Does Stihl have a spy on AS????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the same folks who sold us all down the river for the Strato design, are sending out E-mails reminding folks not to modify thier saws?

I.E. "Eat the poop we sold you, and don't you dare put sugar or salt on it".
LOL!! sounds like them.

Yeah... I hope they do have a spy keeping tabs on things here.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Does Steel have spys on AS? of course they do. this is were they learn how to build
better saws.

Reminds me of Men in Black were they grab the tabloids off the rack for the latest alien reports. :D

But as for this post, DEAD ON.

Stihl, the same company that has employees dedicated to harrass people trying to sell used Stihl parts on Ebay by claiming intellectual property rights.... NO. Couldn't be that Stihl.

Yesterday I spoke with a steel, stil, still, steal, stihhl used parts dealer.

In the last few days him and some other ebay sellers have been under attack
from the stihl people over selling stuff that has their name in the description.

trademark infringements.

The only thing I can figure is that stihl does not want its older saws fixed up and
made to run anymore. that cuts into the sale of their new choked up epa saws.

This also aligns with the changes they are forcing on older dealers.

If they dont comply with the store front terms they are penalized and literaly forced out of buisness.

stihl is going to the dogs. all about profits and selling new throw away saws.

lets bury the Mom and Pop stores.

Stihl, the proud sponsor of the Stihl Timbersports Series. Reminding all those people participating in the Hot Saw Competition that it is illegal to modify your saws.... Wait, no... I'm confused.

They sponsor a competition featuring saws modified to the extreme, but do not acknowledge people are smart enough to modify their saws?

Stihl, the proud sponsor of the Stihl Timbersports Series. Reminding all those people participating in the Hot Saw Competition that it is illegal to modify your saws.... Wait, no... I'm confused.

They sponsor a competition featuring saws modified to the extreme, but do not acknowledge people are smart enough to modify their saws?

We aren't even people to them. Steal considers us end users...

Warning. Sarcasm in it's purest form to follow:

Stihl, the same company that has employees dedicated to harrass people trying to sell used Stihl parts on Ebay by claiming intellectual property rights.... NO. Couldn't be that Stihl.

Do they try to persuade eBay to act against lawful sellers?
Keyword : Tortious Interference

While it may be tempting to tweak your chain saw to get more power, modifications like this for normal operations are dangerous, expensive, illegal and a deal-breaker for warranties.

1. dangerous? This one is a bit of an exaggeration, but many mods are more dangerous than a stock saw. So it may be true.
  2. expensive? Without a doubt--hundreds of dollars to hack your saw up with a Dremel. Snake oil at it's most obvious.
  3. illegal? Blatantly.
  4. warranty voider? Without question. Unless you're willing to commit fraud as well.

There's more truth than exaggeration in that email. Of course, posting it on this site will have about the same effect as telling junkies that meth is not good for them. Yup, it's politically incorrect to say that meth is beneficial to you as well. Wonder why that is. . . :chainsaw:

If a muffler modded saw is tuned correctly, is there really any more unburnt fuel than the stock saw? Timberwolf has always put into perspective the combustion mixture ratio of fuel/oxygen etc. Modded saws are simply adding more of both fuel&air for a given displacement size, right?

Two strokes scavenge the exhaust gases poorly compared to four strokes.
Some of what is in the cylinder during the compression stroke will always be exhaust. If you tune it so that little to no intake charge (air and fuel at near stoichiometric ratio) is in the muffler, there will be a good bit of exhaust still in the cylinder. If you decrease the back pressure in the muffler with a muffler mod, more charge will flow through the exhaust port during scavenging, and you will have more charge in the muffler and less exhaust in the cylinder. This gives you more power and more hydrocarbon emissions.

Then you get to the stratocharged engines, which try to blow out the exhaust gases with air before introducing any fuel into the cylinder. This gives you the best of both worlds if it works right. (the muffler has exhaust/air mix in it and the cylinder has fuel/air mix in it)

I don't modify Stihl's, only Husky's that's how I get around this being a dealer.

My sales rep know I modify saws, but he said what you do in your own time out side the shop is none of his business.

I am sure that it is a more or less standardized text, written by lawyers that have a purpose with it, but limited knowledge of saws. Such a mix of truths and loose assumptions (some would say lies) smells lawyer a long way......:monkey:

1. dangerous? This one is a bit of an exaggeration, but many mods are more dangerous than a stock saw. So it may be true.
  2. expensive? Without a doubt--hundreds of dollars to hack your saw up with a Dremel. Snake oil at it's most obvious.
  3. illegal? Blatantly.
  4. warranty voider? Without question. Unless you're willing to commit fraud as well.

There's more truth than exaggeration in that email. Of course, posting it on this site will have about the same effect as telling junkies that meth is not good for them. Yup, it's politically incorrect to say that meth is beneficial to you as well. Wonder why that is. . . :chainsaw:

I have to wonder which department this communication originated from. I would guess that legal affairs had a hand in it.

Why?

Well, if the EPA comes bearing down on them, they can point to this communication as a good faith effort to educate its users on the potential downside of tampering with the product as it was shipped from the factory.

Also too, if anyone hurt using modified equipment having the notion that they had a potential lawsuit, well Stihl can site documents like this one as a long commitment to safety, etc.

By itself, the message proves nothing. But it can be presented within a broader context that you see in a lot of the company's literature. So if EPA comes down on them, they can say, ain't us.

Covering your ass often entails as long a paper trail as possible. This email is further documentation of the company's message that it takes seriously the safety of its users and compliance with applicable emmissions regs.

Covering your ass often entails as long a paper trail as possible. This email is further documentation of the company's message that it takes seriously the safety of its users and compliance with applicable emmissions regs.

Evidently, Stihl takes safety more seriously than a lot of idiot users. :popcorn::)

Latest posts

Back