DR Rapid Fire Rack & Pinion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MNGuns

DR has every right to build and sell whatever they choose. I'm sure that their model differs by more than just the paint color. They make their products in America, and they make very high quality products. DR/CHP is one of the last companies to manufacture in the USA, as well as offer the technical support and warranty that they do. Stop dogging on the way they do business. If you don't like it don't buy DR. I'm sure they won't miss you. As for them copying the SS design; if it ain't broke don't fix it. What's to say that they won't release a 2nd generation rack and pinion splitter that addresses all the weak points of the SS?

In the mean time you have plenty of good ideas you offered earlier in the thread. Why not go out back to your work shop and get started on your on design?

As for DR-They've got my vote and as soon as I need a new splitter I'm gonna look long and hard at their product.

MNGuns

DR has every right to build and sell whatever they choose. I'm sure that their model differs by more than just the paint color. They make their products in America, and they make very high quality products. DR/CHP is one of the last companies to manufacture in the USA, as well as offer the technical support and warranty that they do. Stop dogging on the way they do business. If you don't like it don't buy DR. I'm sure they won't miss you. As for them copying the SS design; if it ain't broke don't fix it. What's to say that they won't release a 2nd generation rack and pinion splitter that addresses all the weak points of the SS?

In the mean time you have plenty of good ideas you offered earlier in the thread. Why not go out back to your work shop and get started on your on design?

As for DR-They've got my vote and as soon as I need a new splitter I'm gonna look long and hard at their product.

I have no axe to grind with either company. They both build great products across the board. Paul did it first and others are now chasing him. MN, you want to see a clearly different entry out of DR. I salute and applaud your integrity, loyalty and individualism. I believe that there are still several differences between the two and that's what counts. Outside of drive-train layouts and cheap superficial details, how truly different are most cars from one another now? I submit that there is a tangible and quantifiable difference in the driving experiences between a Chevy Malibu and a BMW 535I, even though both vehicle are V6 powered, 4-door sedans. You can only re-invent something so-much before it no longer works for the intended task, (at least the way for which it was desired to). Let's see in 10 years who's still in business (and selling what models, a major financial collapse not-withstanding). Time will tell which designs/ideas were good and manufactured to a high enough standard for the task.

The patents expired in July. Of 1997.

They've had small-shop competitors who've gone after them on price for a long time -- Wood Wolf, the Canadian copy cats, the Amish dude in Ohio.
Wow, I had no idea patent protection had been off for that long. Thanks. It begs the question why DR and their ilk weren't on the scene earlier. Perhaps they just weren't aware of the design (maybe that is why we don't see SS engaging the market like DR do - they were trying to fly under the radar), or DR wanted to come up with something they thought could better the SS that was worth patenting for a little protection, or maybe they thought the market just wasn't big enough to justify them chasing? Perhaps DR POWER will answer that for us?

How busy are the lower priced copycats and what is the build quality of their machines like? Does anyone know?

Regarding your DR rising tide comment, I agree that will happen, but the fact it may brings me back to one of my questions earlier - why did SS leave those sales on the table like that for a competitor taking a similar high-quality/price position? What am I missing?

Paul did it first and others are now chasing him.

Did he, or did he just buy the rights?
Patent protection lapsed over 10 years ago, apparently, so I'd say they've had a bonus run over and above the patent period and are actually pretty darn lucky nobody has taken them head-to-head like DR are doing now.

Also, your comment about others chasing him is interesting. What has SS done to mitigate the loss of patent protection? Did they create new advancements and patent those? Did they address the myriad issues people have raised in this thread to better their product?

What will be interesting is if anyone can retain the good things about the SS design and address the issues many have raised in here, to come out with a product/price mix that's more compelling than SS's offerings. That is, after all, one of the prime benefits competition brings to consumers.

buy one yet?????

Any body buy one yet???????:msp_confused::msp_confused::msp_confused:

Did he, or did he just buy the rights?
Patent protection lapsed over 10 years ago, apparently, so I'd say they've had a bonus run over and above the patent period and are actually pretty darn lucky nobody has taken them head-to-head like DR are doing now.

Also, your comment about others chasing him is interesting. What has SS done to mitigate the loss of patent protection? Did they create new advancements and patent those? Did they address the myriad issues people have raised in this thread to better their product?

