Downsides to ported saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If all "ported saws" were created equal, then the only downside is sending it off and spending a few Benjamins.
However, the end user is the real pitfall,

Poor chain/raker maintenance

Lack of tuning skills

Fuel/oil by end user

The list goes on, some folks cam break an anvil in a box of sand.

The closer you "port/tune" a saw to the edge the more likely an inexperienced end user will fry it.

Can't count the times I've been cutting with fellas that had superior saws that wouldn't cut fer **** because they had no idea how to maintain a chain, nor any idea their chain was dull.

But "some folks have more money than common sense" eh?

I would at best, consider myself a novice at porting. I've read lots, been shown by some very accomplished bike builders, and done enough on bikes, but I am still very reserved in my own port jobs. In saying that, even with my own modest port jobs, there is a very noticeable difference in how the saw works after porting. I mostly just finish the job the factory didn't. I clean up casting marks, smooth out all the pits and bumps, and clean up or even up transition areas. I finished the last one off by lining up the carb, boot, and cylinder intake along with doing a muffler mod. I'm sure it doesn't rip as well as one done by some of the sponsors on this site, but it has made a real difference in power and torque.
I would really love to get one done by a pro.

I would at best, consider myself a novice at porting. I've read lots, been shown by some very accomplished bike builders, and done enough on bikes, but I am still very reserved in my own port jobs. In saying that, even with my own modest port jobs, there is a very noticeable difference in how the saw works after porting. I mostly just finish the job the factory didn't. I clean up casting marks, smooth out all the pits and bumps, and clean up or even up transition areas. I finished the last one off by lining up the carb, boot, and cylinder intake along with doing a muffler mod. I'm sure it doesn't rip as well as one done by some of the sponsors on this site, but it has made a real difference in power and torque.

Look up just above your post and you will find the master pro, Mastermind.

A quick call to Tennessee, and you'd have one...
It's only money...

But shipping is far too expensive from Cownuckistan to Tennasaw and back. Maybe MM should just tell him what to do instead...

Wouldn't do any good... I been told # after #...
Blowdown this, duration that...intake #'s and transfer #'s...
Psshhh.... Just make me a damn saw I can run a good chain on and I'm happy...

Wouldn't do any good... I been told # after #...
Blowdown this, duration that...intake #'s and transfer #'s...
Psshhh.... Just make me a damn saw I can run a good chain on and I'm happy...

You've got a fun to run ugly old 372 ain't ya?

Give them a little love and show them you care and they'll do anything you ask and more.

And as for women? You're on your own there:cheers:

Mastermind Ported Saw in Pine

Got a chance to run my ported 371 XT in a beetle infested dead 24" pine tree today. Screwed up and didn't take any pictures till the whole mess was on fire in the fire pit. I had never run a ported saw in pine. The softest wood I normally cut is Maple. I was amazed at how good a sharpener I am with the right wood.:msp_wink:

Got a chance to run my ported 371 XT in a beetle infested dead 24" pine tree today. Screwed up and didn't take any pictures till the whole mess was on fire in the fire pit. I had never run a ported saw in pine. The softest wood I normally cut is Maple. I was amazed at how good a sharpener I am with the right wood.:msp_wink:

I cut a fair amount of poplar every year for fall burning and a few guys that use them for their barn floors. Many of them are quite large but they are so soft that I can get away with running a 36inch bar on my 570. I tried it in two 36inch+ maple this year but I was not impressed. That saw is just not strong enough for that. It cut it, but my 254xp was quicker with a 16inch bar.
I know it doesn't have a big following, but every time I use it, I wonder how the 570 would handle if it were woods ported. I took it on trade for a bike a few years ago, thinking it would be great for the oversize maple, but it doesn't make me say wow.

A 570 is a nice torquey saw but very similar to a 365. Need moar cubes for big bars :D

A 570 is a nice torquey saw but very similar to a 365. Need moar cubes for big bars :D

5 cube minimum... Even some of those don't oil enough...
If I'm running a 36er, I want the Exxon Valdez pulling it...
Just sayin...

Back