Dr. Kims Lecture

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xtremetrees

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Ahh last week was informative. I attended the Georgia Arborist Assoc. meeting where the guest speaker was Dr. Kim.
I had met Dr. kim 12 years earlier unbeknogst to me. His lecture had changed quiet a bit.

I wish I had a handout of his pruning cycle.
Every 2 years for a 25% reduction
Then every 5 years. (Sapwood exposure only)

I tell a client you have a co-dominate stem and we cant reduce it all at one so were gonna have to charge you 3 times for comming out over 5 years.
How am I gonna get people to pay for this. while the remaining pushes growth into the central leader its gonna be ratty looking tree until the cycle is complete on top of it all
I have to say it does seem more is being asked of me from the C.A. thinggy.

I agree that we do prune the young trees to much, and now we have to lengthen the time of pruning out to 5 years. wow! I agree with this approach.

As a C.A. it seems I'm becomming a managerial objective.?

How much light can a limb grab before it becomes paracitic on the roots?

Out of all co-dominate trees 1 of the branches is paracitic? Wow I agree. As well as there is no branch collar on co-dominate stems I didnt know that.
Great lecture money well spent. My hats off to GAA to arranging this most insightful and sought after Lecturer.

He also stated that we as tree pratictioners need to keep in mind were farming light, creating light nets. I wish I knew this years ago for I had kinda had it in mind while pruning and deciding which limbs to take/leave.Some times I may bail out of the tree and get a different perspective often times I'll bang the side of my head in hope of getting it right.. Now i know that less is better.

Last edited:
The presentation was good.

Leaves are food factories. How many can you shut down/remove, before you start a starvation cycle in a sub-branch, major order branch, trunk or whole tree.

For a lot more information get, and read, Gilman's Pruning book. You'll understand subordination a lot better.

I had no problem selling subordination work to clients. They value their trees and want to do the best for them. Even if people had a low budget for tree work I could spend their money efficiently.

Learn how to be a sales person and you'll make more money.

Latest posts

Back