torque band rather then WOT.

04ultra said:
Andy I bought three DP covers for my shelf...oops inventory..Future saw buys..

I buy mine in case I ever damage the factory one :) I have a feeling they will be diappearing from Stihl list soon...

Back