Dog? Dog?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankconley

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Why are the pointy things called dogs and why do a lot of the pictures show two of them? Why is trying to buy one for my jonsereds 621 like pulling teeth? I can't handle it. Anybody have any words of wisdom?

Thanks. Why do they show 2 in a lot of pictures? Why am I having trouble finding one for my jonsereds 621? They are supposed to be the same on all jonsereds bit I still can't find one.

Lots of saws run one spike on the inside of the bar, some folks prefer one inside and one outside. Unless you're running a long bar in big wood, you'll likely be ok with just one on the inside. I will look around to see if I can find you a part number. I just so happen to work at a Husqvarna dealer. (Husqvarna is the parent company of a bunch of lines now, including Jonsered)

504 55 04 00 Jonsered inner spike
Looks like it fits a number of models. Not sure of availability, have to check your local dealer, or maybe start a thread in the trading post here. Good luck, either way you go!

You can get by with one stock one on the inside, usually, until you need to leverage through a cut at a sharper angel than the inside dog can reach, then you'll wish you had one on the outside - because it still would, and always will. Or do you mean your saw has neither an inside (as shown here) nor an outside?

images j621.jpg

Lots of saws run one spike on the inside of the bar, some folks prefer one inside and one outside. Unless you're running a long bar in big wood, you'll likely be ok with just one on the inside. I will look around to see if I can find you a part number. I just so happen to work at a Husqvarna dealer. (Husqvarna is the parent company of a bunch of lines now, including Jonsered)
Thanks for that. Makes sense.
They will show up on ebay--keep looking---Jonsered 621 is my current top saw that i like and cut with for about the last year or so.Good power and made like a army tank--My aborsite friends got me addicted to them;. I have a few :innocent:
Got it. Just have to keep checking. I like 621s too.
They will show up on ebay--keep looking---Jonsered 621 is my current top saw that i like and cut with for about the last year or so.Good power and made like a army tank--My aborsite friends got me addicted to them;. I have a few :innocent:
Sounds good. I'll just keep checking if I dont find one with the part number. I messed mine up but was able to repair it. See my thread, Jonsered621 suddenly died. Now I'm hooked too. I just bought my second one on eBay for 95 dollars. The seller sold it as not running and for parts but it runs perfectly with new chain and 20 inch bar. That is what the dog is for. Need top cover and switch too. Thanks for writing.20200608_232937.jpg

Thanks for that. Makes sense.
Got it. Just have to keep checking. I like 621s too.
Sounds good. I'll just keep checking if I dont find one with the part number. I messed mine up but was able to repair it. See my thread, Jonsered621 suddenly died. Now I'm hooked too. I just bought my second one on eBay for 95 dollars. The seller sold it as not running and for parts but it runs perfectly with new chain and 20 inch bar. That is what the dog is for. Need top cover and switch too. Thanks for writing.View attachment 834953
I see you have a handy pattern with which any competent fabricator could easily make you a dog for your second saw.

“Junkyard Dawgs” on my 395XP,
Big Teeth, and Bad Attitude

The Conifers we have out here on the West Coast tend to have much thicker Bark, especially Douglas Fir, the thick bark doesn’t give as strong of hold as the solid wood does, so bigger Dawgs give you more bite when you’re dogged in bucking or felling
F5EFCAB2-5DCE-4186-95EF-491F69319C45.jpeg

Doug :cheers:

You can get by with one stock one on the inside, usually, until you need to leverage through a cut at a sharper angel than the inside dog can reach, then you'll wish you had one on the outside - because it still would, and always will. Or do you mean your saw has neither an inside (as shown here) nor an outside?

View attachment 834952
Hi. Thanks for writing. I misread your post when I replied earlier. I don't have one. I do have one on my other saw that I may use as a pattern. I could design a fancy one but I think I will keep it original. Thanks for the pic. Turns me on. Kinda scary.

“Junkyard Dawgs” on my 395XP,
Big Teeth, and Bad Attitude

The Conifers we have out here on the West Coast tend to have much thicker Bark, especially Douglas Fir, the thick bark doesn’t give as strong of hold as the solid wood does, so bigger Dawgs give you more bite when you’re dogged in bucking or felling
View attachment 834960

Doug :cheers:
Sweet. Now I get the picture.

Just make sure someone puts a caliper to the bolt holes so they line up correctly. I've done it with the help from folks on here several times and they have come out great. It's really easy if you have access to a plasma cutter. I have a folder with patterns I have saved somewhere to share with others, just don't have the one you need.

Frank..... PM me you mailing address and I’ll send you a set. I have literally dozens of them. The thing about the originals is the steel they’re made from..... they stay razor sharp and don’t get bent like most homemade ones. It might take me a few days as I am currently offshore but will be back at the shop by the first of the week.

Frank..... PM me you mailing address and I’ll send you a set. I have literally dozens of them. The thing about the originals is the steel they’re made from..... they stay razor sharp and don’t get bent like most homemade ones. It might take me a few days as I am currently offshore but will be back at the shop by the first of the week.
And this is yet another fine example of the awesomeness of this community!:yes:

Back