drop starting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm just sick of when guys start the saw with the chain brake off. with it on, you have the possibility of a small cut. with it off, the chain will be full speed with one hand on the saw.
i think its easy to start it with the handle in between my legs. two points of contact.

treesurgeon said:
....... I think its easy to start it with the handle in between my legs. two points of contact.
That is what I usually do, and always when the saw is cold. I don't hesitate to drop start (left hand on rope) if the saw is warmed up, and it suits the situation, though.
I have never hurt myself in any way, or even been close to it, either way. :)

I have never started a saw with the chainbrake on unless in thick brush/high grass, and I don't want to do it, as I think it adds an element of stress to the starting process.
I don't know anyone else who starts with the brake on either......

Last edited:
OSHA keeps track of industrial accidents, to some extent. There are injuries from drop starting, I'm sure, and I'd bet the worst ones are where the saw starts at high throttle and the chain makes contact with the operator or somebody nearby.
If the brakes on, that is less likely to happen. And if you start it with an approved method, it's less likely to be flailing around and hit flesh.
I guess it's kind of like driving with or with out your seatbelt on. It probably won't save you from injury, but it might.
Proper starting does take a second or two longer, but I've found if I start the process of starting a second or two earlier, I end up standing in front of the log with the saw running at the same time, or I just drop start it.

treesurgeon said:
<snip> i think its easy to start it with the handle in between my legs. two points of contact.

Same here. I don't get the repeated nay sayers with their "saw between the legs" bit. If you have the 'saw' between your legs, you ain't doing it right. Handle behind right knee or just above it, Left knee under crank case(actually just on the left edge of it), left hand on handle. Three points of control as opposed to waving a running saw around one handed. All that belongs between the legs is the point of the rear handle.

Harry K

Treesurgeon says I am nuts cause I used to freeclimb, he starts a saw with the handle between his legs, what about his nuts? Anyways, thanks all for responding to my question. I have drop started everthing from little saws to 2100s with no decomp for the last 20 years, almost everyone I know drop starts. Just wondered if anyone had any real good stories like you hear the safaty gurus talk about, like the saw flying up and cutting someones head off.

TreeCo said:
I don't like the 'between the legs' or behind the knee starting method. It's just as dangerous as drop starting. Where does this 'waving the saw around one handed' when drop starting come from? You got a hand on your knees on something?

Drop starting with the chain brake on is the safest and easiest was to start a chainsaw. The assumption that drop starters don't use the chain brake is just that....an assumption. It's like if you start the chainsaw between you legs the chain brake comes on automatically. Bunk.

When starting with the saw between you legs.....if there is a lot of compression the saw is still being pulled into the chest and face area of the operator.

Dan

Who said anything about not using the chain brake?

Drop starting: one hand on saw, one on pull rope, starts, just what is that you are waving around one handed? Where do you have more than one hand on it?

If the saw is pulled into your chest you have a mighty weak left arm.

Harry K

clearance said:
Treesurgeon says I am nuts cause I used to freeclimb, he starts a saw with the handle between his legs, what about his nuts? Anyways, thanks all for responding to my question. I have drop started everthing from little saws to 2100s with no decomp for the last 20 years, almost everyone I know drop starts. Just wondered if anyone had any real good stories like you hear the safaty gurus talk about, like the saw flying up and cutting someones head off.

Likewise. As I said in an earlier post, eveyone has their opinion and it is unlikely anyone will change.

As for accidents drops starting, I have never seen any reports of one, just like I have never seen a report of one with the knee brace method. Not saying they don't exist, just never saw one.

Harry K

TreeCo said:
My right hand is on the front handle and my left hand is on the pull starter. The chain brake is on.

There is no waving around of the saw at all. It's not a difficult concept.

You must be doing it wrong.

Dan
whats your concept for all the saws without chain-brakes. the two approved ways to start a saw are between the legs and on the ground. i have never seen a manual to show how to professionally drop start a saw.

clearance said:
i guess your not nuts, i must have read my saw manual wrong when it talked about the two only ways to start a saw. what does stihl know anyways. i know it might take a few seconds longer to start a saw but time is money so keep on drop starting and forget about those rope's, they can get tangled and be a hassle.
are you the guy i read about that took dead tops out of trees 60' up by free climbing?

If you hold the saw between your legs properly, it puts very little strain on your wrist, elbow, and shoulder. It is much lower impact than drop starting. That adds to the safety of the method for sure.
I find myself drop starting when I'm fresh and full of energy, and then later in the day when my ass is dragging and I'm starting a big, cold saw, I'll start it the right way.

In the tree, there are different mechanics. The ground isn't in the way and you can hang so your lower body is out of the way.

Dan, when you drop start, are you holding the rear handle?

drop starting with the brake off makes you look more proffesional,like you know whats happening you are king of the jungle.

TreeCo said:
My right hand is on the front handle and my left hand is on the pull starter. The chain brake is on.

There is no waving around of the saw at all. It's not a difficult concept.

You must be doing it wrong.

Dan

You still have only one hand on a running saw.

As for doing it wrong, you are correct. I don't do it at all so in your book that is wrong. As I have said, no one is going to change their opinions. All the techs I have seen starting saws use the drop start with right hand on the rear handle without the chainbrake on. Now that is scary just watching it.

Harry K

TreeCo said:
You are still pulling the starter cord with you hand and arm, aren't you? Or do other appendages come into play?

I find that with the handle behind my leg.......and yes I've started saws hundreds of times that way......that my arm is already bent at the elbow before I even start pulling the starter handle. For me that makes it harder. Plus I gain some mechanical advantage by pushing the saw away from me with one arm while pulling with the other. The chain brake is always on.

Dan

The advantage is you don't have to lift the saw with one hand and throw it down while you pull on the cord, and then stop its movement, keep it in control, and grab at it with your other hand.
You just pull on the cord, a very similar motion to holding the rear handle with your foot while the saw is on the ground, as you do with an 066.

A lot of chainsaw injuries are worn out shoulders, elbows, and wrists. I'm talking about guys who run saws all day long for many years. Most tree guys get taken out of the game by more serious injuries, not making enough money, getting better opportunities, or whatever, but trust me, if don't watch out, these cumulative repetitive motion injuries can take you out just as surely as a good chainsaw cut.

Well, let's see, it's proof you want. Some objective study that followed a few thousand arborists, loggers, and homeowners around for 20 years, measuring every single upper body motion, then measuring each of those forces, statistically compiling information, and stating exactly the difference between the two methods of starting a saw. Yes, there is such a study underway. In an effort to prove you wrong, the study will be two days old tomorrow. :rolleyes:
Dude, use a little intellectual intuition. Drop starting is a jerky motion, throwing and stopping a 15 pound object, possibly several tens or hundreds of times a day.
You wanting proof it can cause injury, is like me wanting proof smoking a bunch of crack each day could cause cancer. Only a thorough study of your life style would tell for sure. :)

TreeCo said:
Sorry Mike but you have no evidence that drop starting a saw creates 'repetitive motion injuries' any more than putting the saw behind your leg.

Got proof or are you just blowing smoke?

Dan
what, you've never heard of drop starting elbow?

Back