Ebay Milling Saw-HELP!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reeder

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Alright. I've got numbers spinning in my head. This saw-that saw...geez.

I've got the lumber (Lodgepole pine-Colorado-up to 22" diameter).

I'm going to get the Alaskan 36" (thanks guys!)

NOW...There are saws on ebay...066, 395xp, 2100XP (buy it now). Looks like they're within my pricerange. I'm looking to spend about $500 on the saw (with shipping). Thoughts? Pros-cons?

I'd really rather buy local (Westminster, Colorado) but I'm not finding anything. Any ideas from local guys? Good saw shops for service and/or selling used saws in my range?

Sorry guys. I thought I had it, but it's just got my head spinning.

Figured I'd better just ask the experts.

Thanks guys (whew)[exasperated]:( :dizzy:

Reeder

That first saw is always a toughie! But nice to have all those choices, eh? Here's my take...

The 2100 is a great saw, a perfect miller. On the down side, they are getting hard to find parts for, especially ignitions. I mill with one of these saws and I am stalled out building another..the culprit..the ignition.

The 394/5s are very good also...I looked into these and there are plenty of new parts, but not so many used. Heck, I see more 2100s than 394/5s on EBAY! The 394/5 is a great saw but may cost you a pretty penny as parts wear. If you have the resources, this is a good choice, though.

The 066/660 is the most prolific of the millers....there are SCADS of parts out there, so you have a choice of used or new. There are excellent performers. Milling is very hard on saws and being able to tear into one is a terrific asset.

Bottom line, I will be moving my milling operations towards the 066. I will probably end up with one nice one and a number of parts saws.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your choice and keep us posted!

Last edited:
Andre:

Thanks! Great answer. I put a bid in for a 066. We'll see what happens. Looks like that saw will be my preference.

I can't wait to bust into those logs!! :D

Reeder

Reeder,
Just a FNG here, but I'ld be kind of wary of ebay saws. Lots of people just use ebay to get rid of problems.....
I think a better saw for the same or less money could be had here on this site, either for sale or WTB, or PMs.
Rich S.

Bailey's sell good rebuild kit's

Doesnt matter if you end up with a bit of a dud , Bailey's sell rebuild kit's for bugger all , Piston ring's and head for 066 or 660 about $129us over here same gear close to $920us , so you know where I will be getting my part's eh . Cheer's MM

Last edited:
Yeah those ebay deals scare me too...check craigs list or iwant for local stuff.....sometimes placing a want ad on either will turn something up. If you do buy on ebay ask plenty of questions and save the answers incase you need a refund.

Well guys. Thanks for all the advise! I followed it, and bought a saw from someone here. I'll fill in the details when I receive the saw.

Thanks again,

Reeder2094 :chainsawguy:
Oh yeah...I'm feelin' it...

Me too! What options?

Well guys. Thanks for all the advise! I followed it, and bought a saw from someone here. I'll fill in the details when I receive the saw.

Reeder, Please allow me to hijack your thread until you get your new saw...

Guys, I've got permission to upgrade from my 570/28" bar to a big saw for my 36" Alaskan. I've got my heart set on a 395xp/36" bar.

I really would prefer a used, i.e. broken-in saw, vice a new one since I've learned here that it might not be wise to subject a brand-new saw to the stress of milling. Right/Wrong??

There is no craigs list locally (or any used BIG saws in this part of the country). My options as I see them are local dealer (1 used 3120 for $1250, same price as the new one on the shelf???), ebay (Scary, but I'm watching a 395), and Baileys (seem to be real good people and have good prices, but again, it would be a new saw).

Depending on what I hear from you guys, I'll likely put a "wanted" ad in the trade'in post, but there are already some there...for a long time.

Ideas??
Thanks,
Michael
P.S. Still working on that spalted pecan tree and I'll get some more pics up soon.

Marmaduck, as long as you just used the saw as a saw for a few tanks, you would be fine. As far as finding big used saws, I'm in the same kind of place that you are. Watch the classifieds here, or buy on ebay from a guy who sells saws and has a good rating. My 066 came off of ebay, the 3120 and 372 came from here. The dealers here look at me like I'm insane sometimes with my big saws, I'll guarantee they remember me. Even a 372 is a bit memorable here, and probably there as well.
Guys like us don't have many other choices. You won't find one down there.

