Don't judge a book by its cover

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BonScott46

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Came up on this metal tag 036 Swedish ebay and thought I would share. Underneath a thick gooey layer of dried vegetabe oil, the pictures do not do the goo justice, is a 20+ year old saw in excellent condition. I thought the cylinder was an aftermarket when looking at it with the top cover on because it looked right out of the box...I was wrong.:) Not quite sure how the rest of the saw can look like it does and the cylinder is not even discolored. I did not post pics but it has the markings on the transfers as well as the A Class stamp on top. They are still out there...

Attachments

• DSC02412.JPG
    DSC02412.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 108
  • DSC02403.JPG
    DSC02403.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 107
  • DSC02402.JPG
    DSC02402.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 107
  • DSC02399.JPG
    DSC02399.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 105
  • DSC02398.JPG
    DSC02398.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 103
  • DSC02418.JPG
    DSC02418.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 98
Not that anyone probably cares but I FINALLY got this thing back together. It has been in my signature for a while but it was not actually running, silly me. I stripped it down to the case and spent several hours picking goo out of everything crack and crevice and then did my best to shine it up. The vegetable oil and dirt had stained the plastics and clutch cover a bit so I switched them with nicer examples I hadDSC02785.JPG DSC02784.JPG DSC02782.JPG DSC02781.JPG DSC02780.JPG . It also took a bit of the paint with it in places but overall I think it turned out quite nice. The oil hose had been eaten through and the worm gear was trash but other than that and the dirt the saw was like new. There was not one speck of dirt or sawdust in the tank and the filter looked brand new. The fuel line and the intake manifold were soft and in perfect shape. The seals looked straight out of the bag.

I pulled the jug which turned out to be a Stihl branded example and the plating looked like it had never been run. The was a little carbony goo in the combustion chamder and on the piston as seen in the previous pics but that cleaned up easily. The cylinder was very nicely cast with very little flash, large lower transfer ports and a wide smooth flat squish band. I had a Mahle decomp jug and piston from an 036QS mess that I had picked up and the Stihl jug looked much nicer. The Mahle had a narrower squish band with a ridge in it, smaller lower transfers as well as casting irregularities in the transfers. The piston did have significantly larger windows than the Stihl brand so I did swap them. Squish was right around .020 with no gasket. I did put in a gasket however because I put in one ring since I have no ring compressor and was using a zip tie which is already a PITA with one ring. I plan on pulling it apart after some run time and maybe putting another ring in it as well as deleting the gasket. Have not put a compression tester on it.

Drilled a few holes in the baffle and bolted a 288 deflector on the muffler, put some gas in it and it popped on choke after 5 pulls. I have not put it to wood yet but it has some insane throttle response. I did not rebuild the carb but it seems to be in good working order so far I have a metal screen type filter on it at the moment so there is not much inhibiting flow at either end. Pretty pumped to get it in some wood. I think I may a 24 inch bar to break it in and set the ring.:D

Right on! I love my 036. My dad bought it new sometime in the 90s, and used it for 2-3 cords a year for 25 years. After he hurt his shoulder I traded him a dolmar 421 for it, which he can start much more easily. The 036 got used only occasionally, but I recently sent it off for a Dr visit in New York. Now it absolutely screams. Gotta really commit to pulling the rope. It helps a lot to pull the piston to the top of the stroke and get a running start on the next compression stroke. I'm hoping to get to run it a little more this week and get the H jet dialed in and find the right combination of sprocket size and raker height. They really are a nice size saw. Not bulky or heavy by any means, but great power, especially with the metal filter and some foredom massaging...

Right on! I love my 036. My dad bought it new sometime in the 90s, and used it for 2-3 cords a year for 25 years. After he hurt his shoulder I traded him a dolmar 421 for it, which he can start much more easily. The 036 got used only occasionally, but I recently sent it off for a Dr visit in New York. Now it absolutely screams. Gotta really commit to pulling the rope. It helps a lot to pull the piston to the top of the stroke and get a running start on the next compression stroke. I'm hoping to get to run it a little more this week and get the H jet dialed in and find the right combination of sprocket size and raker height. They really are a nice size saw. Not bulky or heavy by any means, but great power, especially with the metal filter and some foredom massaging...
I saw the video the good Dr posted of it pulling the 36, impressive to say the least.

Similar fairy tale about the 044 I picked up on my local CL. Old metal tag, I didn't know all the differences. But it turned out to be a 10mm KS jug unit. Guy said I bought it new in 92' and it don't have a lot of hours. It was cruddy as skunk but I seen right through it. Got it home, stripped it down to the engine and spent 4 hours cleaning it. I ended up with a pretty clean saw and the piston looks brand new. He certainly was not joking when he said it don't have a lot of hours. One of those deals, I need to get in the truck and go right now to get it or it'll be gone! I tried to negotiate, he said nah, there's 5 guys right after me...lol

Similar fairy tale about the 044 I picked up on my local CL. Old metal tag, I didn't know all the differences. But it turned out to be a 10mm KS jug unit. Guy said I bought it new in 92' and it don't have a lot of hours. It was cruddy as skunk but I seen right through it. Got it home, stripped it down to the engine and spent 4 hours cleaning it. I ended up with a pretty clean saw and the piston looks brand new. He certainly was not joking when he said it don't have a lot of hours. One of those deals, I need to get in the truck and go right now to get it or it'll be gone! I tried to negotiate, he said nah, there's 5 guys right after me...lol
I will trade you.:reading:

Latest posts

Back