Dolmar 7900 vs 562xp huge difference?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bearcat22lr

just some guy that burns wood
Reaction score
60cc vs 79cc basically right? Huge difference? or for more power than the 562 should I look at bigger saws? 90cc class?
Usage would be, milling, bucking and lil firewood action.

Attachments

• DOLMAR.jpeg
    DOLMAR.jpeg
    41.7 KB · Views: 0
60cc vs 79cc basically right? Huge difference? or for more power than the 562 should I look at bigger saws? 90cc class?
Usage would be, milling, bucking and lil firewood action.
How big of a mill? I have a mill that runs a 36" bar (roughly 28" of cutting capacity, though) and I wouldn't run anything less than a 395 or maybe a 390 on it. Lots of people swear by 7900's, I've never run one but I can say I prefer being able to order parts from a dealership in town instead of having to find parts online. I'm also not a huge fan of buying daily/user saws from a company that is discontinuing their gas-powered ope products.

How big of a mill? I have a mill that runs a 36" bar (roughly 28" of cutting capacity, though) and I wouldn't run anything less than a 395 or maybe a 390 on it. Lots of people swear by 7900's, I've never run one but I can say I prefer being able to order parts from a dealership in town instead of having to find parts online. I'm also not a huge fan of buying daily/user saws from a company that is discontinuing their gas-powered *** products.
it will run a 30inch bar. I am going to try my Jonsered 2260 with a 20 inch bar to start. im milling for fun, not starting a business. Ive cut logs length wise, with both my 2260 and 2255, for benches around the campfire and both did fine. so I can imagine a more powerful saw would be the bees knees though

You're going to have a miserable time, all around, milling that large of a bar and that small of a cc. Unless you do like BobL and have many teeth removed. Good chance of harming the saw, too.

I run a 24" full comp on the 372 when milling. I wouldn't dream.of going bigger without reducing teeth or putting the 390 on the mill. And that is in Doug fir.

By the end of the summer I'm hoping to have a 266 setup on the mill with either a 16 or 18" bar for small logs.

6421 is 64cc, 7900 is 79cc, you can fit a 7900 top end on a 6421 as basically bottom end the same
That's what I thought. This milling that I showed in post #13 is being done by a stock 6421 and it handles it nicely. I upgraded my 6401 to 79cc with a big bore top end. I never knew how well that saw performed when in stock condition because it was straight gassed before I obtained it.

Ive got a 7900 and its probably my favorite saw. Its ported with an 046 piston, and its a monster. It will definitely kick the **** out of a 562. Make sure to keep the oiler fresh since its a nylon bolt and itll do well for falling and bucking. It will do for a mill, but a 395 would be a better choice on a mill.

A 7900 might struggle oiling that large of a bar while milling. I love that saw to pieces, but if I milled with it I’d stay under 30”, and skip chain to boot.

For not much more a 395 or 660/066 will handle a larger bar a bit better. Just a different class of saw there.

We have no trouble at all milling with a Makita 6421, a 32" bar, and an Alaskan Saw Mill:
View attachment 983871
That's an ash log. The Dolmar 7900 is about the same saw, right?

To be fair, that log is small compared to the bar. You have well over a foot or more of bar sticking out.

Max that thing out and see how poorly it will mill. You might be surprised.

My curious side also wonders why you are even using a 32" bar for such a small log....? That is a lot of extra drag for no gain.

Back