Mark

Marmaduck, as long as you just used the saw as a saw for a few tanks, you would be fine. As far as finding big used saws, I'm in the same kind of place that you are. Watch the classifieds here, or buy on ebay from a guy who sells saws and has a good rating. My 066 came off of ebay, the 3120 and 372 came from here. The dealers here look at me like I'm insane sometimes with my big saws, I'll guarantee they remember me. Even a 372 is a bit memorable here, and probably there as well.
Guys like us don't have many other choices. You won't find one down there.

Mark

Yeah, If I remember, you got a wicked deal on both the 3120 and the 372 conversion kit. That was a pretty nice dude that hooked you up. Haaahahahaaaaaa! :spam: :cheers:

Yeah, If I remember, you got a wicked deal on both the 3120 and the 372 conversion kit. That was a pretty nice dude that hooked you up. Haaahahahaaaaaa! :spam: :cheers:

Naah, he was kind of a tool, IIRC....:cheers:

Marmaduck, Chopwood is a perfect example of the kind of guy you want to deal with. This site is filled with them.

So, Chopwood, you making it back out here this fall?

Mark

I posted some pics a short time ago of a saw I recently aquired. I bought it off of ebay from a guy located in MO. the saw in question is a near pristine 051. in case you are not familiar the 051 is nearly the same size as an 066 (a bit over 2cc diference). the 066 runs at higher rpm but has a bit less tourqe. won't start the debate of which is better for milling as both will do the job. just wanted to point out that there are some good saws on ebay and the prices are not too bad if you have a bit of patientce and don't get caught up in having to have a particular saw. I paid $350 including shipping. sounds like a lot for an 051 but it is truely in pristine condition.

I have been runniong an 051 for milling since 1994 and have never had any problems getting parts. in the time I have used the saw I have replaced the oil pump gears and seal, a set of rings, a chain side cover plate, and two air filters. this has enabled me to mill several thousand BF. the reason I picked up the new 051 is to have a back up saw that will pull the 42" bar, my 038 that I use for trimming and small miling just won't pull that much chain.

Now I am not necessarily sugesting you jump in and get an old saw. they are great for milling but tend to have a history of hard use. they are saws capable of handling hard use but unless you are prepard to do a bit of wrenching and are willing to gamble a bit on a pig in a poke I would recomend a new saw for your first and pick up an old one later as a back up/second saw.

Ms660 at Gano's $1030us

Reeder, Please allow me to hijack your thread until you get your new saw...

Guys, I've got permission to upgrade from my 570/28" bar to a big saw for my 36" Alaskan. I've got my heart set on a 395xp/36" bar.

I really would prefer a used, i.e. broken-in saw, vice a new one since I've learned here that it might not be wise to subject a brand-new saw to the stress of milling. Right/Wrong??

There is no craigs list locally (or any used BIG saws in this part of the country). My options as I see them are local dealer (1 used 3120 for $1250, same price as the new one on the shelf???), ebay (Scary, but I'm watching a 395), and Baileys (seem to be real good people and have good prices, but again, it would be a new saw).

Depending on what I hear from you guys, I'll likely put a "wanted" ad in the trade'in post, but there are already some there...for a long time.

Ideas??
Thanks,
Michael
P.S. Still working on that spalted pecan tree and I'll get some more pics up soon.

Gano's have MS660 Stihl's for $1030us Cheer's MM http://www.ganos.com/chainsaws.htm

Bargins can be had

Two months ago I happened to be at the saw sharping shop I ask the owner if he knew anyone with an old 090 stilh as I was after one for parts. He said he had a complete saw as he collects saws....long story short...I walked out 1hour later with a 090 for $300, took it home, new plug new fuel, 10 pulls and it sat idling. Starts first pull kid you not. The only other thing was to adjust the governer as it was only reving to 7500rpm.

Have not tried it in the mill yet.

Oden

Two months ago I happened to be at the saw sharping shop I ask the owner if he knew anyone with an old 090 stilh as I was after one for parts. He said he had a complete saw as he collects saws....long story short...I walked out 1hour later with a 090 for $300, took it home, new plug new fuel, 10 pulls and it sat idling. Starts first pull kid you not. The only other thing was to adjust the governer as it was only reving to 7500rpm.

Have not tried it in the mill yet.

Oden

To use an aussie colloquialism, "you old son of unwed parentage"! - - - :clap:

(for those not in the know that term can also be a friendly expression)

Latest posts

Back