• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Sell Dolmar 166 with Cannon 5' bar, .404 chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ups is about to strike...better use FedEx in the meantime.
I read up on that. The soonest they can strike is July 31st. A whole lot of stuff to happen to lead up to it though. Interestingly, one of the demands from the union that the company has agreed to meet is to air condition the trucks. They’ll have to shut their doors now.

I read up on that. The soonest they can strike is July 31st. A whole lot of stuff to happen to lead up to it though. Interestingly, one of the demands from the union that the company has agreed to meet is to air condition the trucks. They’ll have to shut their doors now.
Maybe then my boxes will not be covered in lime dust

Saw that. Took a bit for all the correct info to blow out the hype🙄

Their contract running out is what kept me from going over to new warehouse that was just finished not for from me, I have a friend that's worked as a line mechanic for a few years with them. Some of what they are going after is just unrealistic. They already have top rate Healthcare, company paid pension, good vacation and sick leave, and just iver $40.00 top pay rate. My friend went over some of their demands with me... wow is all I could say. Shooting for $47.00 hr top pay, more money to their pension (top rate was $1800.00 ish a month) bunch of other stuff as well, either they arnt going to get half of it, or shipping costs are about to go up 10-20%

Their contract running out is what kept me from going over to new warehouse that was just finished not for from me, I have a friend that's worked as a line mechanic for a few years with them. Some of what they are going after is just unrealistic. They already have top rate Healthcare, company paid pension, good vacation and sick leave, and just iver $40.00 top pay rate. My friend went over some of their demands with me... wow is all I could say. Shooting for $47.00 hr top pay, more money to their pension (top rate was $1800.00 ish a month) bunch of other stuff as well, either they arnt going to get half of it, or shipping costs are about to go up 10-20%
I wish you great success as that will be a big change from the carnival rides. Many members here who work for UPS. Paul is a career mechanic with UPS and can share some light. Chase will be here Thursday so I will get the real scoop from him. His father retired from there at a young age. I might need to stop in his restaurant for lunch Wednesday

I wish you great success as that will be a big change from the carnival rides. Many members here who work for UPS. Paul is a career mechanic with UPS and can share some light. Chase will be here Thursday so I will get the real scoop from him. His father retired from there at a young age. I might need to stop in his restaurant for lunch Wednesday
Carnival rides, lol. Yeah, it would be a lot easier then the systems we deal with at the park. And a set schedule. I already took and passed both the tests and turned the job down. Where I fall in senority currently, I'll have another season of the late shift then I'll be able to get on the morning shift. Pay wise, I'm already more then their starting wage of 33.86hr, and by next year I'll be over $40.00 hr. You can easily look up the job requirements and pay schedule,benifits etc from the ups website. Looks up for Middletown pa, 40hr week union line mechanic. If you're ever in hershy and I can get my manager to agree, I'd happily show you around the carnival.

Carnival rides, lol. Yeah, it would be a lot easier then the systems we deal with at the park. And a set schedule. I already took and passed both the tests and turned the job down. Where I fall in senority currently, I'll have another season of the late shift then I'll be able to get on the morning shift. Pay wise, I'm already more then their starting wage of 33.86hr, and by next year I'll be over $40.00 hr. You can easily look up the job requirements and pay schedule,benifits etc from the ups website. Looks up for Middletown pa, 40hr week union line mechanic. If you're ever in hershy and I can get my manager to agree, I'd happily show you around the carnival.
I do not ever plan on getting near that area of the US. If I ever do go east it will be to Virginia to race vintage saws in May

If the rank and file at UPS get all they are bargaining for and the company caves, I can see their business going down the toilet because their rates will become excessive and outfits like Fed-Ex will gobble up the business. Keep in mind that the bulk of Fed Ex package transit operations are carried out by contract carriers who are not union plus around here Fed Ex delivery runs 7 days a week, UPS is strictly a 5 day delivery carrier. Don't have an issue with climate controlled deliver trucks but I do have an issue with the already high rates and we use Fed Ex almost 100% now.

