Dremel sharpener?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbelly

Mouth breather
Reaction score
Has anyone or does anyone use a dremel chain saw sharpener? I have ALWAYS hand filed my chains with good results. Now I know there is no substitute for a real chainsaw shop "hand me that chain, you big dummy, I'll do it right for ya" type of sharpening. But I discovered I have the chainsaw attachment with my dremel. I never used it, looks like all parts are there including the proper grinders and the set up instructions. I have a few old chains to try it on, but am wondering if anyone uses it on a regular basis, and is it worth it?

I use a dremmel on chains that are really bad to even the them out, but i still need to use a hand file to sharpen them cause the dremmel does't quite put a nice edge on them.

I've used a Dremel and had some success but find it is too fast and after a couple of times the cutters start to uneven, so I went to hand filing and do that every other tankful, but those seem to come out a little uneven also so I am looking at something else.

If I have a chain that hit rock or other debris and is in very bad shape, I start w/ the dremel BUT I always finish up w/ a hand file. Like mentioned above, I can't get a crisp perfect edge with it.

Bert, If I had the money I would definitely have a Timberline!

I use an old 70's vintage craftsman hand grinder that is very similar to a dremel. does great on really bad chains but you still need to give them a few passes with a file to make them right

The Dremels with ball bearings are durable units but their saw chain attachment is inferior to those guides (like on the Oregon 12-Volt grinder) that rest on both the tooth and the depth gauge. The stock abrasive stones quickly lose their original size and shape, and they generate way too much heat when run at full RPM. I used Dremels with modified guides and carbide bits for carbide chains before I got diamond wheels for my bench grinder. I still keep Dremels (one for each tooth size) handy when I am filing for when I encounter the occasional tooth that was burned and hardened on someone's grinder. The Dremel variable speed control is the first thing to wear out. I run mine at half or 2/3 throttle and tape the knob down. For on/off switching I use a foot-activated switch. This lets me use both hands for better alignment control during the grinding. By finishing the grind with a feather touch it is possible to get a razor-sharp edge on the tooth. Electric powered hand or bench grinders can be great work savers, but they make it way too easy to ruin chains when not used properly.

I've never tried a dremel, but I won a timberline sharpener in a raffle here. I used it several times and it does a good job, but I still usually just reach for a file. I can have the chain sharpened in the time it takes to set up the timberline, but it's handy for the nasty looking ones.

I've got a 511 grinder under the bench collecting dust too.:msp_sad:

I use mine just for lowering rakers.

I like that I can round the rakers easily with it.

Has anyone or does anyone use a dremel chain saw sharpener? I have ALWAYS hand filed my chains with good results. Now I know there is no substitute for a real chainsaw shop "hand me that chain, you big dummy, I'll do it right for ya" type of sharpening. But I discovered I have the chainsaw attachment with my dremel. I never used it, looks like all parts are there including the proper grinders and the set up instructions. I have a few old chains to try it on, but am wondering if anyone uses it on a regular basis, and is it worth it?

I like the dremel. Just like a hand file there is a learning curve, and at first I would cook the steel, make uneven teeth and make chains that "pulled" to one side. With practice I learned that you need a very light touch, avoid full speed, and to only sharpen the teeth from the direction the rotating stone is pulled into the groove (hard to explain, but obvious when doing it). I like it because now I can make a pretty sharp chain very, very quickly, and it's easy to keep the raker's profile. Is it as good as a careful hand file? No. If I were racing would I use it? No. I can easily tell a difference between the dremel vs hand filing on the first cut of the day, but after four or five cuts, the I cannot tell a difference between a really good sharpening and a pretty good sharpening. To be fair, compared to the real pros, I have probably never, ever done a "really good sharpening" job!

Worst mistake I made it a while was giving my guys a dremel to sharpen during the day. They ruined more chains and created more problems than they solved. Hand sharpening is the way to go, if they are real bad then they get the grinder.

chain saw shop are not all at the top of the sharpeneing game. alot ive seen will do an ok to worse than i can do job.keep leaning to sharpen yourself. i dremel works just pay attention to what you are doing.its real easy to get lazy .

Latest posts

Back