Drink water out there! or wind up like me

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't funny that you will see two fellas more or less in the same shape doing the same work and one will be sweating his arse off the other barely a drop.I think it has to do with ones metabolism.I have a very fast metabolism,i sweat just thinking about heat.I'll walk around the house in the fall and early winter in shorts and every one else is yelling to turn the furnace up.
Lawrence

That sounds just like me. My buddy I work with, when he sweats, you know it's blazing outside. I sweat profusely just standing outside.

Winter time I'm nothing but pants with lining and heavy shirt with undershirt. No matter how cold. When we're feeding cattle in the winter I'm all about it and everyone else is complaining then. Lol, but I'm the one complaining now and they haze me for it. I'll get my payback this January. :givebeer:

Know all about the north eastern "heat-wave" up here in eastern CT. Got to 105 here yesterday and upper 90's today. I am a chef by trade and our hood-vent system decided to crap out today. 122 degree's all night by the broiler! Good stuff!

PS: Good old water (gallon jug's are good) mixed with a little lemonade work best for me, and I sweat big time too.

Hope you're feeling better Joe.

Just take it easy and make sure to fully recover and rehydrate before goin' balls to the wall in the heat.

Once you are a heat casualty, you're more susceptible in the future for some reason, and it takes several days for your system to fully recover.

If you have muscle soreness, cramps, headache, you're still a couple days out from near recovered.
Once the system starts shutting things down, it goes into self protection mode, and only time, hydration, and nutrition will get it back to normal.

Water, Water,water. Screw that fancy stuff.
Ya got Water in your cells, not Gatorade, and if God figured us and the critters would work better running on Gatorade, we would have Lime green rivers and lakes. ;)

I gave my Picking crew the day off after Monday.
Poor guys were going at it on the sand in 95 degrees, and nary a breeze moving in the rows. I've seen guys simply flop over and go completely disoriented in heat like this, then pass out and damn near die.

Heal well!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Good luck w/ a fast recovery Joe, Ding is right on the money, lots of water and once your a heat casualty it's easier to become one again. Sweating is a good thing, when ya stop sweating you need to worry.

ASing now. my back hurt so bad earlier the only thing I could do was lay down. It was so hard to fight the urge to go work on saws or do something. I hate sitting still. But I didnt have a choice.

That's your kidneys telling you to drink. A quick fix is to drink fizzy water, it'll go right through you.

Pop!

A couple of you fellas mention Pop/Soda for thirst,god I hate the crap now.I drank tons of it when I was a kid.I don't think all that sugar can be good for you either,and if it's not sugar it's asperteme,or whatever that crap is.
Like others have posted, water is the the drink of choice for me when thirsty,but I do like some squeezed in fresh lemon juice or lime.
Lawrence

One of the things that are a major concern about heatstroke is that you can feel better, but not be out of danger. Heatstroke is deadly that way.

Drink water, soda's, beer, etc, all actually help to dehydrate you.

One of the things that are a major concern about heatstroke is that you can feel better, but not be out of danger. Heatstroke is deadly that way.

Drink water, soda's, beer, etc, all actually help to dehydrate you.

Buda, not trying to be a smartazz, or nitpicker, but I think you meant to say.

Drink water. Soda's, beer, etc, will actually dehydrate you. Sorry if I am mistaken. JR

As Ben Franklin said:

In wine there is wisdom,

In beer there is freedom,

In water there is bacteria.

In a number of carefully controlled trials,

Scientists have demonstrated that if we drink

1 litre of water each day,

At the end of the year we would have absorbed

More than 1 kilo of Escherichia coli, (E. Coli) - bacteria

Found in feces.

In other words, we are consuming 1 kilo of poop.

However,

We do NOT run that risk when drinking wine & beer

(or tequila, rum, whiskey or other liquor)

Because alcohol has to go through a purification process

Of boiling, filtering and/or fermenting.

Remember:

Water = Poop,

Wine = Health.

Therefore, it's better to drink wine and talk stupid,

Than to drink water and be full of ****.

LB

As Ben Franklin said:

In wine there is wisdom,

In beer there is freedom,

In water there is bacteria.

