Double front pants

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a reason the Filson pants are known "tin pants". They say that you can brush them to clean em. Don't bother:smile2:. If it was going to be cold and rainy, that's what went on. Actually if it was going to be cold and wet, or snow I wore a wool union suit, tin pants, Hickory shirt, and a tin coat. I hardly ever wore rain gear, just never felt comfortable working in them.

Im gonna drop some geeters on rain apparel this weekend. those double tin pants look nice, but they will be the most expensive pare of trousers I have ever owned. not even Ralph Lauren costs that much!

Filson is crazy expensive stuff. I have several of their garments but I bought them before the current owner and the constant price increases. I just received an e-mail ad from Filson denim jeans at $198.00!!! Their tin gear and maybe their woolen garments are all that I would ever consider buying. Much if not most of their line is made overseas anyway.

Nearly all my Nomex clothing came from ebay, BUT I know what I'm looking for. The best time to buy Nomex wildland gear is between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Here is a good source for wildland gear. There are several in the PNW too.
Gear & Equipment for Wildland Fire Fighting, Forest Firefighters & Wild Land Firefighter

I'd hate to think what it'd cost me to replace the Filson gear I own. At my age I probably wouldn't. I use to get their catalogs. I could always find their stuff cheaper at places Like Swains in Port Angeles or Madsen's.

Can testify to Filson I have the packer hat where it when ever it rains and im working outside Im a diesel mechanic running road calls works great cant say enough As for pants Wild Ass all day all the way but make sure you get the good suspenders I got all my stuff from Baileys and paid top dollar trying to but togther some cash for Filson pants and a coat just cant say enough about great stuff kinda stiff to where at first but great stuff wears like iron and Im very hard on my stuff

I found the best price on tin pants was at an independent department store in Chehalis. It is across from Staples.

Tin pants breathe a bit, and are easier for me to move around in. I can only wear them in cooler weather because they are rough so you need to wear long undies under them. They are way more comfie than the rubber rainpants. They hold up well in the brush.

May have to get me a pair of these tin pants if I keep spending time in the brush. Rubber rain-gear doesn't breathe at all and non rubber rain-gear seems to tear if you get within ten feet of a bush.

One question, are these "tin's" overly hot? ie only for winter conditions....? 8 months out of the year high temps don't exceed 60 here.

I found the best price on tin pants was at an independent department store in Chehalis. It is across from Staples.

Tin pants breathe a bit, and are easier for me to move around in. I can only wear them in cooler weather because they are rough so you need to wear long undies under them. They are way more comfie than the rubber rainpants. They hold up well in the brush.

Wanna send me a pair for reimbursment, (how ever you spell it. .)??

Wanna send me a pair for reimbursment, (how ever you spell it. .)??

I think you should try them on before buying. They come unhemmed, I seem to recall. I hemmed the first pair and of course, that was torn in the brush. So, I just cut them off, which is the customary thing to do here.

I didn't see what the price is now, but they were $90 something.

chehalis is a long way from here though. Plus if I order off the web, I won't be able to try on first anyway. I can send you the $$ in advance, just let me know if you get some spare time. it is not raining steady down here yet, but I know it is coming. .

I think they're great for any wet day but the heavy rain all day type. You'll love them. You may prefer breaking them in with long underwear with all the oil on the inside, after that you won't care much. Way worth $100 or so whatever they are asking now.

Keeping them a little clean is similar to boots in a way, the mud on them will just wear the fabric out faster, you definately don't have to do much.

Filson is crazy expensive stuff. I have several of their garments but I bought them before the current owner and the constant price increases. I just received an e-mail ad from Filson denim jeans at $198.00!!! Their tin gear and maybe their woolen garments are all that I would ever consider buying. Much if not most of their line is made overseas anyway.

Nearly all my Nomex clothing came from ebay, BUT I know what I'm looking for. The best time to buy Nomex wildland gear is between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Here is a good source for wildland gear. There are several in the PNW too.
Gear & Equipment for Wildland Fire Fighting, Forest Firefighters & Wild Land Firefighter

The Supply Cache is a great company!

I used to have a pair of Ben Davis Gorilla Cut pants. My wife sewed in some chaps (Labonville) to the fronts of these pants to get the protection I needed. I used them for alot of things other than cutting, even when I was moonlighting carpentry, just flat out wore them out. I can tell you, they were the best feeling pants I ever wore and really worked well in the woods. Since I don't sling around as much timber as I used to. I just use what ever jeans are handy that are loose fitting and throw on a pair of Stihl Chaps (that I hate)...when I can remember to pack them. :)
I also own my second Filson Logger coat which I wouldn't trade for anything!
I wore my first one out, sent it to Filson for repairs, and they decided instead of repairing it, they would just give me a new one free of charge!! After almost 10 years of owning it. Now that is real USA customer service!!

Fancy stuff is nice, but a guy can do fine with a few pairs of levis and a few pairs of wranglers. Though Wranglers don't last long. Almost every pair I own have holey back pockets from saw wrenches. .

Well it looks like I will be spending my Winter Break out in the woods with the timber company that is being contracted to log a piece of land for "us". It's a 5 mil bd-ft. job so there should be plenty of time for [no pun intended] "getting my feet wet". I just may need to look into some of this Filson garb. Us mill-rats aren't used to the severe inclement winter weather. :hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back