Ebay saw shipping

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike mandry

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Well, I won a super EZ parts saw last night on ebay for $15 It was the sellers first sale. They had 1 neg feedback from a seller.

Anyway, the saw is in California & I am in MO (just north of St. L)

I sent the seller an email requesting the "Cheapest" shipping method.

I usually have them ship it UPS to my work as it is a lot cheaper........

So, I get an invoice tonight with a $48 shipping charge for a $15 parts saw.

$63 for a Super EZ parts saw with no spark.

I have a perfect feedback rating, but I am tempted to ignore this A$$hole & see what happens.

Mike

between a rock and a hard place

Darn. Its a good reminder to always ask what shipping is before bidding. Sometimes I forget . I guess I would figure the weight, and calculate ship on the USPS website, and tell the guy thats the price you are willing to pay. Hope it works out, Good Luck!

I got to say if you did not ask before hand then you may be out of luck. Also if the saw had a bar on it, then the box is going to be quite large and those old puppies do weigh quite a bit. I would get on a shipping calculator and double check but it really does not sound like it is too far out of line. I rarely ship anything other than USPS unless I have delt with a customer previously and not had any problems with them. If I get so much as a hint of attitude, then it is usps only and insurance is manditory. I have been burned way too many time from guys being cheap or a slickster. The threat of being charged with US postal fraud is the only insurance I have to hold over scam artists. Most people are great on ebay, but the guy who wants something for nothing or as close to it as he can possibly get; is always a pain in the ars. They whine and cry about every little thing, hoping that they can get it for free or at least some of thier money back. Some times the gripe is real and I feel that a honest business man should go out of his way to make it right. I can not tell you how many times I have bent over back wards to fix a complaint even when I know it was bogus. Most of the time I can do nothing about it; at least directly to the bidder. However there is a black list passed around the country amongst parts and saw guys of: scam artists, extortionists, whiners, thieves and general pain in the arses. We pass names around of people we have blocked from bidding on our items. Very few people ever make it on the list and it is usually only those who black mail or out right steal and scam. Just a dealers perspective. One piece of advice: honey catches more flies than vinagar and that is a 2 way street.

Mike,
Sorry to hear that. Bogus shipping charges are a serious problem on ebay, far ahead of direct fraud IMO. The ebay powers promised to do something about it at the last 'town meeting' but nothing tangible has come of this promise so far. Always ask first and simply refuse to do business with people that charge exhorbitant shipping.
Just got a Jonsereds 52 from an 'off-ebay deal. The guy said the saw has no spark, so no one bid. I emailed him and he agreed to sell it to me for the minimum bid. The off-ebay thing was at his request; I don't like to do those usually. It arrived today after about 6 weeks in transit with the US Postal Service :angry:
Anyway, it's got a fat blue spark and very little wear and tear. Piston/cyl/ring look like new thru the exh port. I'll try to start it tomorrow. Won an ebay auction for three 16" Windsor speed tip bars for $5 to fit it earlier in March. That's $5 for all three, not each, and the shipping was only $8. :p

Jimbo

Usps

I sent 2 small saws, 2 bars, 4 chains and one carring case out last week to a guy in Poughkeesie,NY from Pittsburgh,PA. $13.58, + $2.75 because the box was too large for machine reading. Insurance would have added more. Had they been new saws I'd insure them but used saws I don't insure unless asked to. JC called to say he got them but hadn't run them as yet. I also sent him a Sherrill's, a Balliey's and a Petzel catalog in a seperate envelope at $4.55 USPS. $48 sounds like a bit over for shipping unless he had the shipper pack it also, then it's about right for the box+ peanuts+ tape+ time+ shipping fee+ insurance+ tracking. Mike, "I got such a deal but the shipping killed me". Ask what the shipping deal is before you agree to send the money. Sometimes it's not a bad deal, it's just how it was done that adds up the $$$.

A 48.00$ shipping charge for any saw shipped in the USA is a bunch of bull. That guy is ripping you. I have sold over 250 saw on Ebay and have never had a charge close to that when it stayed in the US. I always use UPS Ground and remove the bar an place it in the bottom of the box. That sometimes will drop it down from an oversized package making it cheaper to ship. Hell I sold an old Mall saw to a collector in Germany and it was three times the size of an EZ. I shipped it with the USPS and it went over on a boat, it only took 3 weeks to get there and it was only 67.00 the weight with extra packing and tripple boxed was around 40 lbs. I would pay him his $15.00 for the saw and tell him to stick his shipping charge and the EZ bar chain and all up his a$$. You will be out 15.00, but he can't say you didn't pay for the saw. Just my thoughts

The shipping is too high.