In a number of carefully controlled trials,

Scientists have demonstrated that if we drink

1 litre of water each day,

At the end of the year we would have absorbed

More than 1 kilo of Escherichia coli, (E. Coli) - bacteria

Found in feces.

In other words, we are consuming 1 kilo of poop.

However,

We do NOT run that risk when drinking wine & beer

(or tequila, rum, whiskey or other liquor)

Because alcohol has to go through a purification process

Of boiling, filtering and/or fermenting.

Remember:

Water = Poop,

Wine = Health.

Therefore, it's better to drink wine and talk stupid,

Than to drink water and be full of ****.

LB

LMAO .. I have a double house filter and a water sotener thank god..

Never too much liquids

Born and raised in Michigan. Would work all day and probably drink less than a pint of water per day as a kid.
I moved to Florad 25 years ago and continued with the inadequate liquid intake for about 8 years of Bass fishing sun rise to sun set at least one day every weekend. I'd drink at least a gallon of lemon aid, ice tea etc on the hour drive home but still wouldn't pee the next day.

Now I commonly drink at least 2 gallons while out working for 8 hrs, including starting before I even feel the need. And another gallon at home thru the evening. With plenty of liquid and Fla heat and humidity you will sweat-- I commonly go thru 2 or 3 soaked shirts and at least two pair of jeans or shorts in a day.

Long Story short--I'm lucky I've got good health insurance. I've passed 8 kidney stones over a 10 year period. Also had one they had to blast with laser--no fun. No stones in about 5 years. DRINK DRINK DRINK. I believe they started when I was a kid and then the bass fishing dehydration just made them grow.

I've downed 5 litres of water in a six hour session one day and not peed once, so I didn't drink enough on that oocaison.
(46*C/115*F ambient)
If I only had my normal 3 litres, I would have been cactus.

It is possible to OD on water too, but pretty uncommon.
If you drink too much water (unfit people can do this under long periods of major exertion) the sodium levels drop in the blood, and you die pretty quickly.

This has happened a number of times when people have been trekking the Kokoda Track over the Owen Stanley Ranges in New Guinea.
The Kokoda Track is a pilgrimage for a lot of Aussies, as it's the place where the Japanese were first turned back and made to retreat in WWII, so a lot of people that probably aren't up to it try and walk it, there's been a few deaths recently and the findings have been they've OD'd on water.

Cutting Gatorade and those types of drinks with water is a very good idea because they all have a lot of sodium (salt) in them. I'm not picking on Gatorade they all are loaded with salt. In hot weather a lot of salt intake is really bad for you. Drink till you pee is the way to go. LOL

Can you please explain why?

Sodium/potassium

It is not just sodium, but potassium is also released from the cells as you dehydrate. If you want to keep from getting cramps, try using the 'Lite' salt on your food. The salt is a low-sodium salt and has potassium chloride as a substitue for part of the sodium chloride.

When I raced in the desert the guys swore by it to help keep from getting cramps.

I would have to go back through one of my medical books to check the percentages of sodium/potassium in the cells (perhaps someone will chime in), but as I remember the potassium was a larger percentage of the ions in the cellular liquid. The salts are released when the cells release the water during sweating. You have to replentish both of them when you rehydrate in order for the cells to work properly. Most people will dump in the sodium, but don't top up on the potassium.

When I was in the hospital in Japan I found out that around 1/3 of the guys were medivac from 'Nam because of hemroids or kidney stones (dehydration issues). For the guys that had the kidney stones the doctors gave them two weeks to pass them or they went under the knife. They were told to go to the club every night and drink beer. They had to hold off taking a leak as long as they could in order to expand the passages. Most of the guys passed the stones and never had the operation. - Now there is some 'doctor's orders' that I could appreciate.

