Drive sprocket size

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodyman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi,I will be going to grampatractors GTG this Sat. for some racing and alot of fun.I have a ported Husqvarna 371XP that I will be running a 20" bar with .375X.050 Oregon 72CL square ground on and a 28" bar that I will be running .375X.050 Oregon 72JGX skip round ground.I have read alot about which drive sprocket to run on these and I am confussed.What do you guys think would be my fastest set-upfor the two as far as 7 pin or 8 pin go?I will run the 28" bar in all different sizes of wood but the 20" bar won't be cutting anything bigger than 16" or 18" wood.

As I learned earlier from Brad Snelling and Westpartan....... 7 for the 28".....but now I re-read and your saw is ported, so who knows....sorry ignore me please :dizzy:

Last edited:
Hi,I will be going to grampatractors GTG this Sat. for some racing and alot of fun.I have a ported Husqvarna 371XP that I will be running a 20" bar with .375X.050 Oregon 72CL square ground on and a 28" bar that I will be running .375X.050 Oregon 72JGX skip round ground.I have read alot about which drive sprocket to run on these and I am confussed.What do you guys think would be my fastest set-upfor the two as far as 7 pin or 8 pin go?I will run the 28" bar in all different sizes of wood but the 20" bar won't be cutting anything bigger than 16" or 18" wood.
Looks like a good opp to try em both out and report back with the results. Its been my experience that square takes less power to pull if you keep the rakers set 025 or higher.

Back