Dolmar gone and Makita stopping saw production?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Three years later, in 1929, Stihl developed a gas-powered chainsaw version; however, Emil Lerp, founder of Dolmar chainsaw company, had already begun manufacturing gas-powered chainsaws in 1927."

I'd say Dolmar has earned a respectable place in chainsaw history.

Dolmar has been a world class saw manufacturer for yrs , used by experienced residential arborists & commercial fallers throughout North America , with less than proper distribution networks . Unfortunately less than stellar dealer representation very similiar to the Solo line up resulted in little recognition within the homeowner niche . I have owned previously a 7900 that ran heads up with my 372 xp all day long & gave my buddies 390 xp a good workout to keep up . I sold it when I purchased my 576 xp , kicked my ass afterwards . I then purchased a newer 7910 XD , unfortunately it was down on peak horsepower & up on weight , however I ported it with a friend . Its is now a decent felling & bucking hardwood saw . Even in stock form it had class leading torgue , due to its optimal port timing & transfer port duration ratios. I also have a 5105H that runs with my 346 xp head to head . In larger hardwood the 5105 gets the nod , if extensive limbing I grab the 346 xp . Sad to see the demise of the Dolmar line , but I have enough components to rebuild my units when required in my lifetime. If not I have a 357 xp & (2) 55 yr old Pioneers for back up lol. ;)
Dolmar has never been widely used by professionals because there have never been that many out there. I bought my 7900 when I was logging. I grew frustrated because I could never get parts in a timely manner. Then I ended up crunching it with a skidder(it happens) and waited months tonget the parts to repair. That was the final straw. Went with Husky 372's and never looked back.
As for the 7900. It was a good saw, good antivibe and power, although not overwhelming faster than a 372. It had a Rev limited coil, which I didnt care for and the filter on my early model was on the small side. That and the oil pump leaked on the discharge side like crazy.

No your correct Ben , not a universally used saw worldwide outside the UK , however up north here in the hardwood industry , they were utilized extensively by numerous outfitters locally . The local Co-op was a provincial dealership in the early 90's . The 7910 when ported & upgraded with a unlimited 272 xp coil was a very capable big timber unit . Stock it was a dog , with 700 rpm lower peak horsepower than the 7900 's 9,600 . A quick port & polish , with marginal transfer margins & chamfer rework , they really woke up . Actually either saw stock , with 28 to 32 b&c with semi skip were capable , only when running 36 " & full house they lost their rpm niche , that their inherent torque window attributes could not overcome . My current ms 660 90+ c.c. class milling saw pales in comparison in any wood !

Did anyone ever come up with an unlimited ignition module for the 7900/7910?
There were limited production saws 7900-rs that were available within the UK with a unlimited coil . I do not believe they were ever offered within North America . The former 272 xp Huquarna unlimited coil has been utilized successfully on many ported 7900 projects , never seen one used on a stock unit , since they pulled well up to 9600 rpm in any hardwood when tuned properly .

Dolmar will stop producing gasoline saws I think it's by the end of 2022 and stock up. So they can sell untill 2025. By that time Makita will surprise us all with battery powered saws that are in the same power range as the 6100 and 7900.
This is what a sales person of Makita/Dolmar told me last month.
I think that Makita is setting their bar very high when I think about the power of my 6100 and 7900.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn CLT-L09 met Tapatalk
"Surprise us" with what? Can a chainsaw battery be recharged as fast as filling up the gas tank in a EA6100P? In the middle of woods? 20kms away from any "civilization"?! Guess not... So if staying in the woods for about a week ,how do you use your chainsaw,how do you recharge it,how do you cut trees?
Electric cars might be good(still not convinced on that one either) but as a BIG company who bought another reputable GAS chainsaw company DOLMAR,not giving the professional customer this option of GAS 2 stroke chainsaw,it's like shooting yourself in the foot! Really dumb , bad strategy "ideea"! It will show up in their "sales numbers"! Many need portability and dependable reliable gas tools,not some vacuum cleaner with a chainbar!
Makita should have left DOLMAR build its own GAS chainsaws again not deleting their old reputable name out of history ,just because they feel like doing so!

and using 5kwh of coal to refine 1 gall of gas is not great either
Remember this: while alive living on this world you will always need some form of hydrocarbons to maintain your comfortable way of life! At most you might get away with burning some wood for heat. But how you get,cut and split that wood is your "guess"! Hope you're fit and like manual labour 😂🙄😎fig1-9.jpg

I wonder if the cheap Chinese saws that are flooding the market are killing the sales of the better quality saws. Homeowners I can understand but your common pro cutter might not.
Being a homeowner at first I dropped $1,200 on two huskys.
I "tried" to use one of those chinese "things"! I would personally melt them down to a blob of metal just to be sure nobody else goes to the misery of using one. Or trying to use one...

Latest posts

Back