Dolmar PS-510 vs. Husky 353 - opinions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdaley

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, First post. I'm looking for a 50 cc saw to limb and do smaller felling with, to replace my very tired 029. I have an 046 for bigger stuff, and am looking at the above two saws. The Dolmar is $70 cheaper, although I have no issue spending the money, and comes with 3/8" chain as opposed to .325 on the Husky. Both with 18" bars. I'm leaning towards the Dolmar, but am looking for other opinions.

Secondly, is it worth it to jump to the pro-level? I did with my 046 and couldn't be happier. I cut anywhere from 6 -10 cords a year, and this year with Irene, probably a cord or two more that that. I'm just not sure the jump in $$$ is justified here at the 50cc level, given the above saws. I've done enough searching here to know how good the 346xp is, and I think the 5105 can stand it's own against it, but now I'm possibly looking at a $75-$140 difference depending upon the saw picked. That's a lot of chains and possibly another bar for the same $$$. I'd love to go Stihl, but there's nothing really there other than the ms261, which is out of budget.

Thanks!

Hello, First post. I'm looking for a 50 cc saw to limb and do smaller felling with, to replace my very tired 029. I have an 046 for bigger stuff, and am looking at the above two saws. The Dolmar is $70 cheaper, although I have no issue spending the money, and comes with 3/8" chain as opposed to .325 on the Husky. Both with 18" bars. I'm leaning towards the Dolmar, but am looking for other opinions.

Secondly, is it worth it to jump to the pro-level? I did with my 046 and couldn't be happier. I cut anywhere from 6 -10 cords a year, and this year with Irene, probably a cord or two more that that. I'm just not sure the jump in $$$ is justified here at the 50cc level, given the above saws. I've done enough searching here to know how good the 346xp is, and I think the 5105 can stand it's own against it, but now I'm possibly looking at a $75-$140 difference depending upon the saw picked. That's a lot of chains and possibly another bar for the same $$$. I'd love to go Stihl, but there's nothing really there other than the ms261, which is out of budget.

Thanks!

Try the 353. I have one and it is a 346 clone. The 353 is just a lower HP version of the 346. I think that this would make an ultra dependable home owners saw. Mine has been a great saw.

ZG

They are about equal in power, but the 353 is closer to a pro saw, about a pound lighter (has the mag case of the 346xp vs. alu in the 510), and better in about all other aspects.

The huskies in that size limb better IMO. You can pick them up at the dealers and try to handle them and move around and mock as if you're cutting on a log.

I had a dolmar 510 and now have a husky 346, if that says anything. But I wasn't unhappy with the 510. It's really comfortable for bucking small to medium diameter trees. It's just not as agile when you're in the woods.

You've already proven this point to yourself with the 046. Get the upgraded saw, be it the Husky or the Dolmar. Either one will be half of the price of the larger Stihl.

If you get the 353, you'll always wonder about the 346, but if you go with the 346, you'll never think about the 353. And if you're going to own the saw for the next 10-20 years, how significant is the extra $75?

Never tried a newer Dolmar, so won´t comment on that one! As for the Husqvarna´s: I have a 353, and a 346xp, that I have used pretty much, this winter!
I have to say I like the 353 better for an over all saw, especialy if you plan on use all the lenght of that 18" bar!
The 346XP is fast, and perfect for limbing and small trees!
I know many people here will disagree, and maybe I´m not good enough to use the power of the 346XP?
But that was my 2 cents.

The choice to me is simple. 510 chineese made and the 353 Swedish made. Its a no brainer even though I would have to replace the muffler on the 353 with a non cat one!

It was rumored that the deal to assemble the dolmar ps-510s and 460s in china fell through and they are being made in Germany again. But who knows at this point? If you do go PS-510 you may wish to check where it's made, if that sort of thing is important to you.

It was rumored that the deal to assemble the dolmar ps-510s and 460s in china fell through and they are being made in Germany again. But who knows at this point? If you do go PS-510 you may wish to check where it's made, if that sort of thing is important to you.

Could be interesting for the rest of us, anyway :hmm3grin2orange:

Around these parts the Dolmar pro 50cc (5105) is actually cheaper than the Husky 353, so if it was me, id recommend getting the 5105. The 510 is a decent saw (and a solid value) but if the difference between it and its pro brother is only $70-90 Id definitely go pro.

