e-Bay problem, need some input

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I respectfully disagree. I have only had 1 USPS claim and it was the sender that had to start the proceddings. I have had several DHL and UPS claims and once again it was teh sender that had to file the claim. Now with any of the services the receiver can start a serach for "dead mail" but that is not an insurance claim. With USPS it is a form that ois filled out with all the details and decription of the item. I probably still have a form or 2 around here.

Bill

USPS is @ss backward. never ever, ever send anything via them, not even a postcard. unlike any other business that i know of that you pay somebody for a service they have absolutely zero responsibility or liability.

basically they suk!

:censored:

I went through this years ago, I was the one that got the empty box. It should have had 100.00 worth of planer blades, was empty. UPS was the shipper, the SENDER had to file the claim. The 'automatic insured' for 100.00 is B.S. - UPS said "inadaquet packaging" and paid 0.00 - Towards the end, the sender goes bankrupt, in the very end, I was the one out the 100.00. What can Brown do for you?

I think you will be OK. Paypal and Ebay favor the buyer.

+1

Paypal and Ebay (one in the same) are a joke when it comes to customer service. Don't expect ANYTHING from PP... I got the shaft big-time from them last year after paying for a junk item with their service.

I can assure you that the shipper has to file the claim. Reason being is that the shipper is the one that payed for the service. I can also confirm that UPS automatic insurance is only $100. PayPal will only cover you if you followed ALL of their rules and that includes insurance and delivery confirmation.

sorry to hear about this mishap, Mark !
I lost 2 big bars when my first 090 was shipped to me. But in my case, the sender had taped them to the box on the outside as they did not fit into the box. Postal services responded " inadequate packing" to the sender, which it was, but they accepted to ship it anyway.:dizzy:

Unfortunately, I think Juststumps may be right.

roland

400+ paypal transactions, with a 100% rating on ebay... somewhat familiar with how things work...

1. rules are constantly changing for paypal and USPS. anything listed below could change. if in a dispute, one really needs to find rules and read.

2. generally paypal doesn't get involved in "item is not as described" PP is interested in electronic tracking and proof of delivery $250+ requires signature.

3. paypal favors the seller, credit cards favors the buyer. for example seller could claim anything in sale ad, then ship a box of rocks with delivery confirmation. PP will do nada... as seller used electronic tracking. vs the same sale paid with credit card funded paypal. credit card companies have equal clout to PP and will yank funds back, even if seller has $0 in their checking account.

even if you win your paypal dispute... if seller has $0 in bank account... PP says tuff sh*t... vs credit card funded paypal folks will get their $$ back.

4. filing lost claims rules are different for each carrier. regardless who starts the claim. seller is the one carrier will deal with as that's the person that purchased the insurance. carrier will generally request pictures of packing materials. if box is not rated for weight and/or not enough packing to cover items in several layers. carrier will deny claim, as insufficient packing.

Paypal is absolutely worthless for buyer protection!!!

400+ paypal transactions, with a 100% rating on ebay... somewhat familiar with how things work...

1. rules are constantly changing for paypal and USPS. anything listed below could change. if in a dispute, one really needs to find rules and read.

2. generally paypal doesn't get involved in "item is not as described" PP is interested in electronic tracking and proof of delivery $250+ requires signature. Yeap.

3. paypal favors the seller, credit cards favors the buyer. for example seller could claim anything in sale ad, then ship a box of rocks with delivery confirmation. PP will do nada... as seller used electronic tracking. vs the same sale paid with credit card funded paypal. credit card companies have equal clout to PP and will yank funds back, even if seller has $0 in their checking account. even if you win your paypal dispute... if seller has $0 in bank account... PP says tuff sh*t... vs credit card funded paypal folks will get their $$ back.

Exactly what happen to me (as the buyer)! Seller sent me a totally junk video card (not what I paid for) and PP told me in my dispute judgement that the seller sent the item and that they didn't care what was actually sent, they just cared that something was sent. I was out $425 and only have a story and worthless video card to show for it.

4. filing lost claims rules are different for each carrier. regardless who starts the claim. seller is the one carrier will deal with as that's the person that purchased the insurance. carrier will generally request pictures of packing materials. if box is not rated for weight and/or not enough packing to cover items in several layers. carrier will deny claim, as insufficient packing.
True again.

BINGO!!!

+1

Paypal and Ebay (one in the same) are a joke when it comes to customer service. Don't expect ANYTHING from PP... I got the shaft big-time from them last year after paying for a junk item with their service.

why are you dogging PAYPAL-eBAY, on this one...

buyer got the wrong thing,,,, offered to keep the product, that he didn't want, if he got a discount... seller offered a full refund, just ship them back...... the items got lost....

what does PAYPAL or EBAY, have to do with this now ???????? and why should the seller, be holding the bag ????

the buyer was responsible for the shipping,,, he packed and shipped it,

the one thing i find a little strange, is the offer to keep the items for a discount.... ..........HMMMM....

Mark,
There are two different events here.

First off the bars were 'materially misrepresented', meaning they were listed and sold for a certain saw and didnt fit. If Im understanding this situation correctly these bars were sold as 'will fit such and such bar mount Mcculloch', and that these were the sellers words. If this is true you could have stopped right there, filed a claim with paypal for the misrepresented items, won the dispute and kept the bars w/o paying for them. If the seller would have tried to demand that the bars be returned, they would have had to pay the freight because the bars were misrepresented in the first place... If the seller would not have sent the call tag or increased your refund then you keep the item or dispose of same as you see fit. Reason: Sellers are supposed to know what they are selling.