What will be interesting is if anyone can retain the good things about the SS design and address the issues many have raised in here, to come out with a product/price mix that's more compelling than SS's offerings. That is, after all, one of the prime benefits competition brings to consumers.
Paul bought the business from the inventor, his father or father-in-law, can't remember which. He has made small changes over the years and a better machine it is.

As far as the issues many have raised here about the SS (most have never used one). I have no issues with mine. The main issue, it is not highway tow-able, so what. It's not made to go down the highway. :)

If I could change something, it'd be only one thing, adding a tow bar to pull around with a tractor or ATV. Aside from that, the machine is perfect. Why mess with perfection?

I just have one question for DR Power; taking all of these suggestions for improvements into consideration, what would be a realistic date to expect a 2nd generation DR Kinetic splitter to hit the market. I am very intriqued by these splitters and am considering purchasing one, but after hearing all the proposed improvements in this thread, I am not sure now is a good time to purchase! :msp_confused:

DR POWER~ Any estimation/guess on when a 2nd generation would be available?

I would have a hard time spending that much money on a splitter that doesn't, as far as I can see, operate vertically. I do all my splitting vertical, as I refuse to lift huge chunks when I can just shimmy them around on the ground....

Todd

I would have a hard time spending that much money on a splitter that doesn't, as far as I can see, operate vertically. I do all my splitting vertical, as I refuse to lift huge chunks when I can just shimmy them around on the ground....

Todd

If you are shimmy'n big rounds, I would have to guess you are not a commercial processor. This machine perhaps is not best suited for you.

From the latest CRD Metal

Can't edit the title, was supposed to read:

From the latest CRD Metal Works (the woodbine people) mailer:

"We will be spending the fourth quarter engineering a product no one else in the firewood market has ever experienced. Although we can't elaborate at the current time, be prepared for a entry-level product that will be a game changer in the firewood business for years to come."

A flywheel splitter with a difference, perhaps?

Last edited:

"We will be spending the fourth quarter engineering a product no one else in the firewood market has ever experienced. Although we can't elaborate at the current time, be prepared for a entry-level product that will be a game changer in the firewood business for years to come."

It's a SS painted purple...:msp_thumbup:

j/k

I look forward to seeing what they have to offer. The process is not difficult, but there are many ways to get to the finished product.

Lasers man, friggin' lasers!!! :rock:

Lasers man, friggin' lasers!!! :rock:

Dalmatian90 is way ahead of them then with a previous post in another thread:

"Squirrels with freakin' laser beams.

Prototype A:
tumblr_liztf9gXHZ1qarjnpo1_500.jpg

Prototype B:
JediSquirrels.jpg
"

Well, I wasn't supposed to say anything because I'm bound by non-disclosure agreements but I'm sure you guys can keep a secret. I've been working on the next-gen splitters on contract to CRD. Progress has been slow going on account of not having squirrels in New Zealand and the possum substitutes are slow and drink way too much beer, but I'm both pleased and proud to advise we've perfected the esquilo loco model and it will be released shortly. That's all I'm prepared to mention at thyis point, but stay tuned. These next-gen bio splitters will blow you away, no doubt about it.

**edit** I don't know if there are some equally fun loving criminals on this board or not but to those who have PM'ed me asking if they should hold off their buying decisions until the esquilo loco model is released, can I just point out a few things. Firstly, my post above is a joke. Secondly, if you guys noticed it as such but PM'ed me anyway, I love your sense of humour - keep up the good work.

:rock:

Last edited:
Yes thats true, but it is made in China . If that matters to you. I like USA

Speedco has come out with there own rack and pinion splitter.There on TSC web page.!!!WHOA!$ and its towable!!!!!$1699.:blob2::blob2::blob2::blob2::blob2::blob2:

Yes thats true, but it is made in China . If that matters to you. I like USA

It does matter but , $1000 does matter too!! Its towable which is what I need.Yes I rather buy USA and We do most times(if possible) but except this splitter.Unless DR or SS comes out with something thats tow able, iam interested in the TSC one.

Pete

I wonder how big/heavy the flywheels would need to be to drive through a star or honeycomb wedge.
Use the same 'don't mess with us' flywheels to drive a guillotine (or circular blade) and I can see the EPA wetting themselves in anticipation of a mega-production processor that needs just a fifth of the condensed dinosaurs required by current processors.

Back