Drink water out there! or wind up like me

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made sure to flush the hose out before drinking water. The reason I had to use the hose was because he was not home. +2 on drinking till u pee. I try to keep well hydrated but sometimes you lose track of time.....

Worked in the 90* shop during the day yesterday then went home and worked on my 2101XP a bit. It has been extremely hot and humid here. I drank water yesterday but not enough. Long story short I was on my way to work this morning and got so dizzy and light headed I had to pull the truck over. Wound up admitting myself in the ER and getting an IV and bloodwork. NOT FUN. I had a case of moderate dehydration and 10 hours later Im still hurting. All my muscles ache especially my back and head. I wouldnt run a saw in weather like this anyway for the saws sake and mine. But I know lots of guys here work outside or in shops like me. DRINK DRINK DRINK. I feel like I got hit by a truck.

The catalytic converters in my suv and my wifes suv can heat up my garage to the 90's really quick. It kills me too not mess around the my shop/garage. But I wait for the late evening for it to cool off or make the wife park outside so I can play with all my toys.

Anyways, feel better!

Mike

Last edited:
What i do also is get some salt and a v8 vegatable juice. Pour a bunch o salt in the v8 shake it up and drink it. Then flush it down with water.

Careful there! V8 has a ton of salt to begin with! I love the stuff and when I was a kid. I added more salt to V8, but not anymore!

They have lowered the sodium content down to 420mg per 8 oz. That still is high. Considering I can drink a 32 oz. bottle for breakfast!

When working out in the heat, the body does need salt and potassium. But not at those high levels!

Mike

A few weeks ago I helped a buddy in the heat and started feeling like crap. I texted the wife and when I got home she hooked me up with an IV. If I get real hot I can't drink enough so this really helps me.

Stay Cool Joe

Good to hear you are recovering.Heat can be a real bugger.You should drink 6-8 glasses of water a day,and that's normal temperatures.Like others have mentioned if your not peeing there's a problem.When your urine is real ,real yellow that's a pretty good indicator that your dehydrated.Fruit juice cut with water is also good.You don't want to get into heat exhaustion and heat stroke,bad news indeed
Lawrence

My pee is %50 Miller Lite.....
so you think your improving the quality?

As a former long distance runner from the hot and humid south.....drink water before you need it. Always try to hydrate 15-20 minutes before you start and continue to drink fluids. I used to run 70-80 miles a week in summer without any issues. If you are not peeing, you are not drinking enough.

I grew up in the south, the only place I have hydration problems is on my first trip to Wyoming. I cue on the dripping sweat to drink, 7000 feet elevation and like 1% humidity, I never broke a sweat until the fatigue and headaches hit me.
Anymore, I have a water jug of some form with me or near me all the time.

To the OP, We have a shop on Batam island (google it your interested). The office girls take turns, every morning, they put a 1/2 liter bottle of water on every desk. at noon, another bottle. If your working in the shop, someone if regularly offering you a bottle of water. Basically, everytime you turn around you are reminded of water. Consider keeping a few bottles around to remind you to drink. even a sign over a door you use regularly.

Try the G2 gatorade, less calories and less sodium, I started drinking it last year and it works wonders.

I Live near Joe in CT, I'm about 35 minutes from Woosta. I know the kinda heat he is talkin' about, past 2 days has been a mutha'. I used to push myself too hard and not drink enough too when I was younger, gave myself heat stroke more than once. I usually get up around 4 am and work 'til about 11 am and drink about a gallon of H20/soda in that period. Then take a nice cold shower when you get back in da' house -feels nice when its this hot outside.

i must have drank 10 20oz bottles of water and a gatorade today at work, feels good to be in the ac.

My pee is %50 Miller Lite.....

Jeez Fish, Light beer is the same thing as water anyway. It was in the low 90's here over the weekend, and the humidity was very high. I had dropped a big dead Red Elm and wanted to get it cut up. I unloaded the truck from the day before and then cut and loaded the truck again. I came into Susan's glass studio and she said "you don't look good, have you been drinking water"? Well of course I hadn't, so I went in and drank a bunch of water and took a warm and then slightly cool shower, and drank some more. I got by OK, but I've only been dehydrated once, and that was enough. It's always easier to do it right than to think "well I'll just finish this and then go get water". Always check the pee color, you'll know where you are as far as hydration is concerned. JR

Thanks for the well wishes and all the great advice. I am definately going to try the water/gatorade. also interesting about the garden hose! I drank from those for 10 years playing football. Just starting to feel better. Still no real appetite, had a small piece of steak for supper. Head still aches too. I learned my lesson.

I Live near Joe in CT, I'm about 35 minutes from Woosta. I know the kinda heat he is talkin' about, past 2 days has been a mutha'. I used to push myself too hard and not drink enough too when I was younger, gave myself heat stroke more than once. I usually get up around 4 am and work 'til about 11 am and drink about a gallon of H20/soda in that period. Then take a nice cold shower when you get back in da' house -feels nice when its this hot outside.

saw the weather, I almost know what your dealing with, the weather is usually like that in the summer here anyway. Only difference is, we have good airconditioning EVERYWHERE.....

Summertime temps are mid ninety's with humidity around the same. I spend most of the summer time dehydrated. I push mow three yards about every week as well as other outside activities. I usually work till I want to puke and then stop for a bit. Biggest thing I have found when your that hot, do not drink ice cold water. Room temp is the way to go, if the water is too cold it wont stay down and just make your stomach ache. Stay cool, hope you feel better.

water

Hope you feel better...

I can remember back in the day, in boot camp our Drill Instructors would punish us by making us drink water.
Now here at work, I drink mostly cofee, but when I go out cutting I try to drink lots of water, and stay off the soda.

I'm a big sweater and therefore a big drinker luckily and rarely get heatstroke. I've cut in nearly 115°f before and it sucked, but I would much rather work in 115°f of DRY heat with low humidity than your 85°f with HIGH humidity. Humidity and I do not get along. Sweating just doesn't cool you down when it isn't evaporating off your body due to high humidity.
I tend to get more dehydrated in Winter because as mentioned you don't sweat and don't realise till you get glow in the dark pee or a killer headache.

All the best mate, you'll be fine in no time but what you've outlined is a very important tip for all of us :cheers:

Sweating

Isn't funny that you will see two fellas more or less in the same shape doing the same work and one will be sweating his arse off the other barely a drop.I think it has to do with ones metabolism.I have a very fast metabolism,i sweat just thinking about heat.I'll walk around the house in the fall and early winter in shorts and every one else is yelling to turn the furnace up.
Lawrence

I've been trying to beat the heat for over a month now. Today it was 97 with 90% humidty. Baling hay and such things is'nt too bad, as I keep a cooler full of water and Gatorade beside me.

Building fence is the killer. We work from 7:30 till at least 6 O' clock, sometimes later. man it was rough today! I sweat alot. Usually look like I've been swimming within the first hour. It's a strenuous job anyways, but the heat just tops it off. I don't know how we get by without overheating. I drank alot but not enough I'd say. Mostly water and Gatorade. I find that soda pop just dries me out. Can't handle pop when it's really hot.

I envy people who work in AC all day.:censored:

Oh well, had to be born on a friggen farm.

Latest posts

Back