Dolmar 7900 complaints.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are you saying, don't bend over when you're using a Dolmar? :laugh:

Don't drop your Dolmar in the woods boys! :laugh: :laugh:

:ices_rofl: :ices_rofl: Sorry, no more rep in my pistol. :cry:

but wait... you got it, but too quickly.... I thought those boys were on the other side of the cascades? hmmmm:monkey: Hey, maybe Chow is really SAPPY????? (inside joke Chow)...

:ices_rofl: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

You guys are killing me....

Tensioner weak. Fuel cap sticks. Sometimes weeps. So does oil cap, and muffler is so close I burnt my finger once. Switch is confusing compared to my other saws. Switch broke today. Thirsty. Oiler less adjustable than my other saws. Puddles oil a bit. Some other stuff.

You sure that isn't a Wildthingy you're talkin' 'bout???:biggrinbounce2:

Gary

I don't own a 7900 so I can't comment on the saw specifically.

1. Dealer support and dealer knowledge.
2. Dolmar's commitment to the chainsaw market.

If I were a betting man and you asked me which saw manufacturer would be around in 10 years, I would put all my money on Stihl. Saws, trimmers and blowers is all they make.

I don't know if Dolmar will be around in 10 years. As I understand, Dolmar is owned by Makita. I would imagine that Dolmar's sales are a drop in the bucket for Makita's bottom line. Since Makita is not really into OPE, I don't see how Dolmar fits in unless there will be a Dolmar line of OPE in the future. The future of Dolmar is all going to depend on the quality of dealers Dolmar selects, whether Dolmar is losing money and how patient Makita will be if Dolmar is losing money. If Dolmar is making money, they have bought time while they sort out their dealer network. This is a lesson in "time will tell". Let's hope for the best because competition breeds innovation and performance which is what most of us are looking for.

Dolmar has been around for 80 Years 1927-2007. They have the technology to easily pass the new EPA standards and without adding much weight unlike the 575 & 441. I would say Dolmar GMBH is in better shape than they have been in a long time.

Steve

Looks grew on me.

Tensioner weak. Fuel cap sticks. Sometimes weeps. So does oil cap, and muffler is so close I burnt my finger once. Switch is confusing compared to my other saws. Switch broke today. Thirsty. Oiler less adjustable than my other saws. Puddles oil a bit. Some other stuff.

But I love running it. Funnest saw I've ever run. Own two and may need a third just for parts.:)

On a serious note, I have found that the caps are similar to the Huskys, which is to say they can be a little goofy. But the Stihl caps are just goofy in a different way.
I hadn't thought about the switch, but I agree with the confusing part.
I have not had any oiler trouble, but man is it a nice torqy saw.
I had a stump sit back on mine a little recently, and it would've stopped a lot of saws, and the 7900 just kept grinding all the way through till it fell.
I can't explain it, its one of those intangibles, but it is a FUN saw to run.

As far as the dealer support, I totally agree. My biggest complaint about the brand. I figure there will be parts available somewhere online, and I'll fix my own if need be. Regardless, I will have enjoyed it while it lasted. :D

You sure that isn't a Wildthingy you're talkin' 'bout???:biggrinbounce2:

Gary

Well, I might be more picky about my saws than some, so take that for what it's worth. But as far as getting as much wood cut in a day, this saw kicks some serious azz. Pretty much the only folks that don't like it either haven't run it, are Stihl dealers, or would be embarassed to really admit how good it cuts as compared to the saws they have been bragging about for years. Spanks a stock 460 pretty bad, being much smoother the whole time. I personally have yet to see anything anywhere near the weight keep up to mine in medium wood (say 26 inches).

Dealer support is nearly non existant in my kneck of the woods, parts often back ordered for long periods, POS oiler design, filter too small, chain adjuster sucks, and the dogs not only look gay, but are not functional.

Looks grew on me.

But I love running it. Funnest saw I've ever run. Own two and may need a third just for parts.:)

Jeepers, That makes me want to just rush right out and go get one....:buttkick:

The big dogs do look gay as bwalker pointed out. I would opt for the european issue double dogs. Also, no full wrap handle available to my knowledge.

B_Turner, if yours is has a puddle of oil underneath it pull the clutch and inspect the pump. I would bet its leaking in the area where the hose meets the pumps outlet........

Dolmar has been around for 80 Years 1927-2007. They have the technology to easily pass the new EPA standards and without adding much weight unlike the 575 & 441. I would say Dolmar GMBH is in better shape than they have been in a long time.

Steve

Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about then. This is what I thought.

I thought Dolmar was owned by Makita. If that is the case, Makita controls Dolmar's money and Makita expects a profit from Dolmar's operations. If Makita decides the chainsaw business is not in their "core business model" or if Dolmar is not profitable for Makita, then Dolmar hits the road.

Also, if Makita does own Dolmar, then Dolmar is not in business. Makita is using Dolmar's name. All of Dolmar's higher management decisions are most probably under review by Makita.