No doubt I need to but right now I have to figure out how to send a large amount of saws to Europe. I send saws there quite often but generally just as one or two to a box. I have sent a large wood crates of saws but that was years ago when UPS-SCS was easy to deal with. I sent a 4ft x 2ft x 2ft crate for $230. I loved those years
Dang, I guess you did love them. I sent a Homelite 7-29 to Australia, total $474. Power head went USPS. They wouldn't take the 52" bar, so it went UPS.

Ups is about to strike...better use FedEx in the meantime.
A little late to the show, they didn't strike. I haven't been following it, I don't know how long the extension is. After 30 years with UPS, I found, a couple months before the contract is up, FedX starts going to all of our customers saying, if UPS strikes, they won't be able to take up the extra. But, if you sign a contract now, we will guarantee service. Good business move on their part. When we did strike in the 90's, the company wouldn't come to the table, and sent out a package to every employee with their terms. It basically said, "First, Last, and Only Offer". I still have the packet. Needless to say, that negotiating scheme was a disaster. We lost tons of work, every one signed insurance contracts with every delivery company out there. Whether they used them or not. The only people that like the threat of a strike is the media, gives them more "good" news to spread and screw up.

For a few seconds, I wondered how many seconds, that would cost the company per stop, and they do count seconds. It has always been policy to keep the bulk head door closed, many, many drivers jimmied the lock on the door to keep it open. When I retired 7 years ago the new keyless delivery trucks were starting to arrive. The bulkhead door opens and closes automatically with the key fob. I imagine the passenger doors will do that too now. When I first started in 1985, on request, they would install a fan that blows on the driver, and it did help. After a few years they quit doing that. At a company picnic an hourly asked the HR Manager why we couldn't have fans. He hemmed and hawed for a minute, then said, truthfully, there has never been any study that showed you work better when comfortable. In our building we would have guys fall out from heat related exposer. Not often, but at least 3-4 times that I heard of over 30 years. We had over 400 delivery drivers in my building, about 80 in my center. One summer when it set a record of the number of 90*+ days in a row, a driver brought in a cheap garden thermometer and it hit 130 in the back of his truck. Don't know how accurate it was. Didn't matter, it was hot, and being summer/vacation season, we were short handed, so work loads were maxed out.

For a few seconds, I wondered how many seconds, that would cost the company per stop, and they do count seconds. It has always been policy to keep the bulk head door closed, many, many drivers jimmied the lock on the door to keep it open. When I retired 7 years ago the new keyless delivery trucks were starting to arrive. The bulkhead door opens and closes automatically with the key fob. I imagine the passenger doors will do that too now. When I first started in 1985, on request, they would install a fan that blows on the driver, and it did help. After a few years they quit doing that. At a company picnic an hourly asked the HR Manager why we couldn't have fans. He hemmed and hawed for a minute, then said, truthfully, there has never been any study that showed you work better when comfortable. In our building we would have guys fall out from heat related exposer. Not often, but at least 3-4 times that I heard of over 30 years. We had over 400 delivery drivers in my building, about 80 in my center. One summer when it set a record of the number of 90*+ days in a row, a driver brought in a cheap garden thermometer and it hit 130 in the back of his truck. Don't know how accurate it was. Didn't matter, it was hot, and being summer/vacation season, we were short handed, so work loads were maxed out.

Pretty messed up.

I got stuck in the Mojave one afternoon in the middle of summer; an onion truck overturned blocking traffic. My trucks gauge was reading 131*, catching radiant heat off the pavement. Stripped down to underwear and drank a gallon of water over a few hours. Didn't run the a/c not knowing how long we would actually be there, with the nearest gas station being 30-40 miles away or more.

Cant imagine being active in those conditions, moving heavy and awkward items around. Insanity.

The last UPS Strike that I remember, PT employees gain benefits where they had none? and entitlement of being made permanent PT employees? I personally felt it was a losing battle but the union stood strong and prevailed. That was after the 90s and in those years most unions were getting their ass handed to them with health care copayments and CDL requirements

Latest posts

Back