Dolmar 5100 Cylinder Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a "refurb" Makita 540 (Dolmar PS-540)that was so lean as to almost not want to run. I pulled the limiter tabs, tuned it to where it wants to run, and put the tabs back on. I think it would have scored had it not been retuned. The low speed screw out far enough that the idle screw is in as far as it will go.:dizzy:

I also have a Makita 401 that was too lean with OEM limiter cap positions. I pulled the caps and retuned it as well.

Between the :censored:EPA and this :censored:ethanol fuel, lots of saws are going to die a quick death!

I just got off the phone with a forestry company I sold a PS-3400TH to last year.

No problems at all with it... He said they've changed the air filter and plug once. I explicitly asked him about the limiter caps not allowing him to correctly tune, and he said it was good.

He said his guys still thought the 200T has a little better balance in the hand... But he also said the 200T was double the cost.

He's still happy with the cost to performance ratio.

Hopefully, this is a 5100 issue only, and will be addressed soon.

So why aren't we hearing about this from all distributors? Seems that if every 5100S sold was seizing, they'd either be recalled or pulled from the market. Something doesn't jive here.

I have had 6 or 8 PMs from used-to-be Dolly dealers on AS from my posts on these issues. They do not post openly becasue of their known association with being a Dolmar dealer or working for one. There has been some fallout from dealers that post openly about issue here (from other dealers, or distributors, I do not know). It seems to be that getting saws, parts and service OKs seem to be a huge problem. Two of the local ex-Dolmar dealers here in the PNW (not on AS) talked to me about why they were no longer dealers, and the issues were lack of parts availability, back-ordered saws, and the distributor insisting that they work on saws, but not backing up the warantees. Two others flat refused to discuss Dolmar at all, and they were obviously still fuming.

This area is covered by Magneto Power in Portland. Magneto has the entire north west US strip from the PNW out to Wisconsin. I talked to them a year or two ago about becoming a Dolmar dealer myself. Not the friendliest of people to do business with. They wanted a lot, and offered me very little. They were adamat about having a prime location, and having a shop to work on saws.

Last edited:
Booker Stop on over at My dealer ..There are two NE 346s dead on the shelf .. But that never happens to Huskys ...:cheers::cheers:

Out of the 11 that they sold 2 dead already ....Now Im really scared about the 2153 I own.......Hope my Jred is better than the Husky ..

They sell like hot-cakes at my dealer, he hasn't even been able to keep one for himself - and no failiures so far....

...none are e-tech though, I talked him out of taking those in....:)

"Everyone" use Aspen fuel here, so no fuel related problems. :clap::clap:

Last edited:
Yah, all sold out here too! except the clear display model

I may have to actually drag my butt up to Madsens :monkey:.

I presume that they will not charge me sales tax with an OR driver's license there?

Last edited:
The ONLY person that can squash this thread is Roger B. Doesn't he have a crazy 5100 piped that has run freaking strong for 3 or more years...

I'm not worried...

Can't find a 346xp on the shelf at either of my local dealers. Even the in-house salesmen and mechanics all own these lil' rippers!:cheers:

I snatched the first one the dealer got in - sept 2007 - believe I was the first AS member to get one.

I have had almost every dolmar I sold (about 50 saws) come back with a scored piston and cylinder--- even the one I own that ran of 100ll av gas--pieces of crap in my opinion and dolmar would not even honer the warrantys!!!!

Wow, almost every Dolmar you sold scored the cylinder? after "you" reset the limiters and adjusted the carbs? hmm,

A local Dolmar rep told me the 5100's are dropping like flies, but 50 saws?? I'm not buying it. The 7900's are very durable saws, and I've never heard of any top end problems with the 7900. Hell the Home Depot rents them out for years at a time without any issues. Sorry but it sound like you just don't know how to tune the carbs correctly.:confused:

In my opinion the compensating carb on the 5100 is the main cause of all these saws burning up. The carb simply doesn't feed the saw enough fuel during hard use, and when the filter gets dirty.

You mean he just keep going after the first one then to the second then the 3rd.

Story my dealer told me is they fried 3 saws the same day ....2 Husky 346NE and 1 MS 460 Stihl .....:cry::cry:

My Stihl dealer said they dropped of a burn up saw in the morning and later that day he got a call from my Husky dealer asking about what he knew ...Looks like the guys running the saws shouldnt run them ......Operator stupidity

3 F'n saws is two too many .........:dizzy::dizzy:

Last edited:
Back