You wont find much wood you cant tackle with a 5105/460 combo, imho.

The choice to me is simple. 510 chineese made and the 353 Swedish made. Its a no brainer even though I would have to replace the muffler on the 353 with a non cat one!

Not any longer! I was just at my Dolmar dealer today and he had a PS-510 in stock, serial # beginning 1003 meaning March of last year and that was already being made in Germany. He also had an older PS-460 from 09 that clearly indicated made in China.

Guys, thanks for the opinions and help. Fortunately I'll get a chance to try them both (actually all four of them) when I go back to the dealer on Friday. One last question, if i decide to go Husky, is it to my benefit to switch over to 3/8" chain?

Thanks!

Guys, thanks for the opinions and help. Fortunately I'll get a chance to try them both (actually all four of them) when I go back to the dealer on Friday. One last question, if i decide to go Husky, is it to my benefit to switch over to 3/8" chain?

Thanks!

That question is like going into a mine field! :biggrinbounce2:
I use 325 on all my >60cc saws, And I´m very satisfied with that!

They are about equal in power, but the 353 is closer to a pro saw, about a pound lighter (has the mag case of the 346xp vs. alu in the 510), and better in about all other aspects.
Mr Impartial strikes again....

Being an Efco owner who has run all the saws you have mentioned- the 5105 smokes the others, it's something else. The 510 is a good 50cc saw, and I'd venture it will be less trouble over time vs. the Husky in terms of build quality. That is impartial.

I spent a bunch of time researching the same pair last winter. I chose the Dolmar solely based on dealer access. None of the Husky Dealers close to me actually had the 353 in stock, and none of them did their own service. I did take the time to drive to a full service Arborist supply who had the 353 in stock, and who highly recommended it for my land owner use, which is about the same as your description.

Flip over to Dolmar and the nearest dealer of any saws carries them exclusively. He is a small shop, and took time to let me do some cutting in his back lot with the 510, and the 460.
I went with the 510 and the 18" bar. It was a great year to have picked up a new saw; two ice storms over the winter, two hurricanes over the summer, and a rarer still earthquake. Coupled with some old growth oak that are dying maybe due to a decade or so of dry weather (though this year was certainly wet), and I've probably gone through double my typical cutting.

So, bottom line, I did not ever actually cut with the 353, so I cannot make a direct comparison. But, I am very happy with the Dolmar 510. Spent the last three days limbing six major Pin Oaks, and I really like the balance of this saw as I step among the downed limbs and clean up. I do not like all the dragging and racking the stuff, but wife has picnic plans for the weekend, so I'll be out there again tomorrow and Friday too.

I did not ever actually cut with the 353, so I cannot make a direct comparison. But, I am very happy with the Dolmar 510.

Funny how almost universally those of us who have the Dolmar 510 are pleased with it.:msp_thumbup: Even funnier is how its biggest detractors are those who have never used it.:msp_tongue:

Last edited:

Thanks!

The narrow kerf chain and bar is one of the secrets with that saw. The NK provides a big performance boost over both .325 standard and 3/8.
ZG

Mr Impartial strikes again....

Being an Efco owner who has run all the saws you have mentioned- the 5105 smokes the others, it's something else. The 510 is a good 50cc saw, and I'd venture it will be less trouble over time vs. the Husky in terms of build quality. That is impartial.

What is that statement based on? Last year I was at a forrest scholl, they had Husky 353 and Stihl 260! The saws here are really being used/abussed, and the said they had very few problems with the 353!

One last question, if i decide to go Husky, is it to my benefit to switch over to 3/8" chain

Yes: Because you would only have to deal with one size files for your chains, and one roll if you make your own chains.

No: For limbing .325 is probably smoother and less grabby, and while there are people happily using 3/8" on such small saws it's not how it's supposed to be set up and the saw will be much happier with .325.

I sometimes think that if I had bought a 353 with heated handles as my first saw I would still have only one saw and be very happy with it. Now, I didn't, and you ca see in my sig. how that turned out for me...

Latest posts

Back