Drooping, bending, twisting limbs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icarus

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I planted species of non-seeding hard maple just over three years ago. This summer I noticed that some of the limbs (about 3/4" to 1" in diameter) have begun to droop, not simply bend, but actually seem to be growing droops. Two limbs even seem to be twisting together. The tree is about 15 feet tall, having grown three to four feet since we planted it. Our soil is very good, plants thrive here (west Michigan near the Lake). Up until this point (in my unprofessional opinion) I haven't noticed the limbs growing this way, it's a tree that I spend time near daily, it doesn't seem normal to me.

We have had quite a dry spell, but I noticed the drooping and the two twisted limbs before this dry spell.

I have forgotten the specific name of the tree. The trunk is silvery and smooth. The leaf has pointed (not rounded) edges, has a bright red stem, and is about three to four inches in diameter).

We have had quite a dry spell, but I noticed the drooping and the two twisted limbs before this dry spell.

Any explanations or suggestions? Please help, we love our tree.

Drooping branchs could be a result of the species of tree coupled with your drought. (We would need a tree id for sure). Twisting branches can be fixed by pruning out the weaker of the two.

Can you supply a photo of the leaves, branches and fruit?

Back