Dolmar saw ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

74fencer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a 5100 chainsaw and think it is great. I am in the market for a 12" or 14" Gas cut off saw. Dolmar has about 5 in thier lineup. Does anyone have any experience with them? Of course Husky and Stihl are pretty popular in my area but after having the 5100 and liking the quality I would like to spend my $ wisely as this is an expensive purchase. Thanks for the help in advance.

Dolmar Cutoff Saw

The mason that worked on my house has a private label Dolmar (Speedy Cut??). He is very happy. Has always had Stihl before. Says this saw is more reliable and that he has never had to replace the jug like on his Stihls. Says he will never have another Stihl cut off saw. Funny thing is, he likes his cut off saw and is considering a Dolmar chainsaw.

I have a Makita(Dolmar) 7301. It is light weight(almost entirely plastic) compared to others that I have. It has nice power. The gas tank holds a lot of fuel. It is fairly quiet and smooth to operate.

Now for the bad point. It has the worst, cheap, crappy starter that I have seen on a modern saw. It has been a problem. The entire saw has a cheap feel to it. Parts are hard for me to get.

Mine has had a top end rebuild done. The air filter system is not very good. If you are looking for a saw to cut concrete, I would look very carefully at the air filter systems. I would not recommend these saws for concrete. Look at Partner brand.

Justsaws said:
I have a Makita(Dolmar) 7301. It is light weight(almost entirely plastic) compared to others that I have. It has nice power. The gas tank holds a lot of fuel. It is fairly quiet and smooth to operate.

Now for the bad point. It has the worst, cheap, crappy starter that I have seen on a modern saw. It has been a problem. The entire saw has a cheap feel to it. Parts are hard for me to get.

Mine has had a top end rebuild done. The air filter system is not very good. If you are looking for a saw to cut concrete, I would look very carefully at the air filter systems. I would not recommend these saws for concrete. Look at Partner brand.

Hmmm... Well "Quote entirely plastic"????? the saw has magnesium crankcases, Sure it has a plastic gas tank and hood and recoil housing what's wrong with that??? "Quote crappy starter"???? do you use the deco valve? I have had no problems with the starter assembly maybe a rope now and then but show me a concrete saw that will not use up a rope.. "Quote Parts hard to get"???? Parts for Dolmar through a Dolmar dealer are no issue at all!!! As far as the 5 stage air filter system goes this is a excellent system BUT you still need to service the saw now and then!!. I have yet had issues with worn pistons or cylinders... You mention Partner I ask WHO?? where are their dealers you damn Dolmar and recommend Partner theres a company with no support in my opinion.... All I can say is that I have been selling alot of the Dolmar cut off saws with NO MAJOR PROBLEMS and MANY HAPPY CUSTOMERS. Isn't that what really counts?

Scott

Last edited:
The problem with the starter is not rope breaking but the rope pulley separating from the spring. Yes, I do use the decomp. valve. You are correct about the crankcase but you forgot to mention the screws, bolts and nuts.:dizzy: Five stage air filtration? 7301.

It is a good saw, it is not as good as others that I have used. That is my opinion. He asked and I answered. I would rather buy almost any Stihl cut off saw. Still would not buy a Husky.

Dolmar distributor 80 miles away and has to order any parts, always willing to sell me a new one while I wait and wait.

Partner dealer last time I checked 60 miles away. Same deal, but saw did not fall apart.

Stihl dealers abound. Nice saws, but not as nice as the Partner.

Husky, no good dealers locally.

If bad opinions about Dolmar products are going to upset you, do not sell their blowers.

I will edit this to add that I am a happy Dolmar chainsaw owner and user but that it is my opinion that no brand does it all excellently. There are other brands of cut off saws (and blowers) that are better.

Yes, I do the maintence. I do appreciate a dealers first conclusion of blaming the operator though. Thanks, you could sell Stihls.

Last edited:
cut off saw

We have several pc-7312 & pc-7314's in our rental fleet
awesome saw no major problems in many years
contractors like them much better than the husky&stihl's we used to have

Latest posts

Back