Eastern states...You okay???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you keep your firewood inside? That's what I do... Sorry your going through all that.

I have 5 cords. No can do. I hid the cured stuff underneath green wood. Hopefully that will deter. OK can't linger any more. Dead cell battery. Talk more tom night.

I really do appreciate the offer. We have a good supply of MotoFuel. We still can't sell it due to the outrageous cost :msp_biggrin: We need fuel on a larger scale. I just can't believe gas stations don't have back up generators. 1/2 the stations are STILL without power. Fuel is there,
just can't get to it. Those with power run out and can't get shipments. Couples of miles east, well, it's not there anymore. What a nasty ##### Sandy was. Now, a nor'easter is looming for next week.

That happened here back in '09 stations full of gas, no way to pump it, stations w/ power out of fuel all over just an ice storm.

Hey guys. Here's an update from inside the volcano. We've now been without power going on 5days. This cell phone just flashed battery at me. Crap. It's 38 degrees at midnight now and I can't keep the house warm enough for the kids. No gennie to run my fans for the stove. No fuel left. Cops commandeered the last few stations. Drove one hour west to PA 2 nights ago. Bought 99 gallons in gas cans for neighborhood. All gone now in gennies. People have already tried stealing firewood from me so I can't evac to greener pasteurs. Enough fuel left in 2 trucks to get kids out in case of emergency. I've fixed 2 gennies in the neighborhood, wired a transfer switch for one of them, cut trees off lines, and supplied dry firewood in good faith. Now im being pressured into tasks I don't want and people are eyeing my wood. I can't carry concealed in NJ but I may start. Most of NW NJ is still dark. Rumors of guns pulled at supermarkets. Cell coverage only works at night and I charge off the truck during the day. More updates tomorrow night. Bet the news ain't telling you that!

No we're not (or I'm not). Sucks that people do that. Like mentioned I'd move the wood into a shelter where I could lock it, though you probably do not have that option. Wish I could help. Run you my gennie and couple cans of gas....

dw

Am in northern NY, never lost power, no trees down either, and no flooding. But hey, it gave me a reason to get out all of my saws and make sure they are ok, also gave my backup generator some use as I ran my house on it just so it got used.

I'm about 4 miles from the shore, and like mentioned before, the shoreline will never be the same....... We didn't lose power thankfully, but I was running my portable gens all over the place trying to charge up some fridge's for people. I really feel bad for the ones that didn't have power last night.....I woke up to 35 degree's....and I'm on the shoreline!!

I have one of those Tri-fuel generators gasoline ,propane and NG. With this generator and a 1000 gallon propane tank it can run a long time. I have never put gasoline in it. There is no maintenance problems with propane. It worked out very well when hurricane Ike came through and then an ice storm later that year. Stove and hot water heater is propane too. The generator is big enough to run my well pump.
So we can survive nicely without the grid.
A friend of mine has lived comfortably of the grid for years.

We split up in teams when clearing roads. The army needs to spread out on different roads, otherwise some have to walk a lot. I'd go ahead, bucking out stuff and flinging enough out of the way so I could drive through, then Tippy, the dump truck with a snowplow attachment would follow and push the trees off the road. If the trees got big, I didn't drive on through, but waited for Tippy to clear what I bucked out.

We get that heavy snow here most winters. It snaps trees quite well.

Take Care....

Thanks for the advise with the teams as I'm always willing to learn from others. We are very shorthanded for this kind of work with 'three man teams' max. . I have 14 different 'branch' roads in which my route I drive consists of so not a lot of walking involved. A team will start out at road entrance and clear to compressor or gas well site (normally a dead end road). Pick-ups with tire chains on all fours... NO BIG TRUCKS! Some roads dozer only. Most too narrow, too slick, and too steep in elevation for anything else. The plus side is snow is melting quickly making things easier. My electricity was restored last night and finally got some rest. Back to swinging saw again this morning with restored energy but sore back. Life is still a BLESSING!!! Hope things are starting to return to normal elsewhere too. John Nichols

I finally got power back 9:30pm last night (11/2) 100 hours with no power.

I have one of those Tri-fuel generators gasoline ,propane and NG. With this generator and a 1000 gallon propane tank it can run a long time. I have never put gasoline in it. There is no maintenance problems with propane. It worked out very well when hurricane Ike came through and then an ice storm later that year. Stove and hot water heater is propane too. The generator is big enough to run my well pump.
So we can survive nicely without the grid.
A friend of mine has lived comfortably of the grid for years.

What is the make/model of your genny? It sounds quite practical compared to the gasoline only models.

Today's Update part 1

As promised, I'll update again tonight. This time I can be more thorough - I'm on a laptop instead of my phone. It got too cold last night, so we bugged out and went south to some relatives to seek refuge with heat and power.

