Drunk With A Chainsaw!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan313

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
A little while ago I heard a chainsaw coming from Neighbor Brian's house; since he is not the smartest guy, and is always drunk I went over to make sure nobody got hurt. It is a good thing I did! He was using the saw one handed above his head, and the dogs where running around loose, plus, he obviously had no PPE on. I also saw a huge cloud of smoke, and his saw was cutting very slow, so I knew he had no oil in it. I told him to put the saw down, and I would go get my saws and do it for him.

Surprisingly, he put the saw down and while I walked back to my house I did not hear the saw start up until I was about 25 feet away from him on my way back. While I was walking back, neighbor Andrew got home (who is Brian's son-in-law). He was very confused when he saw me walking through his yard with all of my safety gear on and a saw in each hand! When I filled him in on what Brian was doing he could not thank me enough for coming to help. When Brian had first seen me he was making fun of me and all of the gear I had on. I was just about to start when Brian told me that he did not want me to cut the little 12' tree onto his fence; the tree was leaning at about 75 degrees, so it was not going the other way unless I pulled it with one of the tractors, which was pointless because it would not harm the fence anyway.

He went to get another beer, and while on his way I started the saw and he saw I was going to drop it on the fence. So, he ran (or tried to anyway) back to stop me. I did not know he came back until he started yelling at Andrew about how I was going to crush his fence; remember, he had to be yelling pretty loud to be heard over the saw, and my ear protection!

I stopped, when he threw a branch at me. At this point, I left and took all of my stuff... plus his chainsaw. I told him I was going to sharpen it for him, while he did not believe me at first we convinced him I was going to sharpen it for him. I said I would be back tomorrow. Andrew told me Brian would not be home in the morning, so Andrew and I will finish it up then when he is not there.

I only went over because I did not want anybody to get hurt, and by the looks of it there is a good chance he would have hurt himself, or one of his dogs.

Be careful, you could wind up being the one getting hurt. I commend your good Samaritan nature, however

That just reminded me of what my neighbour tried to do after we had a big night out on the town and came home drunk. My neighbour was fed up with his rooster because it kept attacking his wife and any visitors, so he decided it was time to cut the roosters head off with his brush cutter. lucky he was too drunk to work out how to start the brush cutter.

May sound rude but nowadays I would've sat back and let him go at it.

If you couldn't sip beer while you worked up firewood my dad would probably freeze next winter.

Yep, I could sip a cold beer while splitting firewood, my buddy, on the other hands idea of sipping a cold beer is a 30 pack of empties laying around the wood pile. But, I guess that's because I'd rather drink 1 good beer than a 30 pack of his "LIGHT" diet beer, Joe.

Like the bumper stickers say. Rid the world of dumb people, Remove warning stickers from equipment. Probably would keep drunks off the hiway too.
I'd have a hard time living with my self saving him only to have him some day kill some one else drunk.

:D Al

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back