Dolmar 7900 "dirty engine"???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I go with the Makita kit from baileys, does anyone know if the replacement muffler for a 6401 will bolt on the 6421?

I don't like cat mufflers.

DON'T hold your breath! I remember how long it took for the PS420 and the PS5105 to arrive after word got out about them! From what I hear is the next new DOLMAR will be in the 55-57cc range. Not sure if it will be a new big block design or....................

Aww, they have a lot of holes in the lineup.

I hope what I heard is going to come true. The 7900 could be a real cornerstone for the future.

Go to edgeandengine.com and search for part #038174200. It is $63.78 plus shipping. The same part from Bailey's is $89.99. I think you would be better off finding a refurbished or a used 6401 like this:

Makita Dolmar 64 CC Chainsaw DCS6401 with 20" Bar | eBay

Makita DCS640120 R Chain Saw 64 cc. w/ 20" Bar WRNTY!! | eBay

Although I hear the refurb's are great, a brand new 6421 goes for less ($472 @ home depot). And scoring a used 6401/dolmar muffler or doing cat-delete surgery on the 6421 muffler is apparently pretty easy. I also think Baileys is in the process of sourcing an aftermarket non-cat muffler for the saw.

I plan to go catless w/ mine when I go w/ the 7900 P&C (once the warranty has expired).

Although I hear the refurb's are great, a brand new 6421 goes for less ($472 @ home depot). And scoring a used 6401/dolmar muffler or doing cat-delete surgery on the 6421 muffler is apparently pretty easy. I also think Baileys is in the process of sourcing an aftermarket non-cat muffler for the saw.

I plan to go catless w/ mine when I go w/ the 7900 P&C (once the warranty has expired).

Does anyone have instructions up on how to cat delete the muffler?

Does anyone have instructions up on how to cat delete the muffler?

Nothing too vivid and no pics, just a description of what was done:

1. cut open the muf at the seam.
2. grind/cut away some tabs that hold the cat in place & discard cat.
3. weld muffler back together.
4. shoot it w/ some black muffler paint to make it purty.

Here's the quote:

i just modded my 6421, grind the seam, it is impossible to bend back the flap, the cat is a easily removed plate, no grinding, then grind out the baffle and open up the exit hole to 80%, tig the two back together (no filler material needed). easy mod.

I went with a 6421 and iam going to put a bb kit in it. I guess i wanted a project and wanted to try something different than a Stihl. Had the 460 in my had and almost went with it. So i hope I really like the makita.

Just had a question for those on here that are smarter then me. When I install the BB kit on the Makita do I have to take out the limiter caps for the carb settings. Or will I be able to rich it up enough for break in with out doing that.
Oh and any other recommendations or comments on parts I need would be much appreciated.

Well Iam happy to say that someone actually did there job and tracked down a 7900 for me. CHULUOTA SAW & MOWER realized that I wanted a 7900. They called and had it moved from another dealer in norther FL down to me.

Picked the saw up today. Only dropped it in one log but I impressed. Its oiler spits out soooo much more oil than any of my newer stihls seem to think about. Also was surprised how the engine kinda seems to float in between the handles. The anti vibe seem much better than the 441. Ohh it also sound alot throatier than any of my stihl. Just hope she holds up. Can't wait to run my dirty engine tommorow.

As reported a few weeks ago, Dolmar was able to release a batch of 7900's.

I ran into the sales rep yesterday. As far as he knows, 7900 will not have a cat muffler. Supposedly it was still too "dirty" when tested with one. So they are back at the drawing board trying to figure something out. At the same time, they will also fix other common problems with the saw.

BTW, the top handle saw has been discontinued and there is no word yet on a replacement.

Back