Dolmar vs Redmax

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

441_Stihl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hi all I am wanting to purchase a chain saw.Will be clearing lots.I have had a Stihl and Husky in the past.Would like to try a Dolmar or Redmax.Has anyone used these or know if they are any good.Would appreciate any feedback

I sell both Dolmar and Redmax, here's how I see it. Redmax is a handheld power equipment company that makes chainsaws, Dolmar is a chainsaw company that makes (sells, they buy many of their trimmer engines) handheld power equipment.

I'm also a RedMax dealer. RedMax's largest saw is 4.1HP, which costs you $474.99 with a 24" bar. Dolmar sells their 3.8-4.0HP 5100S for 409.95 and you can option up to a 20" bar if you have a good dealer.

Redmax makes a good saw, but they are a little low on power compared to Stihl and Dolmar. Also, they only go up to a 24" bar 62 cc saw.

I'd go with the Dolmar saw or buy a Husky or Stihl. We don't even bother to stock RedMax saws anymore because the Dolmar units wipe the floor with them even in weight.

DOLMARatOs said:
I'm also a RedMax dealer. RedMax's largest saw is 4.1HP, which costs you $474.99 with a 24" bar. Dolmar sells their 3.8-4.0HP 5100S for 409.95 and you can option up to a 20" bar if you have a good dealer.

Redmax makes a good saw, but they are a little low on power compared to Stihl and Dolmar. Also, they only go up to a 24" bar 62 cc saw.

I'd go with the Dolmar saw or buy a Husky or Stihl. We don't even bother to stock RedMax saws anymore because the Dolmar units wipe the floor with them even in weight.
Thank you I am thinking something in the 50 cc range so far thinking of the Dolmar 5100 or Stihl 026 pro or the Husky 346 XP any help on those ?

Stan, of those three, I would take the 5100 hands down.

The 346 is a nice powerful saw, but the 5100 has more grunt to pull 3/8 chain and bury the bar in hardwoods with a more forgiving powerband than the 346. The 346 doesn't really like to bury the bar with say a 16" or 18: in hardwoods with 3/8 chain. It, to me, is more of a limbing saw. It has a high powerband that you must keep it in to cut well. That is not always the case when cutting firewood.

I don't have much time behind a 260, but the little I do, tells me the 5100 is the best choice in the 50cc class.

Granted, this is just my preference, but many others will agree.

dont forget the 353, which is 346xp´s big brother... 51,7cc and bit wider powerband + its cheaper than 346xp...

Thank you freakingstang

I am a fan of the higher rpms nothing makes up for chain speed.Does the Dolmer turn as many as the Husky 346 xp

stan_1966 said:
I am a fan of the higher rpms nothing makes up for chain speed.Does the Dolmer turn as many as the Husky 346 xp

14.5K It is a little higher that the 346xp. I think the 346 is 13.5K. It isn't just the RPM, it is the torque that keeps the RPM up there.

Freakingstang said:
14.5K It is a little higher that the 346xp. I think the 346 is 13.5K. It isn't just the RPM, it is the torque that keeps the RPM up there.

346xp is 14,7k rpm, while 353 is 13k...

346xp

as Of now my choice is between the Husky 346 xp and the Dolmer 5100
I know the Husky is a pro quality saw is the Dolmer as well

stan_1966, do you have any Dolmar dealers in your area that have been around for a while? If you do then check out the 5100. It's supposed to be one heck of a saw, 11 lbs. 4 hp! If you don't have a good dealer that's been around for a while then I'd look at the 346XP.

I won't even consider a Dolmar because Dolmar dealers don't last to long in my area. One opens up, then closes down or switches brands. They just don't last to long. My area is a Stihl and Husqvarna (even Jonsered) hotbed.

NYH1 said:
stan_1966, do you have any Dolmar dealers in your area that have been around for a while? If you do then check out the 5100. It's supposed to be one heck of a saw, 11 lbs. 4 hp! If you don't have a good dealer that's been around for a while then I'd look at the 346XP.

