Dont Miss This One!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Butch, It's a numbers thing. -Smaller populations. Limited manufacturing (Of course Kiwis and Aussies can build anything but they don't necessarily have the demand to inspire the production.) and a specialized industry. Frankly, I had trouble finding gear HERE 20 years ago.-I could order stuff from the Eastern U.S. but there was nowhere to walk in a purchase stuff. Chippers and stumpgrinders were almost mythical machines except for Whisper chippers towed by big Orange.

My understanding is that Altec makes them for Asplundh. I think that once upon a time Asplundh owned the drum "Whisper Chipper" design.

Yeah money is money Butch but a kiwi dollar only gets about 64 US cents. We have alot of ocean between us and most manufacturers and with a smaller market there are less customers per middle man. NZ only has 4 million people.

A company here makes great 6 inch chippers simular to gravely 625lr's but its going to cost almost 20,000 us dollars to get one.(they probably only sell 10 a year at the MOST) once you start staying things such as brush bandit and vemeer things get real steep.

Me and my mate before costs make about 450 US dollars a day. Contract climbing I make between 20 and 30 us dollars an hour so to get an ms200 takes alot of work as they are about 1050 us dollars here. I brought 2 huskys from Baileys for the price of what one would cost me here.

It costs about 2500 to 3500 to get a chipper from the US to here.

I currently live on 100 us dollars a week. Thats food, rent (with 3 others) power and phone. All other money goes into gear, insurance, fuel, advertising and saws!!!!!. I dont mind as Im building up a business from nothing and love what I do more than anything in this world. Hey we are used to the cost, its only once we see what you guys are getting it stings a little, but being on a bunch of islands has its advantages to!

What we really appreciate is guys such as Marky Mark and Caprice from Baileys going the extra mile to help us out to get gear from the states. We have the money, its the good contacts that are hard to get!

spoiltrotten

You make some exellent points Timber, I wish I had more time in my mission to replace my gear, shopping offshore IS way cheaper

I could of saved enough to fly there and get it all myself...

It is the time factor involved, takes a long time to cross the waters to Sydney, then customs, then get it to me...With the postage costs and 15% (G.S.T and duty) on top of what you buy,then wait 3 weeks (or more) for it....Takes to long..

Some "luxury" items, i've ordered from the US (light ones), things I wont need next week but will soon... I will let you know how long it took, from paying credit card online till it gets to me...

Butch, if you had any idea of what we can do in the bush with cr@p, knock this together,make that, fix this, get an old car chassie, turn the motor (4cyl) side ways , mount some long belts and a 24" circular blade on it, (put some shrouds around it)...

As fast as you can push up the "spindel", fire wood falls off onto the homemade conveyer belt ( if it dident get split by the homemade hyd,blockbuster)..

Point being U.S a thousand bucks...WOW...couldent buy the steel and the welding rods for that(over here) A diesel engine is'nt hard to re ring and add some bearings(there sleaved rembember)..Some times you have to get your hands a little dirty.

To Break it down somemore, hydrolic pump and hoses,the drum even a good cartrailer here would be 2grand..This ones built in..(Well it's on wheels anyway...)

let me put it another way, a reaonable bc1000 (2nd hand) is about AU$ 40,000. Must be the yellow paint...

AN older "green" one for U.S $1000.00...Just let me at it...

it will still turn big stuff into little stuff, before you could lug it up on a truck.. BARGIN...Derek..(A REALIST, EVEN IF IT LOOKED LIKE CR@P)

OPPS

o.k so the pic of the motor just opened(crawlup is down to a dial)
huggg so its a petrol six..Still, good on the winner...He will make his money back in no time....Ill track it myself and send the winner some encouragment, God knows he would'nt get any from you,Butch....Maybe it will go to a much younger "climber" who hasent been so tarnished with age, might even be able to get his hands dirty..Just what did you start with?? and when do you pick up your own crain,or does it have to be painted first,,

Sarcasticly yours Derek..

i saw a 20'' vermeer for 18kUS and one for sale local at 55k both around same condition.a chuck n duck will eliminate most brush disposal problems.do we need these big chippers?i was using a brand new 250xp bandit a few months back other than taking the bigger timber it wasnt as good as feeding my chuck duck and blocked twice feeding cedar.there is a 50k difference in machines,all machines have there draw backs some more than others.its all in how you operate,qoute in your buis my.02 worth

For the most part, old chuck and duck chippers are pretty simple machines, as long as the engine was solid it wouldnt be to hard to refurbish that relic. You may have to put another $1,000 into it, but after its all said and done ya got your self a decent chipper for about $2,000.

Kenn

Originally posted by DDM
From What I understood and which i believe this [linked] article explains is that Asplundh Invented the Chipper.
I'd seen that before when going to their site to see about maybe getting a shop manual for my buddy who has one of their "chuck-n-duck"s.&nbsp; I think it's safe, at least, to say they "introduced" a chipper that was <i>of their own design</i>.&nbsp; It may have been the first of its kind, but I'm reminded of the time I'd seen a Microsoft timeline in which they proclaimed introduction of the mouse as a pointing device when in fact it (and windowed, networked text pages with links that called other such pages) was invented while Bill was still in fifth grade, or thereabouts.&nbsp; Ambiguous language, at least.

The www.uspto.gov site only has searchable patents going back to 1976 so a little effort would be required to research the chipper deal.&nbsp; I guess I'm not curious enough at this time.

Glen

you seem interested:laugh: microsoft is like a modern chipper with auto feed nice paint :confused:

Supposedly chippers were invented right here in MA at Fitchburg Engineering, but I haven't been able to verify or disprove that claim.

Erik, I have seen one VERY old Fitchburg chipper. They may have indeed invented one. It wouldn't be surprising to learn of parrallel development either. I "invented" the stump grinder 15 years ago then discovered that they had been in production for decades.:rolleyes:

<form name=gs method=GET action=http://www.google.com/search>
<input type=text name=q size=31 maxlength=256 value="wood chipper invented">
<input type=submit name=btnI value="Google's "I'm Feeling Lucky"">
</form>
Check your "Back" button before closing the window...

Back