Downsizing, looking for a long term reliability saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best choice for long term reliability

• 372xp

• 390xp

• makita / dolmar 7910

• ms462

• ms661

• ms500i R !!!!!

• 572xp

• Keep maintaining your fleet, even new saws have problems you dreamer

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

KerfWatcher

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Long time searcher and reader, first time poster. I have transitioned more into using saws for problem solving than 'enjoying' working on them and lite collecting. Looking to upgrade / downsize / modernize my fleet into ideally 2 saws, one of which being the Echo CS 2511t. Goal here is to 'cry once' and end up with a saw that I can have for the next 10-20 years (with proper care of course) and not have to worry about or constantly work on. All so far have been purchased used and while run good, some just look well, well used (faded, scratches, etc). I like tools and for me it's nice to look at and use nice equipment and not have to worry about something that may break in the near future. I take care of my stuff and want to treat myself to a saw that I know the history on 100% to hopefully get years of trouble free use.

Current Stable
Husky 372xp 'older', full wrap handle, 24" bar, large dogs....my stump cutter and large bucker / noodler.
Husky 372xp modern, 20" bar, stock handle and dogs, looks horrible, runs great, awesome power, usually my go to for clean work.
Husky 359, 20" bar for 'dirty work', cutting roots, nasty stumps, bushes, brush. Better handling than the 372, but don't have the stump cutting power.
Stihl MS361, 25" bar, all around-er, but mostly de-limber. Great reach for my height to not bend over when limbing or cutting up ~3-6" diameter logs on the ground, poor balance with that bar otherwise though - might keep
Stihl 026, 18" .325, classic, great condition, backup, smaller stuff - will probably keep
Stihl 019t, top handle, yes it gets used on the ground, really like the diagonal handle not found on most top handle saws hence the 2511t 'replacement'.
Stiihl 009, precision and carving attempt.
Olympic 264F(?), with sandvik 20" 60cc, cool factor - will keep
Stihl Kombi pole saw system - extremely useful
Ryobi expand it pole saw (bought new, needed it now, works good) for some toro power heads

I am wanting to replace the first 3-4 listed above with a 24-28" bar saw. Key factors are reliability, longevity, warranty, known history, and overall usefulness (nimbleness balanced with speed and power).

Currently looking at the following for the big saw.
Husky 572 / 372 with a 24-28" bar
Makita 79X0 with a 28" bar
Stihl MS462 or maybe a 661
Stihl MS500i R?

There is one local place that sells and services the Makita, trying to get my hands on one soon.
Two Husky dealers
One Echo actual dealer
Lots of Stihl dealers

Use: Average one weekend a month 'home owner/farm' cutting while helping out friends as need be. High speed of cutting in the 2-6" diameter range is a priority, up to ~20" diameter in one pass.

Thanks for reading this.

My ms290 was bought in 2012, so 9th year of steady use to cut 8 or more cords a year. I recently did a compression check and is nearly 150psi, same as it was a couple of years ago. Stihl! I have 3 of them, and it feels like I will never have to buy another saw.

Not sure why you wouldn't keep the 372s you already have

While they both work fine, they were purchased used. The older style one is not abused, but quite faded. The newer style one seems to have led a rough life externally but runs great. I just feel that I am on borrowed time per say and would like a NEW, 100% history known saw that I don't have to worry about for the long term.

Since I'm old school, I'd stay away from the MS462 M-tronic although I'm sure people are having good luck with them. Even though the wizardry of fuel injection is cool, it only matters if parts will be available on this first version which is why I worry about the 500i in the long term. That and, how can it be tuned/re-tuned for anythign aftermarket or mods - this is just like the tuner car world. If the OEM locks it all down or even if industry pops up (like Cobb for the tuner car world) then you are beholden to their racket forever potentially.

Anyways, I vote MS461...

If you like the 372s that you have, I'd go with that. Bob from Ashokan turf and timber just reported on 0PE that the 372 is not going to be discontinued. That should mean that parts will continue to be available for a long time to come. It might be worth trying a 572 though. People who have them so far seem to be loving them.

