DR 15 ton dual action splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwinch53

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello all...Last week I bought a dr dual action splitter....it works and splits rather well...the only thing I would like to change is the height of the log cradle...it is 24 inches...I would like it to be 29 to 30...this would be easier on my back...I did build ramps at 3", that helped a lot...I would like to raise it more permanent...I do have a few ideas but looking for some suggestions...Lets hear it...thanks and have a good day:)ATTACH=CONFIG]257093[/ATTACH]View attachment 257094

Last edited:
Cut a couple big rounds and park the tires on them or bigger wheels and tires but those dont bolt to hubs so that might be dif.:msp_biggrin:

Yep, good idea, I am just looking for something more permanent...like some fabricating, keep em coming...thanks for your reply

Got any pictures of the Deere? Looks like flotation trencher tires on the back? Is it a mower too? :msp_biggrin:

Cut off the axle and weld spacers in (Good) or cut axle and weld in one that would except larger tires(Better).

Got any pictures of the Deere? Looks like flotation trencher tires on the back? Is it a mower too? :msp_biggrin:

It is a 1973 JD140 H-1 ...ag tires filled with molasses and beet juice...it is the heavest fluid with the best freeze point and if you get a leak it won't hurt the cattle...what is your sugg for the dr splitter?

Yep, good idea, I am just looking for something more permanent...like some fabricating, keep em coming...thanks for your reply

If you have room(can't tell from the pic)just buy 3 tongue jacks,mount 2 on the rear axels by the tires and one on the front.Looks like you may already have one on the front.You can then adjust it where you want and level it on un-level surfaces.

Couple years ago I saw a splitter that had a 4" lift kit on it. The owner said it was just too low for him to use. He had some sleeves built that would slip over the existing axles, with brackets welded to the sleeve that relocated the new axles 4" lower. This made the beam night 4" higher. He said it was an easy fix, and if he ever sold it he could unbolt the lift kit, and put it back to the original hight. It worked for him.

Couple years ago I saw a splitter that had a 4" lift kit on it. The owner said it was just too low for him to use. He had some sleeves built that would slip over the existing axles, with brackets welded to the sleeve that relocated the new axles 4" lower. This made the beam night 4" higher. He said it was an easy fix, and if he ever sold it he could unbolt the lift kit, and put it back to the original hight. It worked for him.

Yes this sounds good also...nice idea to be able to put the splitter back to stock...I have spindles and am wondering how a person would bolt or fasten the sleeve to the spindle...thanks for the suggestions to all

Cut or grind the original spindles off then weld on new ones. Either space the new ones lower or use ones with a 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern then wheel size choices range from 8" to 15" then enjoy.:msp_biggrin:

Latest posts

Back