I sent a 63 lb printer to Sedanman, TX to NY, via FdX ground, & it was a little under $33.00.

I recently worked with a seller on a shipping fee for a bass guitar. He wanted to use USPS because it was convenient; the fee was $79.00. I balked, & informed him that UPS only charged $42.00 per their website. He agreed to that fee, & I saved about $37.00. On the flip side I paid another seller $57.00 for 3 day shipping (not my choice), but it took 7 business days to receive the guitar. That seller twice declined/refused to give a partial refund. He got a neutral feedback (would've been a negative, but the guitar is nearly mint).

I MUCH prefer to use FdX ground. FdX seems to take better care of their packages, & their ground rates about match UPS. I deal with both at work, & while FdX isn't perfect, they are much better than 'Brown.'

And so it goes........Chris J.

Last edited:
From the west coast,to Ohio,is normally about A buck a pound,same from south Florida.If not so stated,I ask the charges,and keep a copy of the return.If I don't get a response,I don't bid.

Shipping UPS ground should be well under $20. Some people reason that it takes time
and materials to ship items, which is true. Just driving to town for me is getting
expensive these days. But the shipping charges should have been posted , otherwise
it is unwise to bid. Many sellers make their profit on the shipping charges, which
also keep their seller charges lower and paypal charges too.

i once sent 2 old david bradley saws with bars from ne montana to san fran for $40.00.just sent a chevy flywheel to finland for $42.00.both were sent using the usps as they were the cheapest.

Shipping Charges:

I've seen a lot of saws on ebay that I would have bid on except for the shipping charges. I usually send an email to the seller and ask what shipping would be to my zip code before I bid. If I don't get a reply in time I don't bid. Can't afford a lot of shipping cost and don't feel it adds to the value of the item. Sent a request for shipping on a saw from Idaho to NY, the fellow wanted $120.00 for shipping, NOT. As far as I know he still has the saw from other emails I've got from him. Don't know all the ins and outs of this shipping thing, but seems like a lot of over pricing going on. Take care. Lewis.

Many sellers make their profit on the shipping charges, which
also keep their seller charges lower and paypal charges too.

You might have also added that this practice, though common, is both unethical and a violation of the ebay user agreement for sellers. I readily admit that it is ???? near impossible for ebay to police this policy, nevertheless my criticism remains accurate. It is in ebay's best interest to get this problem solved, though.

Jimbo

The guy probably brought the saw, with the bar in place, to a Mail Boxes Etc and asked 'how much to send this to MO?'. In which case $48 sounds right. You need to get all packing and shipping fees up front. Did the description say he would pack it up for free?
John.......

Definately ignore it. I wouldn't pay if I were you. You need to email and nicely state in your email you plan on reporting this to EBAY. I got ripped on shipping once but it was listed on the auction prior to my bidding. 1977 rebuilt cr125 engine. Luckily no one was in the market for that engine so the bidding stayed low. Guy charged 50.00 and when I got the engine USPS had $19.00 on the box. I told him "thanks for the engine and I think your a dic! for the shipping rape". He said he had a handling fee.

Dont pay unless you think its worth it.

one other thing. I a lot of times in an auction will put a flat rate shipping. I figure it to florida ( I am in WA) This saves a lot of time answering emails. I assume that when a person no matter where they are (in my back yard or in NY) is going to subtract the amount of shipping from the value they place on the item and that is thier top bid. Up front shipping costs are the only way to go for both the buyer and the seller.

I just got an email from the seller:

hello are u gonna pay for the chain saw? we checked and that was the cheapest way my husband is in charge of the shipping so any questions ill let him know/... thanks amber n kalaney ka lani but its kalaney =d

Last week I won another SEZ The total cost with shipping & ins was $52 including the saw. And, it is in near mint condition.

Shipping that saw from cali to Mo should be no more than $17 (I checked)

Mike,

You can call UPS (1-800-PICK UPS) and schedule a package pickup from their address. You charge it your credit card or UPS account and send the seller only the bid price. They wioll have a tough time arguing with that. The package is picked up at their location and you only pay what UPS charges. I have done this and it worked fine.

klickitatsacket,

Sure the stated flat rate looks good to you but when it can be shipped to me for $10 because I am close and the flat rate is $35 it looks like a real bad deal to me. This happened last week to me. I bid based on honesty. I believe in honest shipping thus all the items I ship are are for real costs. That is one of the reasons my overseas business is growing.

Bill

Back