International once made a great pickup.
Hudson made a fast car.
Betamax was superior to VHS.

It isn't always about what is the best, who has the most technology or how long a name has been around. It's about how much support management is willing to provide and what management's plan is. So far from my observations I can't determine what Dolmar's plan is. I have not seen a single Dolmar advertisement. I am not the only one that feels this way.

I understand that you have a vested interest in Dolmar and I also understand you may be defensive if anyone questions the future of Dolmar. As a consumer, I have to buy the product that I'm comfortable with. Not just ergonomic comfort, but my perception of the longevity of the companies product that I am buying and my perception of the support they can provide in the future. At this point, I can walk into my local Stihl dealer and buy off the shelf parts for a 20 year old 056 & 011 and a 12 year old 034. I am reasonably certain I will be able to do that in 20 years with my 441 also. I don't have that same feeling with Dolmar, and I doubt I can walk into my local Dolmar dealer, (I don't even know if there is one. I looked it up on the locater and I know where it is, just don't recall there being a saw dealer there. It looks to be a hole in the wall/garage operation.) and buy off the shelf parts for a 20 year old Dolmar.

Tell me I'm wrong. That's ok ;) but my perception of Dolmar has a direct relation to what I have been exposed to in relation to the Dolmar product line. Nothing.

Dealer network suxs

I wouldn't be adverse to trying a Dolmar. We had a Sachs-Dolmar many years ago, and it was a decent saw.............till the local dealer closed shop. But I'm not really interested in driving an hour one-way to get to a dealer now. Especially not when I've got a good Stihl dealer less that 10 minutes up the road, which is why the next saw I buy will be an MS361! :rock: :rock:

Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about then. This is what I thought.

I thought Dolmar was owned by Makita. If that is the case, Makita controls Dolmar's money and Makita expects a profit from Dolmar's operations. If Makita decides the chainsaw business is not in their "core business model" or if Dolmar is not profitable for Makita, then Dolmar hits the road.

Also, if Makita does own Dolmar, then Dolmar is not in business. Makita is using Dolmar's name. All of Dolmar's higher management decisions are most probably under review by Makita.

International once made a great pickup.
Hudson made a fast car.
Betamax was superior to VHS.

It isn't always about what is the best, who has the most technology or how long a name has been around. It's about how much support management is willing to provide and what management's plan is. So far from my observations I can't determine what Dolmar's plan is. I have not seen a single Dolmar advertisement. I am not the only one that feels this way.

I understand that you have a vested interest in Dolmar and I also understand you may be defensive if anyone questions the future of Dolmar. As a consumer, I have to buy the product that I'm comfortable with. Not just ergonomic comfort, but my perception of the longevity of the companies product that I am buying and my perception of the support they can provide in the future. At this point, I can walk into my local Stihl dealer and buy off the shelf parts for a 20 year old 056 & 011 and a 12 year old 034. I am reasonably certain I will be able to do that in 20 years with my 441 also. I don't have that same feeling with Dolmar, and I doubt I can walk into my local Dolmar dealer, (I don't even know if there is one. I looked it up on the locater and I know where it is, just don't recall there being a saw dealer there. It looks to be a hole in the wall/garage operation.) and buy off the shelf parts for a 20 year old Dolmar.

Tell me I'm wrong. That's ok ;) but my perception of Dolmar has a direct relation to what I have been exposed to in relation to the Dolmar product line. Nothing.

Do you put this much thought into the longevity of the cars you buy?
Cause a LOT of auto manufacturers are on pretty thin ice.

Seriously, if you spend 5 or 600 dollars on a saw, and you run it for five or six or even ten years, who cares if its obsolete?

And another thing. What the heck is a gay dog?

Do you put this much thought into the longevity of the cars you buy?
Cause a LOT of auto manufacturers are on pretty thin ice.

Yes, I do. I bought a Toyota this time around. All of the parts I'll ever need for my 1978 pickup are available from LMC Truck too.

Seriously, if you spend 5 or 600 dollars on a saw, and you run it for five or six or even ten years, who cares if its obsolete?

If I like something, I tend to keep it. I want quality and parts availability down the road and I'm happy to pay for it. I'm not from the throwaway generation. If I were, I'd be buying Wildthings, Homelite string trimmers and shopping for hand and power tools at Harbor Freight.

And another thing. What the heck is a gay dog?
I don't believe I've ever seen a gay dog.

Hey, maybe Chow is really SAPPY????? (inside joke Chow)...

Hey, I resemble that... or, um, give me another beer. :clap:
Reminds me I better go get the moonshine outta the car tonight. :clap:
I've been driving around with it on the back seat for a month. :jawdrop:

NO, you don't want to resemble that... "Sappy" is "coveredinsap" - banned, but his posts are stihl there... If you have a spare year, read them all..:hmm3grin2orange:

Back