DOLMAR Wankel came in !

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never knew they made Wankle chains saws very cool.

Re Arctic Cats. My father speaks longingly of his rotary Panther (1969). He also worked at a dealer shortly after that and worked on his fair share. He said they had a wild amount of torque, nothing like any other machine out at that time. He said the kicker with them was they tended to need more maintenance they the conventional 2-Strokes, were thirsty as all get out and the mufflers ran cherry red all the time.

The last two I could see being an issue in a saw.

I bet you wouldn't need much in the way of AV stuff with them!

K

Re Arctic Cats. My father speaks longingly of his rotary Panther (1969). He also worked at a dealer shortly after that and worked on his fair share. He said they had a wild amount of torque, nothing like any other machine out at that time. He said the kicker with them was they tended to need more maintenance they the conventional 2-Strokes, were thirsty as all get out and the mufflers ran cherry red all the time.

K

There is no AV on them :) And they are very smooth saws.

K

My mistake on the torque. Was based on, at best, second hand info. Oops...
Guess I'll eat my humble pie now..

mmmmmmm.... pie

I ran mine at a few GTG's and no one understood the uniqueness so now it stays at home.

Bill

Bill I'm going to call you out on this as I would like to see one in action for sure if you get the chance to swing over this way again. I found you collection of great interest. YOu celarly have some rare birds in your barn:msp_wub:

that sure looks neat, I guess alot of wankel engines in cars sound kinda like 2 cycles...or chainsaws :biggrin:

Heres a few pics after a quick clean up. Will also get it running asap. View attachment 279973View attachment 279974View attachment 279975

Thats one of the cleanest KMS-4's i've seen but this one is brand new! I have the original box, books, & tool kit!

Run some leaded fuel in the saw if you have or can get it.

attachment.php

I ran mine at a few GTG's and no one understood the uniqueness so now it stays at home.

Bill

Bill,
I think there should be a few more guys at this GTG that have a better Dolmar appretiation... That being said you should bring it along this Spring! It would be the only time I've ever laid eyes on one personally... Many of the guys don't understand the significance unless they sit down with you and get a history lesson on some of the older saws!

Cheers!
Nate

PS: I think the some of the younger crowd (including myself) need a chainsaw history appreciation class!

attachment.php
[/QUOTE]

I'd give my left nut for a saw like that :hmm3grin2orange:

In the '70's , after leaded gas was phased out , Arctic Cat recommended "Rotella" oil for the 303 sachs wankel . That's what we used and never had any issues wearing out the sliders .

Back