drop starting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clearance

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Has anybody out there ever been hurt drop starting a saw? Please only what you have seen, experienced not stories.

After I stopped drop starting and use other techinques my shoulders and elbows hurt a lot less after a day of removal work. Drop starting umpteen times in a day is hard on your body in more ways than just getting cut.

This is another example of repetitive stress that will catch up to all of us as we get older.

DROP STARTING

Saw off the ground, sometimes the bar tip is set on a log, hold the saw handle in your right hand, pull with your left hand, done by everyone since the begining of chain saw use, and frowned upon by every safety organization. Proper use says saw should be started on the ground with a foot in the trigger handle, or wedge the handle against you inner thigh.

thanks.....i've heard the term but never really knew what it meant. thats pretty much the way i start all my saws.

Well gents,that's all fine and dandy for a smaller saw.Try it on an 084 some time.

Does anyone here leave the saw running on your lanyard (brake engaged) in between cuts in the tree? I don't but my partner does alot.....says he wont need rotor cuff surgury later....

Eagle1 said:
Does anyone here leave the saw running on your lanyard (brake engaged) in between cuts in the tree? I don't but my partner does alot.....says he wont need rotor cuff surgury later....

my boss does that.......i hate the idea of it. he even leaves it running in the bucket with him. i just shake my head when i watch him.

I drop start the little saws. The saws over 4 CID I usually set on the ground or stump. The ones around 3-5 cubes also get started with the handle under the thigh technique-I'm sure it is forbidden by someone but it works well.

Stumper said:
The ones around 3-5 cubes also get started with the handle under the thigh technique

Gave one of my old Homelite xl925 to a guy a work to play with, he tried the under the thigh method and still has a limp and a bit higher voice. :)

I once watched a friend punch himself in the face when dropstarting because of a broken pullcord. Funniest thing I'd seen all week. Still makes me smile thinking about it.

Drop starting can also be done by holding the front handle with left hand and yanking the starter cord with right hand. This was my favorite starting technique until I realized that once the saw starts, I'm holding a running saw on fast idle with one hand as it bounces around in rebound from my pulling the cord. I don't like having so little control of the saw while the chain is moving, even for only as long as it takes me to let go of the pullcord and get my right hand on the rear handle. I also don't like the idea of running the saw on fast idle with the chain brake on, so now I start on the ground. Anyone who snickers about it gets told to go copulate themselves.

Last edited:
I used to drop start all my saws, but since I learned the method talked about where you stick it in your thigh, that's how I do it now, except for the climbing saws. Those little pecker pole pruners still get drop started.

It makes sense to me to set the brake, set the throttle/choke control, hit the decompression valve, stick the rear handle under my thigh, and pull. It gives total control, is effortless, safe, once the habit is formed, fast and easy.
I will admit, after drop starting for more than ten years, it took some doing to make proper starting a habit.
As for actual injury, it is hard to quantify, but I started suffering from CTS symptoms, and changed the way I had done things for years to manage it. Starting saws properly was one of those changes.
I suppose wrist elbow and shoulder injuries are also hard to quantify. The safety guys could probably give exact numbers of people that actually cut themselves drop starting, it's like a lot of other things, learning to do it right pays off.

in the tree drop starting is just about required for all saws. except maybe smaller saws, but then why not. Just make double sure to check your chain brake.

I tend to leave my saw running dangling from my lanyard. only w/ brake on though. I think it is a definite elbow saver and i'd say the risk is very minimal afterall it dangles below my feet. worst thing it could probobally cut would be the tail of my rope. chance of that is about 0 percent considering the chain brake is applied.

I never allow anyone to dangle a running saw. I see the possibilty of something bumping the brake and the throttle at the same time. Maybe I spend too much time thinking about possibilities to the ridiculous extreme... :)

Somewhere in the Z133 there is a section that prohibits drop starting. FWIW...do as you will, you will anyway.

Tom- I always use to climb with my 020 hanging of my ass, running without the brake on. My new boss asked me to use the brake when I am not cutting, he also asked me to never free climb. Its his show and out of respect I don't freeclimb and I use my brake. I never really though about it but the saw could run a little and badly nick the rope, then when you are rappelling back down it could break. So I guess you are right in a way.

I drop start like 2Coilinveins wrote but I always have the chain brake on.

Also, with Stihls, just happens by coincidence does it that it's the perfect postion to just twist the wrist a bit and extend the thumb out to decompress ... just perfect.

And I have never ever had an incident or near close call as you have a pretty good grip of it and at pretty much the central balance point with the bar well away and sticking out to the left of you.

Also, as soon as you have started it your right hand is ready to grab the handle and trigger.

Personally, its the most comfortable, easiest and natural way for me.

I also often have my saws idling with the brake on whilst they hang of my harness, if you're blocking down etc you'd be nuts to start it every time... stuff that starting them every cut unless you have to seriously manouver around the tree. :)

Latest posts

Back