drop starting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with Mr. Mass.
With the tip of the bar on a log or stump, it is easy.
Especially with larger saws.
Bending over and picking up one of those guys is not easy.

If you're a real man, you just give your saw the evil eye and say "You'd better get cracking you little sob!!" The saw will tremble and shake for a couple of seconds before spitting gas out it's oiler hole and then take off running. After this, it won't kick back on you either. So, that's the problem--you all just can't handle saws like us real men.

Jim, although I agree that drop starting is a poor technique (unless you're in the tree obviously), this is not a good argument. Why was liquor outlawed?

True that spacemule, and im not a big fan of arguments to be honist. Can i just say, anything outlawed is either outlawed for your own health or safety...

I USED to drop start the big saws with my right hand on the wrap and left on the cord being left handed. That is, until I noticed a fresh hole in my jeans just below the keys in my pocket. No chainbrakes then. Never tried that again.

My wussy roomate wanted to use my 394 with 36" bar to cut some firewood, and I was showing him how to drop start it in our backyard. So he takes it with one hand on the handle and the other on the pull cord and gives it week jerk. Well, the cord didnt come out but maybe two inches, but managed to pull it into his leg and jabbed his thigh with the dawgs! It scared him so good he dropped the saw and said "I dont think I want to use it anymore." I tried not to laugh, but it was pretty funny.

edit: i just realized that my story made me seem sorta jerky, like I was fooling him or something. well, i showed him how to start it proper on the ground, but he wouldnt have it. he wanted to drop start it.

Last edited:
Back