Ebay saw shipping

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tell him to get the usps shipping cost for the package dimensions and weight. This should not be over $15-20 as I have had saws of identical weight as yours shipped to me in Canada for that price. Some seller on E-bay wanted $11 to ship me a 2 ounce part. I told him that was too high and to check with the post office. He later came back and told me shipping would be $3.
Insist on actual shipping costs. If there was a handling fee stated in the auction, add this. If there wasn't, point this out and set him straight about what is proper and what is not when it comes to shipping charges. You can also point out that he will risk his ability to sell anything with a lot of negative feedback.

I'd e-mail him and tell him that I would be willing to take a negative feedback in exchange for giving him one or he could get a reasonable shipping quote, his choice. If you do have to go this way, you will have the chance to reply to the negative on you feddback forum. I doubt it will hurt you overall. I have sent large items 50 to 60 lbs. accross country for way less.

I've purchased and sold several small and large items on E-Bay and IMHO, the "flat-rate" shipping fee is a load of crap. The seller is calculating their shipping fee based on the furthest US continental distance possible. Works out great if you live in Maine and I live in LA, but what if I live in Boston - not such a great deal. E-Bay has a provision now for bidders to punch in their zip code and receive a shipping quote - so the "I don't have time to answer e-mails" excuse no longer gets it.

The fraudulent shipping and handling fees irritate me also. I'm often aware of the weight of different parts and the actual shipping cost. The times I've questioned the seller about this, I've received a reply that the difference in price is due to "handling costs." And then the box shows up - used for the third time, barely holding the starter unit in, w/o any packing material.

Tacking on unnecessary/additional shipping and handling fees equates to shoddy, unethical business. If a seller won't disclose their fees, or gives me the "handling charge" song and dance, I simply don't bid.

Well on a brighter note, I picked up a homie XL-101 at the flea mkt this morning.

A young kid about 8 or 10 had it all apart in a box. Dang thing looks like new. Not a scratch on it, amazing for a 35 yr old saw.

I asked if his dad was around & he said he would be back shortly. I waited & waited &........... So, I asked how much for the saw. Kid says how about 2 bucks, is that too much.

I was trying to figure out what was wrong with it because it really looks like new inside & out.

After some prodding around, I dicovered that the clutch was blown to pieces.

2 of the shoes were shattered & the 3rd was cracked. Guess the owner thought the motor came apart when they heard all that racket.

Other than that its as nice as it can get.

Ill post some pics in a day or two.

so does anyone know where i can get a clutch, or a set of shoes ??

Havent heard back from the seller with the super EZ.

I did find out that I can send him a prepaid UPS "Ticket" from my work. All they have to do is put the sticker on the box & ship it.

We also get a 20 percent discount because we ship about 20K a month with UPS

Sorry for the rambling.......

Mike

Well, I just got another email from the seller asking when I am going to pay.

Its only been a few days. Boy, I bet they sure are anxious to get that $48 for shipping.

Here is my reply to the seller:

Amber,

I apolagize for not getting back with you sooner. I have been gone for most of the weekend.

I was quite surprised when I saw the shipping cost for the saw. I just purchased the same model saw last week. A running one in near mint condition, for $50 with shipping.

I really cant justify spending $50 for a parts saw that does not run & has unknown problems.

I ship out quite a few items daily (several hunderd) at my work through UPS & we get a generous discount because we ship so much with them.

It is possible for me to send you a prepaid UPS shipping label for the saw from my work. That way, all you have to do is put the label on the box & drop it off at a UPS pickup site.

Please let me know if this is OK

I will just need to know the weight of the box (should be around 16 pounds) & your zip code that it will be shipping from.

if this is OK, I can pay for the saw & then mail you the prepaid shipping label & you can send it out when you get the label.

Thanks very much

Mike

The flat rate shipping is actually the most honest way to do it. You know the shipping up front, and you can just subtract it from what you value the overall item at. Thus if you value the widget at $100 and the shipping is $35 then you knowing this will bid $65. It is fair to the bidders 3000 miles away as it is to the bidders 10 miles away. they all get the same shot.

The best wat I have found is to include a shipping calculator in with your listings and then they will know what it will cost to ship. I also will let anybody who lives near and if they want pick it up to save on the shipping charge, that they are more than welcome to. If I sold somthing to a person that lived 10 mile away I wouldn't expect him to pay a 35.00 shipping charge. The calculator will keep a seller honest. Most of the time when you do buy somthing you know close to what it weighs plus the pound or two for the packing. If there is any handling fees it will be included in the price the calculator quotes

I will check and see if I have a clutch, I will put it on e-bay cheap, of course with my standard $29.95 shipping and handling charge.

HA, Ha, Ha I just heard from the seller.

Thier reply was this:

im sorry we cant do that i paid for shipping and now you dont want to buy it ? why would you bid on it if you were not serious!!!

Jeez, why did I bid if I was not serious.......

"I paid for shipping" I gues they already sent it off before I paid them, yeah right.

If thats the case, its going right back where it came from.

While you're at it, direct that seller to their nearest adult ed-um-cation center. Maybe that's why the shipping is so high.... their literacy is too low. ;)

The shipping on Ebay IS getting retarded. Saw an auction on a gas cap for the kid's Honda Fourtrax a few months ago... $16.75 shipping, packaging, and handling. (yes! JUST FOR THE SHIPPING!) For a frigging GAS CAP! :rolleyes: Went over to A-1 Performance, had the cap for $12.99. Stupid Ebay jerkoffs!

Back