Dolmar gone and Makita stopping saw production?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if the cheap Chinese saws that are flooding the market are killing the sales of the better quality saws. Homeowners I can understand but your common pro cutter might not.
Being a homeowner at first I dropped $1,200 on two huskys.

Anybody want me to get into solar for a cabin or a house should send me a private message I don’t sell or install but I have built and installed my own 30 kW battery bank + solar panel system at my cabin I also installed a 30 kW system at my sticks and bricks. I have been researching this for many years and have a pretty good handle on what works and doesn’t work FYI I run AC at both locations strictly off of solar.

I have been on solar power for my lake residence since 1985 I also designed and taught 3 day solar courses for many years.Solar is way better than a candle or coleman lantern but it is not all its cracked up to be.If you have lots of sunny days it is favorable but in my location I produce more power in 3 days in July than the whole month of December.Your total life style has to change because you have to work when the solar is at peak or run the generator replacing batteries every 10 years is cost prohibitive.I love my solar power but it is not for families.
If you can get hydro do it it is the best bang for the buck in the civilized world.
Kash
I'm in Florida.

And I think Makita is wrapping up their gas line up also now.

Sad day indeed, for anyone that liked the Dolmar gas line of products.

Husky and Stihl the next inline of the environmentalists that don't like this equipment, but are willing to have electrical plants spewing just as much or more pollutants into the atmosphere to power their battery operated equipment and cars.

I wouldn't count on all parts being easy to find and buy reasonable.
I'am fine , have already a stock pile of perishable components . Here up North Mikita also will have product supplies for at least a 10 yr window . Past my saw usage window most likely , if not I'll break out my vintage Pioneer's lol.

Let's try that theory: So, what saws fills "your" stable?
I have over 75 Husqvarna saws in my stable maybe closer to 100.
A few poolans
A few partners
A few McCullough
One Bender castor Italian. Sounds like a Lamborghini.
One Chinese senix. Novility

The lose of Dolmar isn't a big deal. They were a bit player anyways and have never been well supported in the US. Doesn't bother me a bit.
If you want a oddball saw buy a Echo or Shindaiwa. Better quality and better parts availability.

Battery powered saws is the future? A 42” bar battery powered or plugged into the truck. I’m glad I’m winding down from cutting.
Engine saw.jpg

Check this bad-boy out. It came, stock, with a wildland fire engine. The fire engine, one way or another, provided 110vac. I, unfortunately, don't have the date of build for the fire engine.

The lose of Dolmar isn't a big deal. They were a bit player anyways and have never been well supported in the US. Doesn't bother me a bit.
If you want a oddball saw buy a Echo or Shindaiwa. Better quality and better parts availability.
Not sure about better quality. More parts for sure.

Great saws, but longevity maybe the problem for the manufacturer. Just saying 😁
I have a Pioneer 11:60 (60 cc) & P-20 (50 cc) 55 yrs old . Both still run fine . The Dolmars are as well if not better overall build quality . But as contingency have back ups (Husky 357 xp & 346 xp) . They also as discontinued models have a spare parts bin in my garage . Never been a Dealer fan , the web has an abundance of parts . Yeah , unfortunate that Mikita has decided to stop production of the gas line up . All good things must come to an end . How's the snowfall in the South East. ?

Dolmar makes some of the best saws in the industry . Have since 1927. It is a great loss.
You should spend some time with a few to gain an appreciation for the brand. I’m telling you, they made/make some good stuffs!

Dolmar makes some of the best saws in the industry . Have since 1927. It is a great loss.
You should spend some time with a few to gain an appreciation for the brand. I’m telling you, they made/make some good stuffs!
I had a 7900 when the first came out. Pretty underwhelming expierance. Wouldn't own another.
And they maight have been around since 1927, but they have never been more than a small time outfit. Most loggers don't even know they exist.
Regardless, they are done sonits a moot point.

I was pretty happy with with my 7910, I sold it because I dont need it. Thats some torq response at the trottle while buried in wood.
My 5105 with the ol version starter cover is - slim. And I love it in all aspects, throttle response, power, torq, and it looks like a real chainsaw.
Some compression to turn around without the "easy start" though. No comp valve on that one, a firm grip on things does it.
RIMG0012.JPG

Dolmar is definitely a high quality/reliable product. Their models across the board have been good ones. I have a heated handle 5105 that has been wonderful.
e4d28186bd4e68449547df17ffcf816b.jpg
ca07c42edac8ee79319fec088c764443.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

I had a 7900 when the first came out. Pretty underwhelming expierance. Wouldn't own another.
And they maight have been around since 1927, but they have never been more than a small time outfit. Most loggers don't even know they exist.
Regardless, they are done sonits a moot point.
Dolmar has been a world class saw manufacturer for yrs , used by experienced residential arborists & commercial fallers throughout North America , with less than proper distribution networks . Unfortunately less than stellar dealer representation very similiar to the Solo line up resulted in little recognition within the homeowner niche . I have owned previously a 7900 that ran heads up with my 372 xp all day long & gave my buddies 390 xp a good workout to keep up . I sold it when I purchased my 576 xp , kicked my ass afterwards . I then purchased a newer 7910 XD , unfortunately it was down on peak horsepower & up on weight , however I ported it with a friend . Its is now a decent felling & bucking hardwood saw . Even in stock form it had class leading torgue , due to its optimal port timing & transfer port duration ratios. I also have a 5105H that runs with my 346 xp head to head . In larger hardwood the 5105 gets the nod , if extensive limbing I grab the 346 xp . Sad to see the demise of the Dolmar line , but I have enough components to rebuild my units when required in my lifetime. If not I have a 357 xp & (2) 55 yr old Pioneers for back up lol. ;)

Latest posts

Back