Downsides to ported saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i don't like asking for help weather i need it or not.
but thanks for offering
my kid nearly lost a finger in a woodsplitter today, so another step backwords
life has it's ups and downs, were on a bit off a down swing right now

Ouch, glad he didn't lose it though. I have a brother (one of six) who went through a rough patch earlier this year (without work). He wouldn't ask for help. I offered to help. He told me he would never ask for help and never would accept any. He sold all kinds of things to make it. Fortunately, things turned around. I just wanted him to know I (and the rest of the family) are here for him; and, we want to help if he would let us. It was hard to see him suffer.

Anyhow, we got side tracked but you know where we are. Good luck and God Bless.

Who mods 562xp mufflers? It looks like it needs to be split and welded back together and i don't have a welder.

You can mod them without splitting if you have some long carbide burrs in a grinder. I did a 555 like that. I opened it all the way up under the deflector.

You just left the inside alone?

I gutted everything inside it. It takes a little while to do since you have to go through the outlet and inlet to do it. The gas goes in and down and then back up to the outlet. It probably took me 45 minutes of messing around to do it.

I gutted everything inside it. It takes a little while to do since you have to go through the outlet and inlet to do it. The gas goes in and down and then back up to the outlet. It probably took me 45 minutes of messing around to do it.

Ok gotcha. Thanks

Money is being ponied........
Sometimes things just fall in place.

Although, that wasn't ever my issue. Guess that just wont get through to all, but hey, I'm the one who hasn't run a saw worked over by one of the saw gurus on here. And even then, what will 1 saw, by 1 tuner prove?

Its pretty amazing that NO-ONE who has run a ported saw chimed in with any downsides, no cases of robbing Peter to pay Paul. Oh well, as they say - time to find out for myself. Or at least wait a couple of weeks for it to wing its way to me!

If you don't mind me asking, what saw have you decided on? Some saws, as you can read up on here about, doesn't gain like others. Some come from the factory pretty nice runners. The husqvarna 42 special comes to mind. When a couple of my close friends around here cracked on of those open to port it, they noticed that there was very little room for modification with it. Some saws are really choked up from the factory though and are greatly helped by porting. Porting isn't as magical as it seems everytime but with the right saw it is a ridiculous improvement. As stated by others earlier on, after you run your first ported saw I think you'll be addicted. After that it'll take its own course. I prefer work saws but I've run a buddy's 044 that's wildly ported and has a tuned expansion chamber. It's a race saw but its still fun to cut with. I hope you enjoy your first monster saw and I'm sure more will likely come.

Loco

I ended up with a Husky 385 from Terry Landrum. I'd been looking for bigger saw than what I had, and I'd had a run on a couple of the contenders, bigger and smaller, but I haven't used a stock 385/390 so I may not really be proving anything! I was quite taken with a Husky 395, so losing a couple of pounds on that seems like a good idea.

I've gone from 3 saws to 6 since finding arboristsite.com, apparently this is normal?

Current fleet of huskies-

445 (meh, still annoyed that I didn't do any research before buying this saw and decided I'd buy it instead of a 346 on the advice of the dealer)
268 (Dad's. He is sentimental about it.)

Since joining here

Wicked work saws 385 (cant wait till it arrives)
359 (bargain, figure I might see if I can make this work a little harder myself)

Great saw

You really will enjoy that saw. The only problem will be finding big wood to feed it. Terry builds saws with an attitude. They seem to be angry.:msp_w00t:

Be safe.

You really will enjoy that saw. The only problem will be finding big wood to feed it. Terry builds saws with an attitude. They seem to be angry.:msp_w00t:

Be safe.

Thanks! I knew I needed a bigger saw, felling a heavy leaner and watching it start to break away quicker than I could get out the back of my plunge cut confirmed it. All was well, but getting jobs done without having to clean my undies out with a spoon is preferable.

I do WAY too much cutting on wet and/or windy days, as that's how it fits in my work. My main business is spraying weeds, so any weather when I cant spray I try and hunt other jobs. Tends to be weather when you want to get the job done and get the hell out of there. Figure this saw will fit with that theory.

Careful of big gun luring you into bad neighborhood

Thanks! I knew I needed a bigger saw, felling a heavy leaner and watching it start to break away quicker than I could get out the back of my plunge cut confirmed it. All was well, but getting jobs done without having to clean my undies out with a spoon is preferable.

I do WAY too much cutting on wet and/or windy days, as that's how it fits in my work. My main business is spraying weeds, so any weather when I cant spray I try and hunt other jobs. Tends to be weather when you want to get the job done and get the hell out of there. Figure this saw will fit with that theory.

Back a long time ago I obtained a permit to carry in a New England state I won't mention. I decided on a S&W model 27. It was a huge revolver chambered in .41 Mag. Being young and impressionable I soon found myself visiting places I would have never ventured to if I didn't have that cannon strapped to my waist. Mix that with drinking and it was a disaster waiting to happen. Luckily, I got rid of the gun and didnt get one to replace it. Sure enough, I quit visiting places where I didn't need to be.

Be careful where that big ported saw lures you to attempt things you would normally leave alone. Certain words like leaner, wet, and windy tend to indicate you aren't hard to lure towards trouble.

Enjoy your saw.

Be safe.

Fair enough - I'll take the advice in the manner I'd like to think it was intended.

I'm talking about work, today is a good day to go home safe to dinner with your family.

Back a long time ago I obtained a permit to carry in a New England state I won't mention. I decided on a S&W model 27. It was a huge revolver chambered in .41 Mag. Being young and impressionable I soon found myself visiting places I would have never ventured to if I didn't have that cannon strapped to my waist. Mix that with drinking and it was a disaster waiting to happen. Luckily, I got rid of the gun and didnt get one to replace it. Sure enough, I quit visiting places where I didn't need to be.

Be careful where that big ported saw lures you to attempt things you would normally leave alone. Certain words like leaner, wet, and windy tend to indicate you aren't hard to lure towards trouble.

Enjoy your saw.

Be safe.

The S&W M27 was/is chambered for .357 magnum. If you had a S&W chambered for .41 mag, it was a model 57. :rock:

good choice bro. i think the 385 will make you grin. especially since it came from terry. congrats on the new saw and first one thats ported. that 345 you've got there can be changed over to a 346xp topend and it really wakes it up. with a mild port and muffler mod its a beast.

loco

The S&W M27 was/is chambered for .357 magnum. If you had a S&W chambered for .41 mag, it was a model 57. :rock:

I'd love me a 3.5" S&W Model 27 revolver.

2438196IMG1130pi2a.jpg

Back