Eastern Hemlock Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood Hick

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am going to bid on a job clearing mature hemlocks. They are very limb-heavy and knarly old buggers. Bid states felling and limbing only, owner is providing skidder and removal. I primarily cut hardwoods, and was just wondering what kind of time I should add for limbing? Also, what kind of troubles can I expect with my saws with prolonged cutting of Hemlock in summer? Maybe some advice from some of you guys who cut softwoods/evergreens more frequently.

It will take 2 to 3 times as long as it would cutting hardwood.You'll burn around 3 gals. of gas and over a gal. of bar oil a day.(maybe more)Hopefully you can get some kind of process going with the skidder that will keep you from getting tangled up in the brush.
I go threw a 372 in about three months in warm weather cutting softwood.Excessive heat wipes out crank/rod bearing all I can do is keep the saw as clean as possible.You'll see what I mean your saw will get smokin' HOT!Good luck and charge as much as you can.
(And yes I would love to try a Stihl if only there was a good dealer around here)
Jon

It will take 2 to 3 times as long as it would cutting hardwood.You'll burn around 3 gals. of gas and over a gal. of bar oil a day.(maybe more)Hopefully you can get some kind of process going with the skidder that will keep you from getting tangled up in the brush.
I go threw a 372 in about three months in warm weather cutting softwood.Excessive heat wipes out crank/rod bearing all I can do is keep the saw as clean as possible.You'll see what I mean your saw will get smokin' HOT!Good luck and charge as much as you can.
(And yes I would love to try a Stihl if only there was a good dealer around here)
Jon

Jon
How much soft wood do you cut in those three months is it mostly hemlock or do cut some pine to?

what do you guys think about the price of hemlock lumber? Iknow with the chestnut way back in the day that obviosly the price is out the roof. Everything around here is dead and contemplating saving the wood

I am going to bid on a job clearing mature hemlocks. They are very limb-heavy and knarly old buggers. Bid states felling and limbing only, owner is providing skidder and removal. I primarily cut hardwoods, and was just wondering what kind of time I should add for limbing? Also, what kind of troubles can I expect with my saws with prolonged cutting of Hemlock in summer? Maybe some advice from some of you guys who cut softwoods/evergreens more frequently.

Just out of curiosity; What part of PA?

I am currently doing my own "little" Hemlock logging job. One thing I have noticed now that sap is up, I have to keep my backcut above the hinge or the trunk will split very easily. Wasn't much of a problem early this spring, but I'm a lot more careful now.

Also, Hemlocks seem to respond well to wedging. I enjoy working with them.

Pics

Here are some fairly recent pics.

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

How much $/mbf do you get for the hemlock if you don't mine me asking?

Around $200.00/mbf. A little more on larger logs, a little less on sub par ones.

All my stuff is cut to length. I try to keep updated with what the sawer needs to fill orders. It turns out my stuff is pretty decent. Not much ring shake/rot and fairly straight.

One thing for sure, I now look at trees in a whole different light!!

If you are getting $200 on the landing I think that is pretty good. I asked because I have a little to cut this fall myself. I just don't know if it will bring more $$ to pulp it or as logs?

For some reason our pulp prices have remained the same since 1987 (or so I have been told). If I would have let the local mill, Gladfelters, timber off our place, I think they were going to give me $14.00 per ton for any additional pulp material I had after they logged. I doubt they would honor that price since I am taking off the trees myself. I am going to contact them this week to find out what they would give me.

I understand the pulp prices are significantly higher in North East, US.

Hemlock here goes for around $275 for shorts and $800 for straight tree length.But then you have the trucking to pay of course but it's hard to sell it all the time the mill only wants it once and a while.

Hemlock here goes for around $275 for shorts and $800 for straight tree length.But then you have the trucking to pay of course but it's hard to sell it all the time the mill only wants it once and a while.

There is starting to be a decent market in our area for Hemlock.

I understand it weathers better than most hardwoods, other than Osage Orange. It makes nice exterior siding boards and I used it for sides on my trailer.

I'll post a couple of pics of the trailer sides in a few minutes. It sure is nice stuff to work with.

Job is in Lycoming county. Its the first phase of a 500 acre clearing. The landowner ( very wealthy ) wants the Hemlock gone, eradicated, from his property. Seems like a nice enough guy, and by the response here I will add about $25.00 per day to my bid. Thanks for the input.

Jon
How much soft wood do you cut in those three months is it mostly hemlock or do cut some pine to?
As much as I can!:chainsawguy: I mostly cut Spruce/Fir,Pine,Hemlock,Hardwoods.More or less in that order.
But,I'm on a Pine and Oak lot right now.

As much as I can!:chainsawguy: I mostly cut Spruce/Fir,Pine,Hemlock,Hardwoods.More or less in that order.
But,I'm on a Pine and Oak lot right now.

And you kill a 372 in 3 months you must cut alot of timber.How are the prices of oak and pine there?

Thread hijack

Sorry to hijack this thread. I just had a thought and you guys are in the right location. I just joined this site today and was going to post about some equipment questions but anyway, here I am.

I need some trees removed. One option was to use a logger who would harvest about 80 mature hardwoods of various speecies in exchange for also removing several that would normally cost big bucks from an arborist/tree surgeon. His price was to pay me about $8500 for the privilege. An arborist wants about half that from me to remove my few trees that are near buildings.

I would like to find a middle ground. The trees are at end of life. Are very large (40+ inches) and very tall. Likely over 100 years old. One has storm damage and needs to come out. A few others are just at end of life it seems.

Anyway - It seems loggers do not want to waste their time with such a small harvest. Arborists need to charge for their expertise and time.

What I would love to find is a guy with a small mill who would take these trees in exchange for a percentage of the lumber. (leave me some, I am a woodworker).

Anyway, the property is in South Central PA, outside of Dillsburg, between Harrisburg and Gettysburg.

Any suggestions?

Sorry to hijack this thread. I just had a thought and you guys are in the right location. I just joined this site today and was going to post about some equipment questions but anyway, here I am.

I need some trees removed. One option was to use a logger who would harvest about 80 mature hardwoods of various speecies in exchange for also removing several that would normally cost big bucks from an arborist/tree surgeon. His price was to pay me about $8500 for the privilege. An arborist wants about half that from me to remove my few trees that are near buildings.

I would like to find a middle ground. The trees are at end of life. Are very large (40+ inches) and very tall. Likely over 100 years old. One has storm damage and needs to come out. A few others are just at end of life it seems.

Anyway - It seems loggers do not want to waste their time with such a small harvest. Arborists need to charge for their expertise and time.

What I would love to find is a guy with a small mill who would take these trees in exchange for a percentage of the lumber. (leave me some, I am a woodworker).

Anyway, the property is in South Central PA, outside of Dillsburg, between Harrisburg and Gettysburg.

Any suggestions?

First, welcome to the site.

Second, that was a severe "armed" threadjacking!!!;)

Third, north side of Dillsburg or south?

Last edited:
What species of trees? Right now alot of hardwoods are bringing nothing. I see your point and you are correct, not enough to bring in the big boys. Unfortunately, groceries stores, gas stations,utility companies, etc do not accept logs as payment. Loggers and arborists are trying to make a living just like everyone else, and remember you get what you pay for, don't let a flim-flammer try to drop trees next to your buildings!:D

Back