Eastern Hemlock Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And you kill a 372 in 3 months you must cut alot of timber.How are the prices of oak and pine there?
That's what I do for a living and I've got three kids,so I have to cut alot of wood.;) Oak prices are down and the Pine mill I like to use( Irving)is off and on.Firewood is a very good market for me right now.

What species of trees? Right now alot of hardwoods are bringing nothing. I see your point and you are correct, not enough to bring in the big boys. Unfortunately, groceries stores, gas stations,utility companies, etc do not accept logs as payment. Loggers and arborists are trying to make a living just like everyone else, and remember you get what you pay for, don't let a flim-flammer try to drop trees next to your buildings!:D

I'm unsure of the speecies. The loggers who wanted to take teh 80 trees of course did their survey and marked everything. It was a mix, I don't have the report, Red Oak, Poplar, White Oak, Black Oak, Chestnut maybe, Elm maybe. Not sure. I think the few that are near buildings could be Oak of some type.

I am a woodworker. I will be sad if the wood ends up as firewood. These are some pretty majestic trees. I'm also a capitalist. I fully understand the need to get paid. I also have a fiduciary responsibility to the property owners (I am part owner) to get the best deal. So far my options are to get paid for our lumber and loose 80 trees that we do not want to loose or to pay for removal of the few specific trees we do not want. In lieu of any other options we will pay a tree guy to remove them.

What I want is that middle ground. I have heard that some portable mill operators will do the job for a split of the wood and no money exchanges hands. Heck, I would go that route in exchange for just a few hundred board feet coming my way. I think the problem may be these logs could be too big for any portable mill.

I'm heading out to the property this weekend. Anyone want to take a look?

I'm unsure of the speecies. The loggers who wanted to take teh 80 trees of course did their survey and marked everything. It was a mix, I don't have the report, Red Oak, Poplar, White Oak, Black Oak, Chestnut maybe, Elm maybe. Not sure. I think the few that are near buildings could be Oak of some type.

I am a woodworker. I will be sad if the wood ends up as firewood. These are some pretty majestic trees. I'm also a capitalist. I fully understand the need to get paid. I also have a fiduciary responsibility to the property owners (I am part owner) to get the best deal. So far my options are to get paid for our lumber and loose 80 trees that we do not want to loose or to pay for removal of the few specific trees we do not want. In lieu of any other options we will pay a tree guy to remove them.

What I want is that middle ground. I have heard that some portable mill operators will do the job for a split of the wood and no money exchanges hands. Heck, I would go that route in exchange for just a few hundred board feet coming my way. I think the problem may be these logs could be too big for any portable mill.

I'm heading out to the property this weekend. Anyone want to take a look?

Would you be willing to pm me with where the property is? Can't say for sure I'll get there, but may be able to stop by sometime in my travels.

That's what I do for a living and I've got three kids,so I have to cut alot of wood.;) Oak prices are down and the Pine mill I like to use( Irving)is off and on.Firewood is a very good market for me right now.

I as well cut timber for a living but don't kill the saws as fast as you we can't sell a stick of pine here right now i had a guy ask me to cut his 80 acres has about 400 000 bdft of white pine on it but can't find sale for it right now.The oak was real bad for a while but have found some ok markets for it now.The firewood was good but this year i having trouble moving all i have from last winter not sure why other then the guy that is cutting all throats by selling his wood for nothing.What do you get for a cord of wood there.

I as well cut timber for a living but don't kill the saws as fast as you we can't sell a stick of pine here right now i had a guy ask me to cut his 80 acres has about 400 000 bdft of white pine on it but can't find sale for it right now.The oak was real bad for a while but have found some ok markets for it now.The firewood was good but this year i having trouble moving all i have from last winter not sure why other then the guy that is cutting all throats by selling his wood for nothing.What do you get for a cord of wood there.
$110 tree length delivered.

Both machines are 1980 models.Kinda old but I keep them in good working order.The 230 I've had since high school about 16 years,the 380 I bought 7 years ago.

There are goog machines i have a 1990 380 had it for 4 years now i use to have a 540 john deere nicier machine to run but i like the price of timberjack parts my self.

Latest posts

Back