Personally I'd take a new 372 (or 365) and I'd keep at least one of your current 372s. Run the current one until you have a failure and keep it around for parts. I love having multiples of the same saw for the purpose of parts inventory and for swapping parts to track down issues.

I'm going to suggest:
Get somebody who knows what they are doing, to:
Rebuild your saws. Do minor port job. And exhaust, and maybe timing. Get about 10% more power, and improve throttle response. Get new bars, chains, fix oilers. Basicly, leave em a little ugly, but make them funner.
Just my thoughts.
N

While they both work fine, they were purchased used. The older style one is not abused, but quite faded. The newer style one seems to have led a rough life externally but runs great. I just feel that I am on borrowed time per say and would like a NEW, 100% history known saw that I don't have to worry about for the long term.
They are reintroducing the 372xt soon.
I have no experience with the 500i 572 or 462
They are well liked by the west coast professional fallers I talked too.
The 500i is a gas hog but they like them.
462 is also very well thought of.
I'm not a stihl guy but I almost bought a carbed 462 from the greek guy.
One new saw to do it all I'd to each his own preference.
Personally my ported 266/268/272/372s
Will last me a lifetime
If needed I would buy a new 372xt and have it ported.

I love my 661!!!
55+ gallons later it's just getting better every time:)
Tons of power!!!
Puts a massive smile on my face, zero issues yet. How it holds up vs. carb saws, well time will tell.
I certainly don't plan to drop it from my lineup, it's by far and away my most used & loved saw I own.
462, I have maybe 10 hrs on it, so can't comment on durability. Light, nimble, not my favorite. I still choose the 661 if given a choice, no matter the task.
Excellent saw.
Makita 7910; really robust design. Heavy for the power. Plenty of power, good oiler. Low hours on mine, so durability is just an educated guess. but, judging from build quality compared to others I expect a very long life span of good cutting.
Husky 372; mine have a long unknown history & have been pretty much entirely trouble free so far after fixing the issues they had when I bought them used.

Out of what you have listed as options I only have experience with the 462 CM R, and 500i R. Either of them will pull 28” no problem. I honestly don’t have any real concerns about the longevity of either. I think both will last a long time if basic maint is followed, and they eat good fuel. 661 is a great saw, but it’s heavier than the other two. If you’d said I want to run a 36”, I’d probably have said flip a coin between the 500 and 661.

I was on the two saw plan, and ended up with 3. * shrug

50C0B168-7D58-47AD-8D35-8EAE046F7EEB.jpeg

Thanks for the input everyone. At this point I think I am pretty well settled on the 500i, to purchase next spring. If I am going electronic in a saw, might as well go all in with fuel injection? Hoping for more power than the 372 (stock) with better handling/size/weight as it can get tiring to flip around at times. The 500s are currently hard to find in my area now (as are most pro saws) and maybe the price will go down slightly by then? I also want to hear some more field reports of use for the 500 and handle one in person before purchase.

I hope to get hands on the makita this week, but from what I have heard initially there isn't that much of a price difference between the 500i and the makita, nor any of the other saws listed / mentioned. Majority of the poll results go to the makita interestingly enough.

I ran 2 gallons through my ugly duckling 372 with 20" bar this weekend cutting up anywhere from 2"-25" and it didn't miss a beat. Though it would be nice to noodle faster at times than the 372 really wanted over ~18".

Also ordered a 16" bar for the 361 to try and get better handling out of it, might start by thinning out with one 372 ugly and the handy 359. Or just keep them all. ;)

Since I'm old school, I'd stay away from the MS462 M-tronic although I'm sure people are having good luck with them. Even though the wizardry of fuel injection is cool, it only matters if parts will be available on this first version which is why I worry about the 500i in the long term. That and, how can it be tuned/re-tuned for anythign aftermarket or mods - this is just like the tuner car world. If the OEM locks it all down or even if industry pops up (like Cobb for the tuner car world) then you are beholden to their racket forever potentially.

Anyways, I vote MS461...

The 462 comes in carb version also...

Latest posts

Back