Dolmar 7900 complaints.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He's moved on, we've moved on, and all is better for it.

OK, Andy, I've been puzzling over your signature for awhile now. Am I getting it right? Your communist friend invites you to his RV, then CHARGES you to be gassed (beans???). I don't blame you, I couldn't afford it either, no matter how dang much it is:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :

Not a Sheryl Crowe fan I take it?

Nah, I like her fine, "All I wanna do is have a little fun before I die" was a GREAT song. I don't know most of her work though. Lately I've only seen her as Armstrong's girlfriend (before they broke up). I'm an ex-bicycle racer and still follow the sport, especially the Tour.

Nah, I like her fine, "All I wanna do is have a little fun before I die" was a GREAT song. I don't know most of her work though. Lately I've only seen her as Armstrong's girlfriend (before they broke up). I'm an ex-bicycle racer and still follow the sport, especially the Tour.

Cool zemmo...former USCF Cat II racer here

Cool zemmo...former USCF Cat II racer here

I was merely a lowly cat III, and I only really rode mountain races and timetrials. I used to really like a good, flat, 25 mi. timetrial. I was only about half serious about racing itself, but nearly always rode with racers, and did a lot of miles, and just loved riding. Still do, but it's pretty casual compared to the old days. Lived in Boulder, CO at the time, a cycling mecca in those days (70's).

No factory case for the 7900 and it's odd shape won't let you use other mfctr's fitted cases. Few dealerships around, but Ferrari dealers are scarce too. I'll take the performance and live with the dealer issue.

Dolmar

I have the 5100, and really like it. I have bigger Stihls, so I don't know if I'd ever buy a 7900.
The switch on the Dolmar is a little funny, just different from the Stihl switch...minor point.
The main selling point for getting the Dolmar, was the price ($389), along with it's great reputation here. I was looking at a Stihl MS361 at the time ( a bigger saw, I know).
I think the Dolmar,(5100 anyway) is underpriced, compared to other comparable saw out there. And is a great value. I'm not sure about the 6400 or 7900, as I haven't compared them to other saws.
If Dolmar started to raise their prices, and the 5100 were more expensive. I don't know if I'd buy one.
Dolmar may eventually start raising prices. Who knows?
As mentioned here already, they don't seem to advertise at all. I had to do alot of looking around to find my 5100, I had my mind made up to get a 5100, because of this site. So I sought one out. If not for here, I would've never even heard of Dolmar or the 5100. I'm guessing that many have never heard of Dolmar either. The dealer that I bought if from didn't seem to support the Dolmars much either, I got a suprised look when I walked in and asked for a 5100.
I don't know if I'd spend more for the bigger Dolmars. I'm biased here, as I already have Stihls'.
I do like my $389 5100S though. Better than the other sub $400 saws from Stihl or Husky, I think.
Later,
Mitch

No wraps.

Someone mentioned that the Dolmars don't come with full wrap bars.:jawdrop:
"Too true, Bill. Too true."
Gotta have full wrap.

Later,
Mitch

No factory case for the 7900 and it's odd shape won't let you use other mfctr's fitted cases. Few dealerships around, but Ferrari dealers are scarce too. I'll take the performance and live with the dealer issue.

I have a Dolmar case for my 7900, got it from Amicks.

So basically, after 6+ pages of posts, y'all are saying that besides a little oil puddling, there is absolutely nothing objectively wrong with DOLMARS.....
They are not breakage-prone, they have one of the best power-to-weight ratios in the business, awesome torque & horse-power, a long history of durability and reliability, the company's been around literally since DAY-1, (They ARE "DAY-1"!) Parent, Makita is a solid international Japanese company, with a serious reputation for making some of the best power tools on the market. I doubt that Makita has entered onto the OPE scene willy-nilly, as they know that Dolmar has an excellent reputation around the world, and has a very high quality product, easily equal to the leaders in most OPE categories. Check out www.dolmar.com (international website) to see their extensive line. I believe that we don't see much of their product in North America, because every manufacturer is swimming like Hades against the tide of disposability just trying not to succomb to "MTD-itis". They do need to work on their Dealer network, but it takes time...

I, for one, love my "Flying Tomatoes" and they'll have a home w/ me 4ever! ....IMHO...

So basically, after 6+ pages of posts, y'all are saying that besides a little oil puddling, there is absolutely nothing objectively wrong with DOLMARS.....
They are not breakage-prone, they have one of the best power-to-weight ratios in the business, awesome torque & horse-power, a long history of durability and reliability, the company's been around literally since DAY-1, (They ARE "DAY-1"!) Parent, Makita is a solid international Japanese company, with a serious reputation for making some of the best power tools on the market. I doubt that Makita has entered onto the OPE scene willy-nilly, as they know that Dolmar has an excellent reputation around the world, and has a very high quality product, easily equal to the leaders in most OPE categories. Check out www.dolmar.com (international website) to see their extensive line. I believe that we don't see much of their product in North America, because every manufacturer is swimming like Hades against the tide of disposability just trying not to succomb to "MTD-itis". They do need to work on their Dealer network, but it takes time...

I, for one, love my "Flying Tomatoes" and they'll have a home w/ me 4ever! ....IMHO...

Mine dulls the chain, and then I have to sharpen it!:crazy1:

Latest posts

Back