Dolmar 117 Ignition

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FineFirewood

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking for a little help and advice from the pros.

I have an old Sachs-Dolmar 117 that was my father's. I had many hours working around that saw growing up while collecting firewood for our winter heat in Maine, so I'd like to get it back into working order to give back to him for sentimental reasons. It's been sitting for a number of years with no spark.

I checked the compression and it's right around 145 psi. I have taken the coil out and cleaned it, checked the points over (they look good and are opening/closing correctly), new spark plug, but still no spark. Where do I go next? Replace the coil? Coil and points? Condensor? Other? I have found new coil ($40) and points ($11) at DLA Engine Parts, but I don't want to just throw parts at it. Is there any way to test the various components?

I can also get new rings if the compression should be higher.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Did you actually clean and polish the points contacts, they have to be shiny new metal to conduct electrical charge. If the points are clean and set properly then it is often the condenser not building or holding the hi tension charge.

Back