Dolmar 7900 chain tensioner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B_Turner said:
* I run REALLY sharp chains, so I don't sharpen on the saw (I bring a bag of chains to the site). So I swap chains pretty often and I find the 7900 tensioner design very akward with the tensioner's bar locating pin on the cover instead of the saw body. Nothing to hold the bar and chain in place once the cover is off and more difficult to see where to adjust the tensioner when putting on a chain of a different length. Most folks sharpen on the saw, so that is not a problem for them.

I've got a brand new 7900 that I took apart to see how difficult chain swap outs are. I also thought the tensioner was awkward at first, but not having the tensioner on the body allows you to slide the back of the bar against the sprocket which holds the bar in place very nicely AND it lines up the sprocket/chain perfectly. I think it might be easier than the Stihl. Of course, that was using a 20" bar and longer bars might be a different story.

Back