DR VS Super Split

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood Splitter

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Has anyone on here used both before? Are they basically the exact same thing? Becuase DR's is cheaper priced, im thinking probably because they can mass produce them so selling them at a cheaper cost the Super Split is possible. What you guys think....Thanks

About this time last year I was looking at both and did not find a whole lot of price difference between them.. maybe a couple hundred $$. I wanted the electric motor, and the fact that the SS has years of use behind the design, the decision was really a no brainer... SS all the way.

I have not regretted the decision.

I have the DR, never used a super split, only seem a demonstration in person. DR copied the Super Split design pretty much. But I will say, I have not read about Super Splits having problems; but I know my Rapid Fire had its share of them.

About this time last year I was looking at both and did not find a whole lot of price difference between them.. maybe a couple hundred $$. I wanted the electric motor, and the fact that the SS has years of use behind the design, the decision was really a no brainer... SS all the way.

I have not regretted the decision.

How well does that electric motor do in a splitter application?

I believe the SS basic J model is comparable the the DR Pro, so unless one is lookin at the cheaper, smaller DR, the price is pretty close. In the long run the Super Split will be cheaper, as they are bullet proof and very long lasting...

After over 2 years with my SS, I'd buy another right now if needed. No way I'd buy any other splitter! :msp_smile:

How well does that electric motor do in a splitter application?

I have not done a side by side comparison (electric vs gas) but from descriptions here I suspect the gas motor does slightly better. That said I am completely happy with the electric version, it splits 98% of what I cut, quietly and in my heated garage. I've been splitting all types of elm, ash, boxelder, mulberry, black locust and oak with the elms being 80% of the mix. I find the SS splits easier when the rounds are green. I don't advise to leave rounds to partially season, especially elm. It does fine on standing dead. If all you split is large american elm crotches- a kinetic splitter is not for you.

FWIW, I work with some guys who put a lot of time on these splitters. The DR fella told me he has had the beam with the wedge replaced 3 times in less than a year - I had asked him about his current wedge that was wavey which is what brought on the discussion. The same day, I overheard the maintenance guy say that the pair of SSs used had their own share of problems but they were not wedge related. When I asked about them, he told me that these splitters see far more use in a matter of months than most splitters will see in a typical owner's lifetime. Due to some issues, wood to be split is now being sorted between wood for flywheel splitters and wood for hydraulic splitters. Ron

Buy the mechanical splitter you will not be sorry!!Its money in the bank!:rock::rock:

there is a sticky about the dr rapidfire. after 3 days worth of reading, it came to being about the same. dr has great customer service and they stand behind their product, also you can return it for a full refund within a year and it comes with a 3 yr warranty. The SS does not offer that but they have a good reputation and are known for making well built splitters. Small company and you can talk to Paul the owner directly.

Back