I won't even consider a Dolmar because Dolmar dealers don't last to long in my area. One opens up, then closes down or switches brands. They just don't last to long. My area is a Stihl and Husqvarna (even Jonsered) hotbed.
in my local town i have a Stihl and Husky dealer plus a Jonsered.The closest Dolmar dealer is 40 miles away,But what read and heard am impressed by the 5100 Dolmer

stan_1966 said:
in my local town i have a Stihl and Husky dealer plus a Jonsered.The closest Dolmar dealer is 40 miles away,But what read and heard am impressed by the 5100 Dolmer
Me too, but here is my situation. I have 9 or 10 Stihl dealers, 7 Husqvarna dealers and 3 Jonsered dealers within a half hour drive (25 miles) of me. Half of them are within 15 minutes (10 to 15 miles) of me. There is one Dolmar dealer that I know of. I don't know anyone that's done any business with them. Most people that I've talked to don't think they'll last, so they stay away. There is one other place that doesn't stock Dolmar but will order them. I guess if you don't mind driving 40 miles it might be worth it. Me personally I wouldn't drive 40 miles, I'd go with the Husky (which I am, gonna get a 353). You're not going to go wrong either way. Just my $0.02 though. Good luck and let us know what you end up doing!

anyone used

has anyone used either the Dolmar 5100 or the Husky 346XP

Well. I ran a Dolmar 5100S today. Had the 18" 3/8 bar on it. Oregon 72LG Pro chain. This is my new demonstrator saw. Started up for 1/2 hour run in and check. Wound up running 2 gallons of fuel through it.

Was cutting 12-16" White oak. Cut up a 40' tree into 18" pieces for a neighbor. No problems, Gobs of power of course. I've always been inpressed with the 5100S.

But, if you want a good saw and don't want the $400.00 price tag, the 510 is a very respectable saw with a lot of power for the weight. $329.99 is the sticker with an 18" bar. We sell them for $329 and include a free case, 6 pack of oil, gloves, hat and glasses.

We sell a LOT of Red Max, none of it saws, and a fair amount of Dolmar, all saws.

Red Max isn't really in the saw business any more than Dolmr is in the Back Pack business.

I wonder if Husky intends to share any saws with Red Max? I can already order some of the Red Max backpacks in orange from Husky. (7001, 8000 is on the way)

DOLMARatOs said:
Well. I ran a Dolmar 5100S today. Had the 18" 3/8 bar on it. Oregon 72LG Pro chain. This is my new demonstrator saw. Started up for 1/2 hour run in and check. Wound up running 2 gallons of fuel through it.

Was cutting 12-16" White oak. Cut up a 40' tree into 18" pieces for a neighbor. No problems, Gobs of power of course. I've always been inpressed with the 5100S.

But, if you want a good saw and don't want the $400.00 price tag, the 510 is a very respectable saw with a lot of power for the weight. $329.99 is the sticker with an 18" bar. We sell them for $329 and include a free case, 6 pack of oil, gloves, hat and glasses.
That dont sound to bad.My closest Dolmar dealer is 40 miles away hav'nt went to check on prices.But is willing to pay a bit more for a pro saw

I'm a bit sad to see what has happened with the Husk RedMax thing. The only reason I'm a RedMax dealer is the EBZ8001 and reciprocator. If the EBZ8001 is going to be available through Husky, then the local husky dealer a mile down the road will undercut me to pieces and smile when he does it. Oh well. So long for RedMax. Then again, Husky used to have all nice saws till EHP got hold of them. Now they have "just a few" cheap saws in their line up. Then again, most people start out with "just a few" cancer sells.

I really hope that Husky keeps their larger saws and develops the RedMax stuff into their line and continues to produce good saws. I'd hate to see them end up like Homelite or Troy-Bilt or even the new Pull-ons.

DOLMARatOs said:
I'm a bit sad to see what has happened with the Husk RedMax thing. The only reason I'm a RedMax dealer is the EBZ8001 and reciprocator. If the EBZ8001 is going to be available through Husky, then the local husky dealer a mile down the road will undercut me to pieces and smile when he does it. Oh well. So long for RedMax. Then again, Husky used to have all nice saws till EHP got hold of them. Now they have "just a few" cheap saws in their line up. Then again, most people start out with "just a few" cancer sells.

I really hope that Husky keeps their larger saws and develops the RedMax stuff into their line and continues to produce good saws. I'd hate to see them end up like Homelite or Troy-Bilt or even the new Pull-ons.
I agree with you.I do have to give stihl credit for only selling through thier dealers.And what I hear is they take care of them

stan_1966 said:
has anyone used either the Dolmar 5100 or the Husky 346XP

Ummmm......... Do a little searching on this site, lots and lots and lots of information to be gained, you can read for days!!
Andy

Latest posts

Back