Dremel Tool for Sharpening?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dremel tool with the diamond bits,,they dont change size like a stone and DONT get the tooth hot. i freehand with it as it's SO easy,no running off like pushing a 8inch file by hand.. can almost touch up a chain as fast as i can spin it.. light pressure on low speed and ZING,on to the next one..do a chain probly 3x as fast as a file and just as sharp,,diamonds do tend to sharpen stuff well.also they dont take off neer as much as a stone..
i have a grinder,only use it for chains off the bar,for ON the bar the dremmel/diamond bit does it for me.
you gotta TRY one to believe..

No, but I may try it on seriously rocked out chain.

I think it is a bad idea for normal sharpening - at least run it at low speed.....

+1 on that. i do use the dremmel on "trash" chains cause there ain't much to loose on one that has hit rocks,nails, fence wire and so on. good chains get the file.

My brother uses a Dremel. Me? An Oregon file guide, Save Edge files, and a stump vise. We've never compared chains though.

I've used both plenty, and find the file is better and usually faster, if the chain is really bad, the dremel might win, but most times I think the file does a better job faster. The dremel is a little less work, like if it's really hot out and I'm already all sweaty, I might us a dremel for a little while, but I usually don't cut if it's hot outside. I like to sharpen often, usually 2 strokes w a good file does the trick.

Dremel tool with the diamond bits,,they dont change size like a stone and DONT get the tooth hot. i freehand with it as it's SO easy,no running off like pushing a 8inch file by hand.. can almost touch up a chain as fast as i can spin it.. light pressure on low speed and ZING,on to the next one..do a chain probly 3x as fast as a file and just as sharp,,diamonds do tend to sharpen stuff well.also they dont take off neer as much as a stone..
i have a grinder,only use it for chains off the bar,for ON the bar the dremmel/diamond bit does it for me.
you gotta TRY one to believe..

The Dremel stones with embedded diamond bits indeed do sharpen chains much faster and better than the carborundum stones. The diamond bits are not available in my area any more.

I went back to sharpening my chains with round files mainly because our local stores, including Wal-Mart, discontinued the diamond bits in favor of carborundum stones. BTW, I recall the diamond bits are/were about the same price as the softer carborundum stones.

Last edited:
I've used both plenty, and find the file is better and usually faster, if the chain is really bad, the dremel might win, but most times I think the file does a better job faster. The dremel is a little less work, like if it's really hot out and I'm already all sweaty, I might us a dremel for a little while, but I usually don't cut if it's hot outside. I like to sharpen often, usually 2 strokes w a good file does the trick.

Bring a saw over with your file and i'll take the dremell with a diamond bit and i'll sharpen two chains to every one you can do..the time it takes to stick the file in and push that 8 inches two times i can hit three cutters..when i'm working with somebody i have them with a glove on turn the chain for me..
like i said before,if you havent tried a diamond bit in a dremmel,,you havent experianced the best..NOTHING sharpens like a diamond..
i have used files since 1964 and just 6 months ago got the diamond bits,,then a grinder,i'm BACK to the diamond bits..thats 36 years sharpening with a file..
6 months with diamond in a dremmel,,2 months with a grinder...
if you have ANY hand/eye coordination you will never pick up a file again.

Bring a saw over with your file and i'll take the dremell with a diamond bit and i'll sharpen two chains to every one you can do..the time it takes to stick the file in and push that 8 inches two times i can hit three cutters..when i'm working with somebody i have them with a glove on turn the chain for me..
like i said before,if you havent tried a diamond bit in a dremmel,,you havent experianced the best..NOTHING sharpens like a diamond..
i have used files since 1964 and just 6 months ago got the diamond bits,,then a grinder,i'm BACK to the diamond bits..thats 36 years sharpening with a file..
6 months with diamond in a dremmel,,2 months with a grinder...
if you have ANY hand/eye coordination you will never pick up a file again.

Yup!!!! Diamond bits (mounted on a Dremel tool) are the cat's meow!

Latest posts

Back