A certain % of various salts are necessary for the body to maintain a proper moisture level as Terry mentioned above. Salt is a necessity in your body and is why your are given saline intravenous drips if you ever get severely dehydrated. However if you just slug water all day you'll generally be fine. From what I remember you only need those extra salts after you already become dehydrated as it helps you rehydrate faster. I got very sick once and lost 18kg - a lot of muscle but was also severely dehydrated. My blood tests came back quite, um, bad with a lot of things out of sync. The doctors put me on an intravenous custom made Potassium based drip plus normal saline drips (once again like Terry mentioned). It HURT. It was going into the back of my hand and my whole arm throbbed, with the pain going through my shoulder and started to dull into my chest.
A mate of mine who was in the SAS in Afghanistan during a 2002 summer was carrying more than his own bodyweight when on patrol - half of this was water and from what I remember he was drinking around 30 litres a day getting resupplied regularly. He lost 10kg in a 6 month stint.
Salt has been under the pump by the uninformed solely due to it being consumed in excess and the fact that excess is known to contribute to heart disease. Fat in foods is exactly the same, the body has evolved to deal with and efficiently process fat in the diet, but when you eat mountains of saturated fats a week and don't exercise that's where it becomes a problem...

Last edited:
Heh Joe

Worked in the 90* shop during the day yesterday then went home and worked on my 2101XP a bit. It has been extremely hot and humid here. I drank water yesterday but not enough. Long story short I was on my way to work this morning and got so dizzy and light headed I had to pull the truck over. Wound up admitting myself in the ER and getting an IV and bloodwork. NOT FUN. I had a case of moderate dehydration and 10 hours later Im still hurting. All my muscles ache especially my back and head. I wouldnt run a saw in weather like this anyway for the saws sake and mine. But I know lots of guys here work outside or in shops like me. DRINK DRINK DRINK. I feel like I got hit by a truck.

How are you feeling today?Better I hope! It would seem that your dehydration problem has caused your thread to turn into very informative series of posts.Sorry for your major discomfort, but you can take some comfort in knowing that this thread will get members to make sure they are pumping the fluids during these hot days!
Lawrence

"When I was in the hospital in Japan I found out that around 1/3 of the guys were medivac from 'Nam because of hemroids or kidney stones (dehydration issues). For the guys that had the kidney stones the doctors gave them two weeks to pass them or they went under the knife. They were told to go to the club every night and drink beer. They had to hold off taking a leak as long as they could in order to expand the passages. Most of the guys passed the stones and never had the operation. - Now there is some 'doctor's orders' that I could appreciate.[/QUOTE]

And,,if you talked to them guys they would have told you they didnt take thier SALT pills that were readilly available..
now they call salt "electrolytes" LOL !!
besides helping the body retain the water it also helps the water pass through the cell walls in the body..if the salt level is to low the cell walls will not pass water as easy as it should,so even tho drinking a lot of water you may not get the needed result and benefit from it.
yes,potasium is also needed and PROTIEN ! sugar is an added bonus as it is a readilly available fuel for the body..
so what you are looking at under high heat circumstances is a supply of water,food of course with something that has a bit of salt in it and a bit of sweets.. nothing out of the ordinary for a normal diet..
so just WATER consumption is NOT a good idea,,your body requires the same in exessive heat as it needs normally,just need to keep up with the need.
LB

salts.

I dont remember where I heard/read the study, but I recall something about most healthy people dont need to worry about the amount of salt they consume.

Im heavy on salt and I sweat a good portion of it out. I dont have blood pressure problems, my body just passes the excess salts out. Or atleast Im going with that theory for now.

Hope you're feeling better Joe.

Just take it easy and make sure to fully recover and rehydrate before goin' balls to the wall in the heat.

Once you are a heat casualty, you're more susceptible in the future for some reason, and it takes several days for your system to fully recover.

If you have muscle soreness, cramps, headache, you're still a couple days out from near recovered.
Once the system starts shutting things down, it goes into self protection mode, and only time, hydration, and nutrition will get it back to normal.

Water, Water,water. Screw that fancy stuff.
Ya got Water in your cells, not Gatorade, and if God figured us and the critters would work better running on Gatorade, we would have Lime green rivers and lakes. ;)

I gave my Picking crew the day off after Monday.
Poor guys were going at it on the sand in 95 degrees, and nary a breeze moving in the rows. I've seen guys simply flop over and go completely disoriented in heat like this, then pass out and damn near die.

Heal well!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Dingeryote, when you sweat. You lose alot of a water and minerals. Gatorade is loaded with electrolytes, which is the basic components of sweat(sodium, potassium, chloride). When thinned down with water replaces all that you lost via sweating. I can not stand full strength gatorade anymore! It is to freaking sweet!

