Dolmar 510 vs Echo 500 vs Stihl 290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tubpilot

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm just trying to make up my mind on which saw. It will be used mainly for firewood and property clean up. At the local dealers the Echo and Stihl are $400 and the Dolmar $450. I would like to stay around this price. I like the metal construction of the Dolmar and Echo, but wonder if the bigger motor in the Stihl would be better.
Thanks!

Dolmar is the best saw there by far.

My two cents.

I you mean a cs500p echo, that is a pro built saw, split mag case, clutch driven adjustable oiler etc. and at 400, thats 50 clams below MSRP.

Just make sure the dealer puts a realistic H screw setting on it.

Stihl 290s, zillions out there, clamshell saw, homeowner grade, 150 used, etc.

Makita 510 dont know if that is a good deal or not

Of those three, most likely I would take the echo, . with that said, you could also look for like a decent used husky 346xp for in your price range and lower.

do you have any other saws?

If you look at other help me choose a saw threads, one of the first questions asked is, exactly what size and type and quantity of trees are you cutting? Just saying firewood and cleanup varies too much. I have had to clean up big windstorm and tornado downed trees..see? big ones... firewood can be six inch sapling clearing, saving the butt end logs, which I have done and used, to bucking up 40+ inch yard tree takedowns, which I have done and used.

With that said, I am more a fan of 60 cc class one saw plans if you are getting into larger trees all the time.

Stihl 290s are sluggish pigs as delivered by the dealer. The same may be true of the Dolmar and Echo, but I would say the Dolmar and Echo are better than the mostly plastic Stihl, and the Stihl probably weighs the most.

$450 For the Dolmar is too high, should be around $400 out the door, it's still the best saw out of the three you listed. If you know where to look you can find new Husky 550 for not much more than $450 same with the Dolmar 5105.

The 5105 shouldn't be any more than 440 otd. Anymore is too much. Why not just spring for 261 or 346? At only 50 more than the 5105 it doesn't make sense not to.

dolmar 5105

A Dolmar 5105 with 16" bar for $469 with free shipping. But if you can get a Huskie 550xp for that price. That would be the way to go and I am a Dolmar fan. Steve

I forgot

That price was on E-bay you may get you dealer to mach the price. Good Luck Steve

$450 For the Dolmar is too high, should be around $400 out the door, it's still the best saw out of the three you listed. If you know where to look you can find new Husky 550 for not much more than $450 same with the Dolmar 5105.

The 5105 shouldn't be any more than 440 otd. Anymore is too much. Why not just spring for 261 or 346? At only 50 more than the 5105 it doesn't make sense not to.

A Dolmar 5105 with 16" bar for $469 with free shipping. But if you can get a Huskie 550xp for that price. That would be the way to go and I am a Dolmar fan. Steve

This guy is in canada so pricing is a bit different there.

All you guys with price suggestions are forgetting one thing, the OP is in British Columbia, which makes it Canada. Our prices are a bit different.

For a 346xp, you gotta remember that they list for about $749 plus our taxes. The Stihl and Dolmar prices are closer but not as low as yours.

Shipping from the USA is about $75 for a saw, plus the guy might get lucky and have to pay duties, kind of hit and miss.

FWIW I'd go with the 510 though realistically, it should be priced pretty much the same as the Echo 500p.

All you guys with price suggestions are forgetting one thing, the OP is in British Columbia, which makes it Canada. Our prices are a bit different.

For a 346xp, you gotta remember that they list for about $749 plus our taxes. The Stihl and Dolmar prices are closer but not as low as yours.

Shipping from the USA is about $75 for a saw, plus the guy might get lucky and have to pay duties, kind of hit and miss.

FWIW I'd go with the 510 though realistically, it should be priced pretty much the same as the Echo 500p.

The 346xp is still worth it, and they cost a lot more than that here! :msp_biggrin:

The 346xp is still worth it, and they cost a lot more than that here! :msp_biggrin:

Not a chance.... but hey, to each his own.

Like I've said before, there is nothing a 346xp can do that a 5105 can't, except maybe tip over more.

At the end of the cutting day, you will finish like what, a whole 2 minutes earlier?

The funny thing about these threads is that if the guy asks about a 346, everybody says no, you need a 372. If he asks about a 372 everybody says oh no, you need a 395. Makes me laugh.

The funny thing about these threads is that if the guy asks about a 346, everybody says no, you need a 372. If he asks about a 372 everybody says oh no, you need a 395. Makes me laugh.

Well I was going to mention a bucket truck.
But with your attitude I'm not!

:msp_biggrin:

I'm just trying to make up my mind on which saw. It will be used mainly for firewood and property clean up. At the local dealers the Echo and Stihl are $400 and the Dolmar $450. I would like to stay around this price. I like the metal construction of the Dolmar and Echo, but wonder if the bigger motor in the Stihl would be better.
Thanks!

If it were my money and I had to choose between the three I'd by the Echo, a pro-saw at a great price. I've ran the MS290 and the CS530 (yes I know it isn't the same, but still a great saw once tuned properly) that the CS500p replaced, but have yet to run the Dolmar 510. Full disclosure, I am not brand loyal........there are a lot of great saws out there that many people never give a second look (or worse bash them w/o ever having run one) just because of the brand name.

Latest posts

Back