echo 300evl help!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fall cutter

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have an echo 400evl, it will start with no problem at all and will rev up in a second, but as soon as it touch's a piece of wood it baugs down and will shut off if i continue to try and cut. sometimes it will rev up and baug down at full throttle when im not cuting. took it to 2 saw shops in the area and both said they didnt kno wat was wrong. ANY help please would be great! THANKS!!!

Last edited:
Did you try to richen the high speed mixture yet?

i would check the compression to make sure it is up there where it should be,,i believe it should be right at 140

You need some help to get the fuel mixtures set.

The high speed needs to be opened to the left a little

The low speed needle must be close or it would not start well?

ok i will tinker some more with the H&L speed first if that dnt work ill pick up a compresion gauge and test that, Thanks for all the help, hope this works

The diaphragm is in the carburetor.

Look it up on You Tube

Alot of times you can't tell just by looking at them but their not but a few dollars and from what you've described that's what it sounds like. Fixed so many with the same problem

ok so i got a carb rebuild kit and rebuilt the carb and the diaphragms inside were not bad but i replaced them anyway along with the rest of the it since i had the kit, ran it and still ran good until i went to cut, so i did a compression test, first time read 149 2nd time 145, which from what i read is normal. is there anything else that could possibly be wrong???...... and i also tuned the H&L fuel settings

ok so i got a carb rebuild kit and rebuilt the carb and the diaphragms inside were not bad but i replaced them anyway along with the rest of the it since i had the kit, ran it and still ran good until i went to cut, so i did a compression test, first time read 149 2nd time 145, which from what i read is normal. is there anything else that could possibly be wrong???...... and i also tuned the H&L fuel settings

leaks?

airleaks on some of the seals? Spray some carb cleaner or wd40 or something around the carb boot and seals while running, see if it changes rpms/sound.

fuel line collapsing under load demand?

coil malfunctioning as it heats up or gets used?

transient magnetic anomalies many kilometers below in the earth's mantle?

after that I got bupkis...

Under load it needs more fuel to keep running, does it get the fuel? Stop it with the kill switch right as it wants to stall in the cut, pull the plug and inspect it. Show a pic of that to the smart guys here (that's anyone but me basically), they can analyze that better than doc kildare staring at a dogbite...

Back