Woke up this morning and decided to try to find somewhere to get the kids a nice hot breakfast. Didn't want to go too far with the gas crunch and all, but...... Talk about fuel shortage?!?! Passed a few gas stations, lines were 300 cars long - like half a mile. Other stations were still closed. People are waiting 3 hours to get capped at $20!!! Saw a Sunoco with a few hundred people standing outside with 5-gal containers. Idiots. See below:
attachment.php

Anyone with a brain would have done what I did 2 days ago. Round up all the gas cans in the neighborhood and drive west. Filled 99 gallons and the neighbors bucked-up to replace the fuel I burned on the 1.5 hr round trip. Pennsy has all the gas you could ever want:
attachment.php

I wish I had someone manning a camera while I was cutting, but everyone was busy freaking out. So I grabbed a couple shots when I could. My next door neighbor had 2 giant white oaks drop on his house Monday night some time between 2000 and 2300 hrs. Here's a shot of it Tuesday morning, notice the tree from the backyard crashed right through the center of the house:
attachment.php

A town DPW worker showed up in a loader the following day, and between my 064 and his bucket, we removed the tree from the house. That trunk took the whole 32" bar like it was Jenna Jameson:
attachment.php

Here's a shot after I cut through another big blowdown a couple houses down from me that was blocking the road and was responsible for ripping down the main power feed line to the neighborhood. That stump had some flyback once I freed it up. The loader moved the rest off to the side of the road. Thinking about somehow milling that clean trunk you can see in the back of the picture.
attachment.php

I have one more picture that won't fit into this post, so I'll push a 2nd one......

Today's Update part 2

One more picture and I'll finish up today's update. With the ridiculousness of the fuel carnage around here, my brother decided to go BIG time. He took my idea of Pennsylvania gas cans to a new level. Maryland fuel drums! See below. He had to drive down there yesterday for work and brought a solid stash back with him - 110 gallons. Now we'll be good on fuel for all the trucks without waiting on lines like the rest of the idiots. Best believe these barrels are hidden away under lock&key and full-time supervision.
attachment.php

The moral of the story so far - People need to start working in teams. There is no 'squad mentality' nowadays. Everyone lives an "every-man-for-himself" lifestyle and that's why idiots are standing in the cold, 200-people-deep, for hours, just to get 5 gallons of gas. If people work together, you roundup ALL the cans and do something smart with them. It's so difficult to operate with such limited resources, I would love if we could pool resources and put everyone in a better place. Instead of every house having 1% normalcy, 10 houses can come together and share 10% normalcy.....a little bit closer to a better life. My roof-less neighbor and I are the only ones sticking together and we're going to come up with a plan to work with the rest of the neighborhood after all this blows over. To try and get an action plan together for the future, and educate anyone willing to listen to what 'squad mentality' is and why it works. So much of the mess we're in currently could have been avoided if people would take their blinders off.

Anyway.......still without power, but staying with family for one night in the heat. Going back to the black hole tomorrow. Still a high percentage without power in the NW part of the state. Will update tomorrow night if anything changes. Cross your fingers for me, guys. Sorry for the long post - I really haven't had the chance to be social much in the past week since I couldn't go to work. I'm starting to miss work hahaha

I am located in central NJ. Jersey shore took a major hit. Many houses in ruins in many shore communities. power and natural gas weeks or in one case months from being restored. Residents of some towns told a week to ten days at best before being allowed back to check on properties. New York also hit hard. My area of NJ hit hard with many down trees and power lines / poles. Schools closed for a week. Most areas 4 to 5 days without electric with a few towns still out. Many areas in my town had major tree damage and Tree meets House issues. If you care to see some pics or video, google Seaside Heights Hurricane Sandy and also Long Beach Island (also listed as LBI ) Hurricane Sandy. True devastation to the Jersey Shore area.

Getting better, thanks for asking!

Live about 10 miles from coast in CT. Big ash fell down in backyard. 44" DBH. Irene beat up the area pretty bad last year. No power for 8 days. This year was back on in 3 so very lucky. Thank you, thank you, linemen and tree workers!
Tried to find a site where I could loan my generator. No joy. Someone need to figure that one out.
On the bright side, I am now the proud owner of a Jonsered 90 in really fine shape. I snagged it just for the Ash in the back yard.

z71mike no need to apologize for the long post. I was thinking of you and your situation after your first post. I like the pics and updates. It sounds like you and your neighbor have your priorities straight and I hope that you can get your lives back to normal soon. Good luck and be safe. I for one will be looking for more long post with pics and updates.

Really glad to hear you guys are getting by. z71Mike, sounds like you got your priorities in order, just goes to show how much we rely on fuel and other resources. We take for granted the fact that it is always there, and when it is not it becomes a scene from Mad Max.

Really glad to hear you guys are getting by. z71Mike, sounds like you got your priorities in order, just goes to show how much we rely on fuel and other resources. We take for granted the fact that it is always there, and when it is not it becomes a scene from Mad Max.

Mad Max is exactly what my neighbor said yesterday haha. I will be keeping at least one drum of fuel on site at all times now. Just need to come up with a safe and secure way to store it. Maybe below grade......

Stay tuned!

Mad Max is exactly what my neighbor said yesterday haha. I will be keeping at least one drum of fuel on site at all times now. Just need to come up with a safe and secure way to store it. Maybe below grade......

Stay tuned!

We have a Mad-Max saying around here -- "thunder dome" -- when things get crazy and it all breaks loose.

The problem with gas storage is both ethanol and general storage issues. You can deal with the general issues with Stabil and get a year out of it (maybe 1.5-2 under good conditions). But the ethanol problem doesn't have a good solution. If you could get non-ethanol gas, treat with Stabil, and then use up old and rotate new gas in periodically, you'd have a viable long term solution. I do that in 10-20 gallon stores, which is usually enough for most scenarios for me (only need it for saws really -- we get by without a generator in our current situation).

For our next house, I want to go with a small diesel generator just because the fuel storage situation is more reliable, plus I can share the tank with my tractor and keep rotating fresh supply in. We'll be out in the sticks at the next place, where people can go without power for weeks after a storm.

Being prepared really helps, problem is with natural disasters, allot of people just sit back and wait for help, before trying to help themselves.

Latest posts

Back