Ebay weirdness

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoss

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well I had something interesting happen on ebay and I was wondering if anyone has had this happen or has some idea what it is about. This is not a rant as ebay is working out the details fine. Anyway I sell a saw and send an invoice and right after I send it I catch a mistake I made so I resend a new invoice that is correct and wait. Well There was no pay or communicating even after I sent 4 or 5 more messages asking to at least communicate (I guess being shady isn't enough for some, they need to add cowardly to the mix too). Enough of that though as here comes the weird part. The guy leaves me a positive feedback. I mean, no money has changed hands and he has no saw to leave feedback for. So what do you guys think that is about? Is it some kind of ebay trick/technicality?

Does sound weird. Havent had that happen before. Does he have decent feedback?

Sometimes they will leave you positive before the transaction is complete in the hope that you will leave positive for them. Wait until they perform on their end.

Sometimes they will leave you positive before the transaction is complete in the hope that you will leave positive for them. Wait until they perform on their end.

I agree and am always willing to leave a positive feedback. Sometimes even when not everything is as stated, but I can tell it wasn't on purpose, I will still leave a positive. I think the only time I didn't leave a positive is one time a guy took my money and never sent the saw or replied to me. Anyway this guy has gone four days without paying or even talking to me, so I don't know what's going to happen. It is in ebay's hands now.

Personly I never leave feedback until I recieve the item and check it out to make sure it goes with the description that was given. If it does no problem positive feedback. I only use paypal and one time the wife who likes those singer feather weight sewing machines wanted me to find one for her. So I find a nice one and buy it for her. The one I get was not even close to the one described and I so I put in a complaint with paypal and it procedes to lock up this guys paypal account until we came to a resolution. In the end it worked out. But this guy panicked when his paypal account got locked up and started begging me to resolve the issue.

As a buyer I have accidentally left feedback. I go into the "Leave Feedback" tab, where it brings up everything, and sometimes I end up leaving feedback for a item that I have not received.

Maybe that could be it. Just struck me as strange as it has never happened before.

Hoss, I sell saws on eBay too and often find I sell to guys who have no knowledge of eBay and have used their wives'/daughters'/girlfriends' accounts to get a 'bargain' saw. Mostly things go OK and communication proceeds through the female but sometimes you just get nothing, like you describe.

It sure is a weird feeling and I don't know weather it is because of a total lack of online know-how by the buyer or a case of cold feet after the excitement of the bidding has worn off. If you contact eBay they will refund your selling fees because of non payment.

eBay is OK but you have to expect you will deal with a fair proportion of kooks.:laugh:

Al.

As a buyer I have accidentally left feedback. I go into the "Leave Feedback" tab, where it brings up everything, and sometimes I end up leaving feedback for a item that I have not received.

I have mistakenly left FB on non recieved item too. Just glad item was OK. Some sellers have left pos immediately after payment.
Shep

I believe ebay to be flawed in this regard:

How can a buyer who pays on time, be anything but 100 %, and why do they have to wait for the seller to add feedback? It should be automatic.

Ebay should at the minimum track total purchases by a seller, which would be a good indication of credibleness. In my opinion.

Speaking of Ebay, I had a funny deal a few months ago that makes me rethink selling saws on there. I had a little Stihl 015L I picked up cheap that was not running, no spark. I found the ignition switch wire was grounded so I had it going pretty soon and it run fine. The saw was in great shape and obviously not been used much. I sold it to a guy on Ebay and 10 days or so after the sale he complains that I misrepresented the saw, it had leaking crank seals and did not idle correctly. By the way his test for leaking crank seals was to hold the saw upside down while it was running, if it died that means the crank seals were leaking. He stated that I should have sold it as a parts saw only. I said I represented the saw as a running saw, it was, and also no returns accepted. He filed with Ebay and after I saw that Ebay would not try and rule on this as to what I had listed the saw and what he admitted the saw was doing, running but with a poor idle. I refunded his money and paid the return shipping. I am kind of glad now, the saw runs great, idles good, no problems, I use it to cut off firewood splits that are too long for my stove. What do you guys think? Was I wrong? Is the seller automatically assumed to be at fault?

Steve

Speaking of Ebay, I had a funny deal a few months ago that makes me rethink selling saws on there. I had a little Stihl 015L I picked up cheap that was not running, no spark. I found the ignition switch wire was grounded so I had it going pretty soon and it run fine. The saw was in great shape and obviously not been used much. I sold it to a guy on Ebay and 10 days or so after the sale he complains that I misrepresented the saw, it had leaking crank seals and did not idle correctly. By the way his test for leaking crank seals was to hold the saw upside down while it was running, if it died that means the crank seals were leaking. He stated that I should have sold it as a parts saw only. I said I represented the saw as a running saw, it was, and also no returns accepted. He filed with Ebay and after I saw that Ebay would not try and rule on this as to what I had listed the saw and what he admitted the saw was doing, running but with a poor idle. I refunded his money and paid the return shipping. I am kind of glad now, the saw runs great, idles good, no problems, I use it to cut off firewood splits that are too long for my stove. What do you guys think? Was I wrong? Is the seller automatically assumed to be at fault?

Steve

Yes, that is the main flaw with e-bays feedback system, as a seller, you are automatically in the wrong, no matter what.
I sold a fuel line and filter last year, guy says it is defective, I tell him to send it back, with the envelope. He used a razorknife to open
the envelope, and cut the end off of the fuel line, and was dumb enough to send both pieces and both pieces of the envelope as well.
E-bay says tough, send him a new one, or else we will take the money out of your paypal, and refund him, and he will likely give you a
negative.

As a seller, you can only leave a positive feedback. How is that even remotely fair?

Yes, that is the main flaw with e-bays feedback system, as a seller, you are automatically in the wrong, no matter what.
I sold a fuel line and filter last year, guy says it is defective, I tell him to send it back, with the envelope. He used a razorknife to open
the envelope, and cut the end off of the fuel line, and was dumb enough to send both pieces and both pieces of the envelope as well.
E-bay says tough, send him a new one, or else we will take the money out of your paypal, and refund him, and he will likely give you a
negative.

As a seller, you can only leave a positive feedback. How is that even remotely fair?

That's crazy.I can't believe Ebay sided with the buyer in that instance, but I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.
You are right, the feedback system isn't even remotely fair.

negative.

I remember your post on this fuel line!

Well I had something interesting happen on ebay and I was wondering if anyone has had this happen or has some idea what it is about. This is not a rant as ebay is working out the details fine. Anyway I sell a saw and send an invoice and right after I send it I catch a mistake I made so I resend a new invoice that is correct and wait. Well There was no pay or communicating even after I sent 4 or 5 more messages asking to at least communicate (I guess being shady isn't enough for some, they need to add cowardly to the mix too). Enough of that though as here comes the weird part. The guy leaves me a positive feedback. I mean, no money has changed hands and he has no saw to leave feedback for. So what do you guys think that is about? Is it some kind of ebay trick/technicality?

Positive feedback? He has a conscious, lol.

It's a wonder he didn't make a claim for no saw arriving for the second receipt!

Had to replace several defective flywheels too! Guess what the defect was?

The guy couldn't make them fit on his camaro?

You were offering stihl flywheels and they weren't really made from steel?

They guy really wanted clutches, but ordered flywheels instead?

They were wheels all right, but obviously unsuitable and too heavy for the guy's pet fly to use as a toy?

Installed as directed on chainsaw, but chainsaw still does not "fly" just sits there and sometimes the chain goes faster..but no flying. Misrepresentation by seller

No no NO! I ordered flywheels, those round things that go up and down and make the motoh go vroom!

Back