The second event centers around your decision to return these bars which really was done out of the goodness of your heart and on your dime. So, only because the seller requested that you return their bars, did you do so.

If you want to know what the sellers name and phone number are, log on to ebay and under the advanced search, request this sellers 'contact information'. Its on the left margin of the advanced search. You will need to enter the item number and some other info on the ebay form and they will send you this sellers full name, address and phone number.

In addition, since you used USPS, make a report to the Postal Inspector in charge of your Post Office and they will get the parties concerned out there looking around for these bars which should be easy to find. Believe it that they will ask the carrier if he or she left an empty or torn package. If the carrier says no, then they will surely look at this seller a little deeper with suspicion.

I would dispute the transaction with paypal and state that the item was materially misrepresented as long as this is correct. After ten days, I would then escalate this 'dispute' to a 'claim' under the paypal rules for buyers. Paypal will not automatically escalate the dispute to a claim, you must do this. This seller has $200 worth of 'buyer protection' afforded to you as the buyer in this case. If you are successful in your claim your total payment to the seller will be refunded, it has nothing to do with whether the seller has any money in their paypal account.

The fact that you returned the bars is secondary and was your good faith attempt to make the seller whole.

If you have questions, pm me.

Best wishes,
Bob

Mark,

First off the bars were 'materially misrepresented', meaning they were listed and sold for a certain saw and didnt fit. If Im understanding this situation correctly these bars were sold as 'will fit such and such bar mount Mcculloch', and that these were the sellers words. If this is true you could have stopped right there, filed a claim with paypal for the misrepresented items, won the dispute and kept the bars w/o paying for them. If the seller would have tried to demand that the bars be returned, they would have had to pay the freight because the bars were misrepresented in the first place... If the seller would not have sent the call tag or increased your refund then you keep the item or dispose of same as you see fit. Reason: Sellers are supposed to know what they are selling.

The second event centers around your decision to return these bars which really was done out of the goodness of your heart and on your dime. So, only because the seller requested that you return their bars, did you do so.

If you want to know what the sellers name and phone number are, log on to ebay and under the advanced search, request this sellers 'contact information'. Its on the left margin of the advanced search. You will need to enter the item number and some other info on the ebay form and they will send you this sellers full name, address and phone number.

In addition, since you used USPS, make a report to the Postal Inspector in charge of your Post Office and they will get the parties concerned out there looking around for these bars which should be easy to find. Believe it that they will ask the carrier if he or she left an empty or torn package. If the carrier says no, then they will surely look at this seller a little deeper with suspicion.

I would dispute the transaction with paypal and state that the item was materially misrepresented as long as this is correct. After ten days, I would then escalate this 'dispute' to a 'claim' under the paypal rules for buyers. Paypal will not automatically escalate the dispute to a claim, you must do this. This seller has $200 worth of 'buyer protection' afforded to you as the buyer in this case. If you are successful in your claim your total payment to the seller will be refunded, it has nothing to do with whether the seller has any money in their paypal account.

The fact that you returned the bars is secondary and was your good faith attempt to make the seller whole.

Best wishes,
Bob

good post bob!

The moral of this story is, when using eBay, always use a shipper that allows for package tracking. USPS Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation works for me. Then when they claim they didn't get something, I reply "That's funny, your mailman claims otherwise". End of story.

thats one reason why every package i send out is delivery confirmation attached even first class parcels get the delivery confirmation # attached so i can make sure of things plus it helps me know how long a package takes

good point use tracking info which ever shipping company it is be dhl fed ex ups usps they all have ways of a tracking or confirmation #s

Why do people feel they "won" on Ebay. Half the time you get stung.

i dont do ebay that often as far as a seller i have only sold one lot of briggs parts and i did not win off of that the buyer actually won on that one cause he got $258.00 worth of briggs parts for $ 25.00 actually 20.00 cause of the listing fees but i guess its a gamble according to what is being sold i probily make better by selling each item at a $ 0.99 cent status instead of putting it in a big package deal

what do you think ?

i dont do ebay that often as far as a seller i have only sold one lot of briggs parts and i did not win off of that the buyer actually won on that one cause he got $258.00 worth of briggs parts for $ 25.00 actually 20.00 cause of the listing fees but i guess its a gamble according to what is being sold i probily make better by selling each item at a $ 0.99 cent status instead of putting it in a big package deal

what do you think ?

If you have parts that you know are popular, I would sell them individually, but if you have some that are rarely used, I would bundle them in the hopes that someone needs one part, or two and will bump up the auction to get those parts that they need. Just my opinion, Calvin. I just sell casually, so I don't have experience like some of the big sellers.

I respectfully disagree. I have only had 1 USPS claim and it was the sender that had to start the proceddings. I have had several DHL and UPS claims and once again it was teh sender that had to file the claim. Now with any of the services the receiver can start a serach for "dead mail" but that is not an insurance claim. With USPS it is a form that ois filled out with all the details and decription of the item. I probably still have a form or 2 around here.

Bill

apples and oranges

the reciever files a claim if the goods came in damaged..(the seller has no knowledge of the condition of the goods once it left his hands)

the sender files a claim if the goods never arrived...

Mark,

Best wishes,
Bob

what planet does that rule come from????

really???? so i can get the wrong thing, and not have to return it, and get my money back????? you learn something everyday !!!!

Back