Try this stuff; http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/switchel.htm other wise known as haymakers punch. It is loaded with electrolytes and is very olde timey! It is the gatorade for us redneck folks! :cheers:

Mike

Sports Drinks

Depletion of the body's carbohydrate stores and dehydration are two factors that will limit prolonged exercise.

Dehydration

Sweating is the way in which the body maintains its core temperature at 37 degrees centigrade. This results in the loss of body fluid and electrolytes (minerals such as chloride, calcium, magnesium, sodium and potassium) and if unchecked will lead to dehydration and eventually circulatory collapse and heat stroke. The effect of fluid loss on the body is as follows:

% body weight lost as sweat Physiological Effect
2% Impaired performance
4% Capacity for muscular work declines
5% Heat exhaustion
7% Hallucinations
10% Circulatory collapse and heat stroke
Reference: "The Maintenance of Fluid Balance during Exercise", International Journal of Sports Medicine, vol. 15(3), pp. 122-125, 1994

Electrolytes

Electrolytes serve three general functions in the body:

many are essential minerals
they control osmosis of water between body compartments
they help maintain the acid-base balance required for normal cellular activities
The sweat that evaporates from the skin contains a variety of electrolytes. The electrolyte composition of sweat is variable but comprises of the following components:

Sodium
Potassium
Calcium
Magnesium
Chloride
Bicarbonate
Phosphate
Sulphate
A litre of sweat typically contains 0.02g Calcium, 0.05g Magnesium, 1.15g Sodium, 0.23g Potassium and 1.48g Chloride. This composition will vary from person to person.

Glucose

Carbohydrate is stored as glucose in the liver and muscles and is the most efficient source of energy as it requires less oxygen to be burnt than either protein or fat. The normal body stores of carbohydrate in a typical athlete are:

70kg male athlete - Liver glycogen 90g and muscle glycogen 400g
60kg female athlete - Liver glycogen 70g and muscle glycogen 300g.

During hard exercise, carbohydrate can be depleted at a rate of 3-4 grams per minute. If this is sustained for 2 hours or more, a very large fraction of the total body carbohydrate stores will be exhausted and if not checked will result in reduced performance.

Recovery of the muscle and liver glycogen stores after exercise will normally require 24-48 hours for complete recovery.

During exercise, there is in an increased uptake of blood glucose by the muscles and to prevent blood glucose levels falling the liver produces glucose from the liver stores and lactate.

Consuming carbohydrate before, during and after exercise will help prevent blood glucose levels falling too low and help maintain the body's glycogen stores. Many athletes cannot consume food before or during exercise and therefore a formulated drink that will provide carbohydrate is required.

Hydration

Fluid absorption

Two main factors affect the speed at which fluid from a drink gets into the body:

the speed at which it is emptied from the stomach
the rate at which it is absorbed through the walls of the small intestine

The higher the carbohydrate levels in a drink the slower the rate of stomach emptying. Isotonic drinks with a carbohydrate level of between 6 and 8% are emptied from the stomach at a rate similar to water. Electrolytes, especially sodium and potassium, in a drink will reduce urine output, enable the fluid to empty quickly from the stomach, promote absorption from the intestine and encourage fluid retention.

Reference: "The Effect of Different Forms of Fluid Provision on Exercise Performance", International Journal of Sports Medicine, vol. 14, p. 298, 1993)

What's wrong with water?

Drinking plain water causes bloating, suppresses thirst and thus further drinking. A poor choice where high fluid intake is required. Water contains no carbohydrate or electrolytes.

Calculating personal fluid needs

During an endurance event, you should drink just enough to be sure you lose no more than 2% of pre-race weight. This can be achieved in the following way:

Record your naked body weight immediately before and after a number of training sessions, along with details of distance/duration, clothing and weather conditions
Add the amount of fluid taken during the session to the amount of weight lost - 1 kilogram (kg) is roughly equivalent to 1 litre of fluid (1lb approx. 0.5 litre)
After a few weeks you should begin to see some patterns emerging and can calculate your sweat rate per hour
Once you know what your sweat losses are likely to be in any given set of environmental conditions, you can plan your drinking strategy for any particular event

Latest posts

Back